Current YES tour (Steve Howe & Company)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rufus t firefly, Aug 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am curious if anyone has seen either of these current YES tours? The Steve Howe led YES band is playing Coney Island in a few days. I am considering going. Any feedback?

levi likes this.
  2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how many yes's are touring right now?

3. rufus t firefly

Sadly, there is a Howe led band, and a Jon anderson tour with Rabin and Wakeman.
    Its a YES schism. The Howe band is playing in Brooklyn next week. I have not seen them live in a long time. Just curious if any YES fans have seen either lately.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Last time I saw the Howe band was two or three years ago. Boring is the operative word. Looking forward to seeing the Anderson/Wakeman version next month.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if i may ask, who is singing with howe's yes?

6. rufus t firefly

Jon Davison, I think they grabbed him from a YES tribute band a few years ago. It sounds like Anderson was having health problems and they unceremoniously dumped him. Its not a happy story apparently.

RangerXT and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

is he the guy who sang on the last album?

i know a guy named benoit sang on 'fly from home".

8. rufus t firefly

I honestly don't know. I really haven't kept up with new releases from this band.

9. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Just two..

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. There's already quite a lot of confusion in this thread, so I'll attempt to clear things up...

Benoît David was the singer Yes recruited as their new singer from tribute band Close to the Edge for the Fly From Here album, and he was the one who fell ill during the subsequent tour, though I always found it somewhat ironic that he was dropped under similar circumstances to Jon Anderson (for the record, I thought he did a far better job than Jon Davison, which is more a matter of taste than sticking to the facts, which was my original intention with this post)!

RangerXT, Sean, 24voltsdc and 4 others like this.
  11. rufus t firefly

Can you blame anyone for being confused by this mess?

Sean, Desolation Row, qtrules and 4 others like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes, Jon Davison sang on 2014's HEAVEN & EARTH album.
    Benoît David was recruited to replace Jon Anderson in 2008 and sang on FLY FROM HERE in 2011 before leaving Yes due to his own health issues.

RangerXT, Sean and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The current line up of Yes (Steve Howe's version) is:

Steve Howe - guitar, vocals
    Geoff Downes - keyboards
    Billy Sherwood - bass, vocals
    Jon Davison - vocals
    Alan White - drums
    Steve Howe's son (I don't know his name) - drums

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

kind of like trans-siberian orchestra

Larry L likes this.
  15. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i personally think the wheels started to come the whole yes machine with 'union'.

16. zen

zen Senior Member

Fixed it.
    However, I think the wheels were changed by TALK; and then a whole new set of wheels for Keys to Ascension...and yet another new set for the Open Your Eyes/The Ladder period. And let us not forget, they put on a classic set of wheels for the all important (cough) 35th anniversary tour. :winkgrin:

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Howe/Yes tour only started two nights ago-- they are doing the "Yestival" with Carl Palmer and Todd Rundgren. The "Yes Featuring ARW" tour doesn't start for another three weeks.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  18. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Additionally to singing in Yes, Davison also wrote some tracks with the band on their last studio release.

19. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Chris Squire was the glue to Yes. He was the one person to be a member of Yes from the start. Just before he passed, Squire asked Billy Sherwood to carry on with the band as Yes.

ARW toured the United States earlier this year as ......ARW. (Anderson Rabin Wakeman) Then Yes is inducted into the Hall of Fame and then Presto - Chango ARW becomes Yes!

abescan likes this.
  20. MyNameIsNotSteve

MyNameIsNotSteve Well-Known Member

I had heard this. I've been listening to the ARW live shows and really enjoying them. Lots of energy and they sound like they're having fun.

Terry likes this.
  21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I saw the show in Greensboro NC. Random observations:

It's not a 'full festival experience'. It's just a triple bill concert. I expected as much, but the disparity between marketing and execution is disturbingly humorous. I mean, they don't even try.

Crowd was very mellow, super old and burnt out looking. These are the Yes faithful dutifully attending as they do. Not really jazzed about it, very whatever. Almost no lines for pretty lame looking merch.

Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy is not to be missed. Didn't know what to expect -- love he replaces Emerson with guitar heroics. Very inventive and also respectful to Emerson.

Rundgren is featuring mostly newer material with a touch of Utopia and early solo. Great for him! But one needs to be up on and appreciative of recent TR to fully enjoy, so I was at a big disadvantage. I liked much of what I heard, didn't expect dancing Todd.

YES - how the mighty have fallen. Sad this will be how they go out for me, as there's no chance I attend another of these shows. Howe can't keep up (completely bungling the YIND intro and playing behind the band all night), Alan White is literally not to be heard (or even seen at various points), and Dylan Howe sounds like a softer (and less interesting) version of Bruford. Billy is never as interesting as squire.... there's literally nothing happening on Squire's old stomping grounds. Same for Davison. They are hitting the notes, but none of it is interesting.

Missed setlist opportunities.... shouldn't be touching the first two albums.... bit since they insist... something unplayed since that era would be a treat. Leaves of Green followed by Soon is a loooong stretch of not much happening and another missed opportunity. A Relayer medley, perhaps? An abridged TFTO? Some actual effort to keep these tired old songs interesting? These guys are showing up barely even rehearsed, much less reaching for anything resembling new ground. Setlist song order is not innovation.

Same boring show, poorly played, cheaply executed. Oversold and under-delivered right down to the 'festival experience'.

Our Andall likes this.
  22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

By 2020 it's estimated that a full 80% of the people on Earth will have at some point been in Yes.

23. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yep I think Steve Howe's version of YES should just call it a day as they are way past their expiration date. These guys just can't play like they used too and it's embarrassing. At least with ARW they sound great, have lots of energy and are clearly having a blast playing.

Our Andall, Dog Ear, Jerquee and 2 others like this.
  24. zen

zen Senior Member

Darn, for a second there, I thought I was going to read something interesting.

AndydD and Drifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.