Lost TV shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

True, albeit there has been one G-T that doesn't exist in any video form anymore (only audio recordings and pictures, IIRC)-- Snap Judgment on NBC w/the late Ed McMahon (a 1967-69 word game that, in 1968, was changed to become more like Password, according to the EOTVGS3).

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

In high school, one of our classes was taken to New York City (from the suburbs of Philly), and as part of the tour we got to watch a taping of SNAP JUDGMENT.

Steve Litos and bmasters9 like this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I bet you had fun being there!

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The Premiere 1960's UK TV Pop programme Ready Steady Go!

fr in sc likes this.
  5. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I don't think Meader was blackballed at all; it was because JFK's assassination was so traumatic that who the heck could laugh at his shtick except people who hated Kennedy's guts? I thought Meader could've made a comeback if he had started impersonating Bobby Kennedy in '67 when talk about RFK running against LBJ for the Democratic nod heated up, but after June 5 of the next year....

Jamey K and Steve Litos like this.
  6. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

It depends on the show. I've been watching What's My Line in chronological order starting with Fred Allen's tenure on the panel. I'm up to May 1960. It's often been very interesting and informative from a political and cultural standpoint.

Steve Litos and ZippyPippy like this.
  7. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

True, but I think there also was a reluctance to permit humorous criticism of JFK while he was alive. Mort Sahl, who made fun of Eisenhower and Nixon, was questioned about his digs at Kennedy. "But we got him elected", Sahl was told. Sahl's response was "you didn't have to do it on my account".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    MortSahlFan likes this.
  8. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Only a few episodes still exist of the British children series 'Billy Bunter of Greyfriars School'. An attempt was made for a revival of the character but the BBC rejected the proposal.

Reader likes this.
  9. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Fewer than five episodes of TW3 exist. The tapes were offered to the producer and he declined, feeling that the timely nature of the show made them unrepeatable.

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Why on earth would you consider them lost? Both even reran in the 80s.

MikaelaArsenault and Vahan like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

They're lost to me, James, lost to me...

:angel:

12. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is the Literally Lost Thread. Poetically Lost is down the hall, hang a left, first door on the right after the men's room

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Ah, I'll get my coat.

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

What about the tapes that were sent to Canada?
    Monty Python - Wikipedia

15. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The Likely Lads - Only eight episodes exist.
    It's Awfully Bad for Your Eyes, Darling - Only one episode exists. The other five are lost.
    The Rag Trade - Only 21 episodes of the original 1960s BBC series still exist. The entire third series is still missing.

I'm thankful every episode of Steptoe and Son exists even if some of the original colour episodes are now in poor quality black and white.

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. HGN2001

The pilot for THE JOEY BISHOP SHOW was an episode of THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW and contained both Madge Blake and Marlo Thomas (S8, Ep23, "Everything Happens To Me"). The concept and last names were altered for the show when it went to NBC as a series and then were abandoned when they retooled it for the second season.

17. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Actually, not true. I remember reading that a producer was searching for tapes from a certain show, and by accident, found a wing of a warehouse with tons of video tapes from "The Hollywood Squares". I do believe the Game Show Network licensed a bunch of them and has shown them. You cant beat Paul Lyndes wise ass answers to some of those questions.

Benno123 likes this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Some of the things that show up on You Tube are truly astonishing in their rarity. I really enjoy the vids that are a collection of "Openings" of lost 1960s shows......some familiar names pop up on those lost shows.

Benno123 likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's About Time...wasn't this upcoming on DVD?

20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Hatching, Matching, and Dispatching. Hatching, Matching and Dispatching - Wikipedia

Long story short, it was an internal misunderstanding that lead to the production of the 6 episodes that exist. They are owned by CBC and will never see air again for many, many reasons. That said, a Christmas special is being aired this year and I'm very much looking forward to it :)

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I apologize for going off topic - sort of - but maybe someone like Vidiot can answer this. The first season of The Lucy Show was filmed in color but not broadcast that way. The dvd is b&w so do the color eps exist or what? Also, the last year or two of What's My Line were in color but GSN aired them in B&W, too. Do they exist? We got color TV in '69 so I can't confirm if they were originally broadcast in color.

22. HGN2001

Yes. CBS broadcast WHAT'S MY LINE? in color starting in the fall of 1966.

23. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

Under Ball's supervision, episodes were filmed in color beginning with the 1963–64 season, although they would continue to be broadcast in black and white up until September 1965. Ball realized that when the series ended its prime-time run, color episodes would command more money when sold to syndication. CBS was equipped for color but would only use color transmission equipment for feature films. They stated that turning on color equipment was too tough to do for short periods. At the time most color equipment and color TV sets were made by RCA, parent company of rival network NBC. CBS was reported to have felt that using color would be promoting a rival's product and would not be beneficial to CBS. Fewer than 5% of the population owned a color TV set in 1963.

Picture format

The Lucy Show - Wikipedia

24. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.