Audio Note UK Ongaku Kensei 211 valve Single Ended Triode balanced amplifier now up & running!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 22, 2017.

1. finn

finn Forum Resident

I use the german tubes in my Ongaku Kensei and have been lucky so far in that they are still working. I have 2 pairs spare and had to send 1 pair back to Klaus via Peter which lost there vacuum and Peter replaced them. The unreliability came from very early production 211 tubes and the disaster of a 300B, the most unreliable tube ever issued and the cause of Klaus walking away from his company and leaving anyone who purchased them and had warranty completely screwed. I have 30 pairs on hand as proof if anyone wants a photo.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Of the 300Bs?

4. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Hi Brian, does German Electron Tube Manufactory Ltd, by Thomas Meyer, which now represents Elrog, not cover warranty for the old production tubes by Elrog?

5. Steve Hoffman

Heard nothing but bad rumors about this group. Best not to go there.

6. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Thank you for the warning, since I wasn't aware of the the bad rumours about this company.

7. Steve Hoffman

No problem. It's a shame, actually.

8. Seguso

Seguso Member

Hello John - I would be interested to see a photo of the updated speaker wire terminals if you get chance. Was this an upgrade made by yourself or by the AN factory?

Richard Austen likes this.
  9. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I will try to get one, but the back of the amp is difficult photograph due to position. I will, alternatively get the name/model of them.

10. finn

finn Forum Resident

hello Klonk,
    there was lot's of online statements made which amounted to zero. I have numerous email exchanges conducted between the "new" company and one of our customers who purchased new tubes manufactured 9 months earlier and failing within 3 weeks and being denied warranty and advising the customer to demand refund from us and repurchase from him direct. just ugly old history as far as we are concerned.

klonk likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

John, you're speaking of the Philips 5R4GYS that Kevin Deal has (now for $140 each!!) Are you sure that is a drop in replacement for a Raytheon 5R4WGB? Did you speak to Peter and Andy about it? Don't want to blow anything up.

Someone told me the Mullard CV378 might work (I have a bunch of NOS of them) but isn't that a GZ37? That can't be right..

I also have many NOS vintage RCA 5U4Gs. Would they sub?

I want the best sound but I don't want any sag or change because of voltage problems..

12. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters

The rather comical price tags on these units would require hearing the most astonishing sound ive ever experienced right off the bat, in 'MY' opinion, in order to negate the feelings of audio industry insanity that is unjustifiable cost, lol. But furthermore, enjoy them! I hope that once you feel that the valves and components have acquired enough burn in time, that it is the richest and most natural audio youve experienced in your home

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  13. Seguso

Seguso Member

Thanks John.

14. klonk

klonk Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply finn. This sounds really bad. I was actually considering at one stage to buy tubes from them. Glad I didn't.

15. Steve Hoffman

rca 211 two.jpg
    OK, now that I have a handle on everything, update, ELROG 211's out, RCA Radiotrons in. The true winner.

Next up, now that the amp has bedded a bit, the GE VT-4Cs are going back in.

Stay tuned..

Ere, Tommyboy and jkull like this.
  16. Metralla

I like how you arranged those old boxes

17. Steve Hoffman

If you have enough boxes it maps out the entire world.

18. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

Both Nick and I have been running them for over a year and they work fine. Nick does it on his Gaku Ons and (I believe) he's done it on his Kensai. I have them in my Ongaku and never looked back. Peter claims they don't put out enough, however our experience says otherwise. Given that Nick's the factory service for AN with extensive experience in the entire AN line, I have to go with him...

I am glad I bought an extra pair when I did.... Now if I had only done that with the Elrogs.... The good (or at least hopeful) news is that the MolyPlate PSvanes are going through testing right now and they are planned to be the high-end replacement for the AN 211 amplifiers.

19. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

I have not forgotten you... I am trying to get the information and will send it-probably next week

20. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

As promised, here's the link in the UK:

WBT-0705Ag Nextgen pole terminal | Hifi Collective

21. Seguso

Seguso Member

22. Steve Hoffman

Were your ears burning yesterday? Warren Jarrett was saying nice things about you..

Tullman likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Ongaku update.

As it breaks in it is bringing to all music I play on it a sense of realism I have not experienced in any other amplifier in my lifetime. It's really amazing. (Music well recorded and badly recorded, makes no difference, everything sounds more lifelike.)

Still has to bed-in more but silver is truly the new gold.

Mad shadows likes this.
  24. Metralla

Nice report. We audiophiles live vicariously through you.

baconbadge and Eigenvector like this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

I wish this thing was $5,000.00. Everyone should be able to hear sound reproduction like this at least once in their lifetime.

Mad shadows likes this.