Star Trek Continues (the series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JRM, Oct 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

No idea @greelywinger but I know "New Voyages" pulled the plug as soon as the announcement was made. They even pulled all of their episodes from YouTube. As far as I know "Continues" plans to finish up a "season" then call it quits.

2. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Where did you hear this one? Always hoping for more episodes of STC.

Darryl

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

My understanding is that legally they can't say what they think about any of them. The closest thing they've done is the Star Trek Fan Films guidelines, and the official podcast had an episode where they chatted with CBS Vice President of Product Development John Van Citters about the guidelines:
    Engage Podcast Explores New Fan Film Guidelines

STAR TREK CONTINUES NEWS: Our Love Letter to STAR TREK
    STAR TREK CONTINUES NEWS: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers about remaining episodes of STAR TREK CONTINUES

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. MikeInFla

5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Deesky likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd always wondered how STC could continue in the aftermath of the Axanar debacle - I guess that video explains it. Still, if they really only planned to do 13 eps, then this decision isn't as bad as it could have been as they still get to do 11.

I've watched every episode. The show's strongest suit is its visual and aural recreation of the original - it's pretty much flawless and Vic does a good Kirk impression (save the vocal register). However, in terms of general acting and storylines, they haven't been very compelling (including the last ep which was pretty bad). To be fair, one or two have been quite decent.

Still, the downside is that in the future, shows like this will not be able to be made due to the restrictions arising from the Axanar lawsuit.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I just started watching it. I'm through episode 5, "Divided We Stand." I like it for what it is, and I commend the show's creators for their dedication and attention to detail. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I've heard that Vic Mignogna intends to bridge that gap between TOS and TMP, with the last episode being a changing of the guard, the Enterprise being handed off to the next captain, presumably Decker from TMP. I'd love to see that and would love to see them recreate the refitted Enterprise.

8. MikeInFla

The "other" series "Phase II" (also called New Voyages) is also pretty decent but when the lawsuit happened they up and quit. I believe all of their videos are no longer online but they did make one of a re-fitted Enterprise. Ah, found it, here it is but the lighting seems to be worse than what I remember. They are starting the refit and have MTP nacelles.

Some of these episodes were pretty good too. Not sure why James Cawley took most of them down. Even their website is completely gone.

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There are at least a few episodes up on YouTube. Maybe I'll give that show a shot when I'm done with Continues. This one features George Takei.

10. MikeInFla

If you can find them watch them all. A lot of them are pretty good. Walter Koenig also appears in an episode as does Gil Gerard (Buck Rogers). I remember Kitumba being a pretty good episode. I think one of the very early ones they made even features the original actor who played Matt Decker.

Someone also made some new Animated episodes that are decent but I think it is one or two people doing all the voices.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. JD Aldie

JD Aldie Forum Resident

"Continues" has amazing production value and effects (sometimes maybe even better than the actual Original Series). The acting is a total disaster. But it's so bad that it's endearing and very entertaining. Nice to see Doohan playing his dad's character!

Encuentro and MikeInFla like this.
  12. MikeInFla

13. MikeInFla

New episode, will watch when I get home

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

"E9 - What Ships Are For" was an interesting episode, albeit with a predictable plot. It started off a little shakily with a painful exchange of forced lighthearted banter. It's moments like these that really highlight the chasm between amateur actors and the professionals. Grant Imahara's Sulu is particularly painful to watch!

However, the ep was saved by an old pro, John de Lacie, who simply left the others in the dust with his performance. While the plot resolution was entirely predictable, I still found myself glued to the screen whenever he delivered his lines.

The other notable actor was the person playing de Lacie's onscreen wife. She looked so familiar. I kept thinking, could it be June Lockhart? Surely she would be too old by now to look the way she did. Later, in the credits, I learned that it was Anne Lockhart', June's daughter.

Overall, I liked it.

rswitzer likes this.
  15. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

hmm - Anne Lockhart - the only place I ever saw her was in that movie Troll - when June Lockhart turns into a younger version of herself....(unless it was another daughter) - it was good seeing John de Lacie - the episode was a bit cheesy but - probably more enjoyable than what CBS is trotting out next month ....

16. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

Anne Lockhart played Sheba in the 78' Battlestar Galactica. She did the rounds of 70's and 80's guest starring roles too. The best use was in a episode of Magnum P.I. where Anne and Miguel Ferrer played 1940's versions of their parents, June Lockhart and Jose Ferrer, in flashback.

17. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Just watched the latest episode.

It's too bad CBS doesn't make a series that uses the same aesthetic as STC – you know, TOS-like costumes, lighting, music, and props.

I love how STC looks. It just feels like Star Trek to me.

I'd be up for a show that looks like TOS – maybe featuring one of the other 11 Constitution-class starships in Starfleet.

Blimpboy likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

There is another fan made series called USS Farragut that it decent. While watching you have to keep in mind the actors are not professional but it is a decent series as well. They even did some animated episodes which are really good. You can find them on YouTube.

19. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The lack of professional actors (in familar roles to boot) is what hurts Star Trek Continues the most (IMO).

About the only roles that don't make me queasy are Scotty (Chris Doohan) and the ship's counsellor (Michele Specht). (Maybe because Chris Doohan looks enough like his father, and Michele Specht is playing an original character.)

Vic Mignogna isn't that bad an actor, but I just cannot see him as Jim Kirk. The actors who play Spock and McCoy aren't that bad either, but Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly are so iconic, the STC actors just don't pull it off (again, IMO).

I guess what I'd like would be for CBS to hire the STC production crew (especially the cinematographer), but with an entirely new crew performed by professional actors. (The acting in fan-made web series is always the weakest link.)

sunspot42 and MikeInFla like this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The penultimate episode "To Boldly Go: Part I" is up on YouTube. I enjoyed it for what it is. The final episode will drop in November.

21. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I'll wait a while to give my full opinion until more have viewed it. I felt it was more in spirit to a Babylon 5 story than classic Trek.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I won't. :)

I thought the script was nonsense on stilts! I barley finished it (with a few fast forwards). Frelling ESP/superpowers nonsense - that's not the reason I watch science fiction. I doubt I'll bother with part 2.

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The crossover and final episode of Star Trek Continues.
    [​IMG]

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

The set is good,the music is good,the bridge is good but whoa...who are those wimps trying to play-Kirk-Spock???Nah they ain't doin it for me,recast those wimps..send em TO WHERE NO WIMP HAS GONE BEFORE!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.