Apple's 'Move To Trash' Sound Effect is audible during Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get It On' - Apple Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

I first noticed this a couple of years ago and it really bugged me. At first I thought I was crazy. But I just heard the track again, and it sticks right out.

At 2:56-7 in 'Let's Get It On', from 'Marvin Gaye: The Albums 1971-1982' (streamed via Apple Music) I can distinctly hear Apple's 'Move To Trash' sound effect that is heard on MacBooks when deleting a file etc.

I recorded the section, and have added the isolated sound effect in question at the end also. Take a listen and tell me if I'm crazy or not. Get It Error - Clyp

Here is the Apple Music link for those who need it: Marvin Gaye: The Albums 1971-1982 by Marvin Gaye on Apple Music

How did this get there? Is it on any other releases of this compilation? I'm curious how such a thing could have occurred, and why it apparently hasn't been noticed before (unless I missed it, I just tried searching)?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I started laughing out loud when I listened. I definitely heard it, which means it's there or we're both crazy. I think I've got multiple copies of that song so I'll check them out and see if I hear it elsewhere.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

That reminds me of the time when I was recording a live radio stream (XFM, I think) on my laptop and when I played it back, I heard the Microsoft Outlook alert bell chime (an email reminder popped up, apparently!). :laugh: Luckily they archived it so I could re-record it with the sounds off.

But on Apple Music? That's embarrassing! :biglaugh:

4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Trust Marvin to engage in wanton copyright theft.

5. Thrillington

Well, at least this confirms that I'm not hearing things!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I've got the deluxe edition of "Let's Get It On" and "20th Century Masters Vol. 2" and it's not on either, so that kinda rules out some weird anomaly that would make a similar sound. Wonder how many of those are out there in the Apple universe?

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Is that what they mean when they say it's "Mastered For iTunes"? :righton:

8. Thrillington

Couldn't find 'The Albums, 1971-1982' on Spotify, so perhaps it was an iTunes and Apple Music exclusive? Released in 2014.

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Wow. That must mean they recorded the song playing on a Mac...and used it as source? No other explanation, is there.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Maybe Marvin was using word painting to indicate his condom landing in the trash?

11. Thrillington

That was my first thought, but I initially figured that surely such an amateur mistake wouldn't have happened.

DTK likes this.
  12. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

I know some people at iTunes, so I will start to escalate this.
    No promises on a result.

13. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

These days, nothing surprises me anymore

14. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Why does it need 'escalating' ? It's perfect as it is.

15. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Curious about it

16. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Would have sense if it was the AOL "Signing In" sound.

DiabloG and DrBeatle like this.
  17. McCool71

McCool71 Forum Resident

Curiously the sound is not present on any of the 3 versions on Spotify (Best of, Marvin Gaye '50' and Let's Get It On (deluxe edition)).

Could just be a digital glitch of course, but I agree it sounds very much like the 'move to trash' sound.

18. powerq

powerq Forum Resident

Didn't this also happen back in the Napster days with a version of the Springsteen-written Summer on Signal Hill? I seem to remember there were many "contaminated" songs back then. Not trying to thread-jack, just see this as a common thing, at least then.

19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Oliver, Radio, swampwader and 6 others like this.
  20. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Has anyone else verified this claim? It's highly unlikely, to put it mildly, that the song was "played on a Mac" and rerecorded when the Trash was being emptied. A little more likely is that there was a bug in the audio library on the machine the track was mastered on.

21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Possibly apocryphal trivia - the "bading!" sound at the start of The Visitors by ABBA is apparently an error tone from the computer that controlled the brand-spanking-new 32-track digital recording system Michael Tretow was working with for the first time on the album. He apparently heard it so often that he deliberately spliced it into the opening track as an in-joke.

Not sure I believe this, as you can hear what sounds a lot like the same instrumetn voice play a few other notes in the verses. Perhaps Bjorn & Benny deliberately imitated the sound to troll him. Or perhaps it's all a myth.

coffeetime, Larsen and driverdrummer like this.
  22. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Obviously the mastering engineer didn't care for this song and was making a not-so-subtle editorial comment.

JediJoker, DiabloG, crispi and 5 others like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

To bring the silly Apple empire down ;).

Meyer and mr.datsun like this.
  24. Thrillington

Will be interesting to see, for sure. Might at least find out if it was present before Apple received the digital files or not.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

My contacts within the iTunes org at Apple confirm the issue, and they tell me that things are underway to address the problem.

JediJoker, tmtomh, Plan9 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.