Bob Dylan Live 1965 (USA tour)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Since we're now able to hear the Dec. 1965 live version of "Freeze-Out/Visions of Johanna," and since Ray brought up books...kind of:

Visions of Gerard
    Visions of Gerard is a 1963 novel by American Beat writer Jack Kerouac. It is the first volume in Kerouac's "Duluoz Legend". Unique among Kerouac's novels, Visions of Gerard focuses on the scenes and sensations of childhood as evidenced in the tragically short yet happy life of his older brother, Gerard. Kerouac paints a picture of the boy as a saint, who loves all creatures and teaches this doctrine to four-year-old Jack. Set in Kerouac's hometown of Lowell, Massachusetts, it is a beautiful but unsettling exploration of the meaning and precariousness of existence.

Explanation of the novel's title
    Throughout the novel, Jack explores perspective and interpretations of the world—existence, reality, illusion—and through the death of his older brother Gerard Jack realizes the Truth that has been passed on throughout history. The title is consistent with that of one of Kerouac's other character-studies, Visions of Cody, which centers on his experiences with Neal Cassady. The novel inspired the title of Bob Dylan's song "Visions of Johanna" from his 1966 album Blonde on Blonde... (Wikipedia)

ALSO...
    Kerouac’s influence can also be heard on Dylan’s earlier album, Highway 61 Revisited. Two of the songs, Desolation Row and Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues include direct quotes from Kerouac’s novel Desolation Angels, including the phrases "the perfect image of a priest," "her sin is her lifelessness," and "Housing Project Hill." It is also informative to compare the song title Desolation Row and the phrase "junkyard angel" (used in another of the songs on the album -- From A Buick 6) with the title of Kerouac's book.

Desolation Angels was published in May 1965, and Highway 61 Revisited recorded in August 1965. The book was the first major Kerouac work to appear after Dylan began writing songs in the early 1960s. Clearly, Dylan was sufficiently affected by Kerouac's book that he chose to write those phrases into his new songs.
    DHARMA beat - A Jack Kerouac Website

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I can't get over what an upgrade this new source is to the "Berkeley" copy we've had for years. Great separation between the instruments for a 1965 recording.

3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Also, somewhat left field of the topic:-

Talking of "visions", here is the available Edinburgh '66 footage synchronised to the box audio, a remarkable labour of love by our friend Wvalebe over on ER. No mistaking the drummer at this one!

If this doesn't inspire you to complete your entertaining and informative review of The 1966 Live Recordings, left stranded on a side road somewhere in The Peak District National Park between Sheffield and Manchester nearly eight months ago, surely nothing will.

edinburgh.mp4

(Can't embed, sorry. Hope the link works. If not, you know what to do....)

#

4. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Is this no longer on youtube? I just got back from a poorly-timed vacation and see all this had to happen while I was away. I can't find this anywhere. I do not do torrents.

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Northern California is lovely to visit this time of year.

6. Catbirdman

Ha ha, copy that sir. Man, this sucks. I actually was in California - southern, though - when all this went down. Irony. I see it has now been duly removed from the historical record...

Ugh. Well, as Frank Black said, I guess that's just how some things don't materialize.

HominyRhodes and RayS like this.
  7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Has it gone?

I was otherwise engaged and didn't get to listen to it properly, unfortunately.

8. Catbirdman

Yes, 'tis gone. Everywhere the video appears on the internet it now shows as unavailable. There was a link to the video here in this thread and even that has been removed. I saw it on my phone while I was on vacation and kept my fingers crossed that it would still be up by the time I got home. Alas.

bobcat likes this.
  9. HominyRhodes

Okay, I can see the image now on my phone...I agree with Rev_V -- that is...something. And from what I've read, not too far off the mark. :D

rednax and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  10. HominyRhodes

Two amateur, conventional attempts.

(All Hail Allen Ginsberg.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

mgb70, Jimmy B., rednax and 5 others like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Now that's more like it! Good work

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can anybody even begin to figure out what's going on with these tapes? First we get a pre-announcement about their future 'public release'. Then we find out that the release is only on You Tube. Then they mysteriously disappear. Surely if there were a legal issue here, they would have been blocked before, or at least immediately, they appeared on You Tube, not a week later. I was lucky. I listened to both concerts twice before they were removed. The quality of the San Jose tape amazed me. And the musicianship too. It's so much better than the much bootlegged Hollywood Bowl concert from earlier in the year. I would still love to think that somehow, some time, the San Jose tape might really be made 'public', i.e. as a download item or a physical record, but I have my doubts. Oh well, glad I heard it when I could.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

No, it first appeared as FLAC files on a torrent site, it's still available there. Then someone copied it to Youtube as an inferior lossy stream. If I understand correctly it should now be legal for someone to sell it from Europe (minus the the San Jose electric set which appeared as "Berkeley" on the 1965 50th Anniversary set).

14. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the correction. Of course (IMO) the San Jose electric set is the best part of both tapes. This is now copyright protected so presumably cannot be released by anyone except by Sony. I know they made it available to a limited audience (of whom I am not one) but perhaps at some point they could make this, or one of the other 1965 electric sets, more widely accessible.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  15. HominyRhodes

There's no question that the shows Ginsberg recorded are of great interest and true historical value to people like us, but as far as commercial value to the public at large, it's hard to think of a scenario where it would be worth their while (Sony/Legacy/Dylan/Rosen/Ginsberg estate, et al) to officially release them, now that three-quarters of the material is already up for grabs in the EU, and the marginal audio quality wouldn't move a lot of merchandise, either in physical media form, or as downloads.

I remember buying the 2-LP set of the Beatles' *Star Club* recordings years ago, as well as those Elvis vinyl box sets with the horrific-sounding live recordings, and thinking that record companies did, occasionally, cater to the interests of dedicated music fans who were tolerant of audio deficiencies, and that they could even turn a profit doing so. But the SF/SJ tapes in this day and age? -- seems doubtful that they would bother. Hope I'm wrong.

Percy Song and The Bard like this.
  16. HominyRhodes

Has the complete Butterfield Blues Band set from Newport '65 ever been released? I have only these two live tracks. Peter Yarrow mentions the band's appearance with Dylan later that evening in his intro.

The musical backing for "Mellow Down Easy" sure sounds similar to "Maggie's Farm."

Peter Yarrow intro/Paul Butterfield Blues Band "BORN IN CHICAGO " Live, Newport 1965

Paul Butterfield Blues Band "MELLOW DOWN EASY" Live, Newport 1965
    PAUL BUTTERFIIELD BLUES BAND"MELLOW DOWN EASY" LIVE

Bob Dylan "MAGGIE'S FARM" Live, Newport 1965
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8yU8wk67gY

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band Setlist at Newport Folk Festival 1965
    Blues With a Feeling
    Look on Yonder Wall
    Born in Chicago
    Mellow Down Easy

Watching the Dylan clip again, it's amazing how much he'd changed by the time he got to Europe the following spring. At Newport he barely moves and looks nearly expressionless at times, although he sings well. (Mike Bloomfield's guitar work practically steals the show during "Maggie's Farm.") It would be interesting to see film footage of the electric sets from the fall/winter of 1965, to find out what he was doing onstage during that interim period, including in S.F. & San Jose.

Percy Song and RayS like this.
  17. Percy Song

18. I loved the S. F. acoustic set the best. I couldn't believe how great the versions of Desolation Row and esp. Visions Of Johanna are! Both are such incredible shows.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I can't get over how good the electric set of San Jose sounds. Much better clarity than before. Maybe sonically the best audience tape we have from 65-66?

Jimmy B. and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. Percy Song

I was listening carefully to the familiar “It Ain’t Me, Babe” from Berkeley San Jose, wondering what it was that Robbie did to cause Greil to hallucinate, when I found myself humming an old song during the choruses. I might have been hallucinating, though...

#

DeeThomaz and HominyRhodes like this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The Ginsberg Tapes have returned to YouTube, I assume temporarily.

@Catbirdman, if you haven't heard them by now, here's a chance!

owsley, Catbirdman, Judy8003 and 2 others like this.
  22. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I just spot played Gates Of Eden from the San Fran gig. Dylan's voice has noticeably changed to his full-on Blonde On Blonde era sluggish phrasing. Compare this performance to the Hollywood Bowl version from 3 months earlier which features his sharper, stronger Highway 61 era vocal delivery. Makes you wonder exactly when/why Dylan made the noticeable change in his performing style. These two late 65 gigs are fascinating discoveries.

23. juggernaut_jeff

juggernaut_jeff Well-Known Member

Looking at the OAC Guide to the Allen Ginsberg Papers posted online at Ginsberg (Allen) Papers , that tape looks interesting but unrelated to Dylan:

box 120, reel 1
    [Untitled] 1965 Dec 12
    Scope and Contents note
    Side A: Conversation with Joe Adams (Saturday evening and acid test). Side B: Home
    Made Song in Ferl[inghetti?]'s Cabin

FYI, Joe Adams was a psychiatrist at the Palo Alto Medical Research Foundation who conducted clinical LSD experiments.

In case you haven't, search for Dylan in that OAC guide, there are a lot of hits and some of them look interesting.

RayS likes this.
  24. juggernaut_jeff

juggernaut_jeff Well-Known Member

Listening to the recording over and over, I'm becoming more convinced he's not saying "Dick", but rather using "dig" as a colloquial expression:

"Hey dig, why don't you tape the concert tonight?" Clearly he's addressing AG with this statement since AG's the one with the tape deck.

Later to who I agree sounds like Danko: "Hey dig, whatever happens tonight I want to mention one thing" - discussion about the drummer ensues.

Again: "But dig, if you can possibly do it, don't lay it all on me."

Listen to it with this in mind, it definitely sounds like dig, sounds like Danko and makes sense that the bass player (Danko) would be mentoring the new drummer.

While Dylan says to AG we have a new drummer "tonight", the conversation indicates there were problems the previous night, it was making Danko "uptight" and Dylan and Danko agree it's not going to be like that tonight. The statement "new drummer tonight" spoken to AG makes sense if the last show AG attended was while Levon was in the band.

25. Judy8003

Judy8003 Forum Resident

Most grateful, i have it playing now, still in the backstage talking part. Almost 4 hours, i am so happy to have this sound of history evolving, lurching, skyrocketing.

i was at the Hollywood Bowl concert. This sounds very different. Different band chemistry. Dylan has a different persona. experiencing the audiences with the frequent booing in many of the venues, i think it had an effect on the style of the performance. maybe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.