Dennis DeYoung wants to be back in STYX for final tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

2. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

I am down. not sure about the members of Styx though!

3. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

please no. have you seen any of his live vid's recently. looks like a comic caricature of a rock band. the current touring styx sounds amazing and vibrant though mostly a greatest hits package they do look and act like a rock band not a vegas show.

The Cat 3, ramdom, unclefred and 7 others like this.
  4. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Never say never but by the sounds there is a lot of bitterness with group towards him.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Dang, DeYoung looks like Tony Bennett nowadays.

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Depends how they would sound.

7. Paraphrasing:
    'Couldn't file suit, it would be like suing myself; after a year & a half filed for litigation'
    Que'?!?!
    Haven't played together this century...
    haven't spoken in two decades...
    everything should be fine!
    $tyx

elborak, Sneaky Pete, AidanB and 3 others like this.
  8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I say kick him while he's down. They should tell him they're interested and then offer humiliating terms that he will never accept. "You must wear a clown suit onstage." "None of your mawkish ballads allowed in the set list." And so on.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I'm not aware of most of Styx' songs nor lyrics ...
    But I'm guessing they've touched upon themes regarding friendship, reconciliation, forgiveness, overcoming petty bitterness, living for the moment, not dwelling on the past...
    (Hello Supertramp!)

If so, doesn't some of this come across as a bit hypocritical?

If not, then...
    Now they've got some ideas for a big comeback hit song. With DeYoung back in the fold.

blaken123 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Guns N's Roses getting back together always seemed more likely than a Styx reunion. He's been out of the band longer than he was in it. If you listen to Styx' recent album, you can feel that they really don't need to do their thing.

Fullbug, MikeInFla, Tlaloc and 4 others like this.
  11. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

if they had not just released a fairly well regarded album probably would have been a better shot but they can ride out this album high for awhile and not feel the need to look back.

my girlfriend is always mad that they never do domo arigato when we see em though so maybe she will finally get her wish.

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That may be true (I haven't heard it), but at least half the songs they perform live were written and sang by Dennis DeYoung.

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

No disrespect to James and Tommy, but the band wouldn't attract as many people if they just played their own songs. They have to play the hits. They do fall in the Nostalgia Act division.

14. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

It's funny, I just watched one on youtube. Dennis has some awkward moves (as seen here) but he certainly still has a good vocal range. He's always been a theatrical type - though, lacking a bit of theatrical talent. Overall, I care more about the sound.

AidanB, bru87tr and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Perhaps only be referred to on stage as, "The Artist Formerly Known as 'Kilroy'..."

ps - Pete Cetera wants to get back together with Chicago, too...only because he wants his Walkman back...

17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I vote for Jimmy Fallon instead...

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I am not a Styx fan, in fact, I loathe most of their output, but I am generally familiar with the band's history with DeYoung. If DeYoung rejoined for one "last tour," one would think they would have a shot at playing more lucrative dates and generating more income and acclaim for that one last hurrah.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Ah, the age old question. Are they doing this for the music? The money? The fans? Themselves?

Ultimately, it's up to Mssrs. Young, Shaw, and Panozzo. If they love what they're doing now and they wouldn't love it with Dennis, I don't see it.

Besides, they can't fill arenas anymore even with Dennis. They'd likely be playing concert halls and theaters. I imagine a theater tour with Dennis would dredge up some bad memories.

The old fans would love to see it, though.

head_unit, AidanB, klockwerk and 3 others like this.
  20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Mission is such a good album even without Dennis Deyoung. Styx should film a concert where The Mission is performed in its entirety.

ericc2000, The Cat 3, Tlaloc and 3 others like this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Outside of the fans who follow the band, who is even knows who Dennis DeYoung is?

Gowan has been in the band for almost 20 years and much of the audience probably thinks he's the same guy as in the old videos.

The only benefit we'd get out of this is Mr. Roboto would be added to the setlist and we'd get a live album.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The marketing campaigns would build up the reunion and remind casual fans and observers that something significant was happening. These things matter. Sort of like Steve Perry and Journey; Journey has toured and recorded without Perry for nearly 20 years and many causal fans probably don't know the difference or pay attention, but if Perry returned for a reunion, marketing and promotional efforts would make sure the public knew it was significant and a big deal. DeYoung or no DeYoung, I am still not attending, even with free tickets and parking.

23. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I say 'No!' My decision is final.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

When he's in the band, Steve Perry is the sole voice of Journey. Back when I was in high school, as far as the girls were concerned, he WAS Journey. An advertising push if he were to rejoin would make sense.

Styx, on the other hand, has always been a collective. I'd even argue that Tommy Shaw is more the face of Styx due to his more classically attractive appearance over frizzy-haired DeYoung. Unless advertising we clear that this was the guy who sang Mr. Roboto and was in the "Babe" video, I doubt many would care.

And no, I probably wouldn't attend. I'd wait for the blu-ray and watch it while the spouse was out.

M321115 likes this.
  25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

He's the reason the band started sucking. They all wanted to be more Rock & Roll and he wanted all the slow hits and crap like Mr.Roboto. I don't blame them one bit if they don't take him back.

Sorry, sounds a little cynical, but thats how I feel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.