Their Satanic Majesties Request Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Jul 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverberationmusic

reverberationmusic Forum Resident

Sorry I missed your post, I was a fan of this version the second I got the promo cd of it back in 2001.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  2. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The post about "Dandelion" had me thinking about the connections between the Stones & The Yardbirds during this era and shortly before: in addition to Stu playing on The Yardbirds' Little Games LP, Jimmy Page & Brian Jones were the two guitarists on Nico's single "I'm Not Saying," released on Andrew Oldham's Immediate label (to be a fly on that wall!).

Page did quite a bit of sessions work for Immediate, actually, and also recorded with Brian on the A Degree Of Murder soundtrack.
    I think Page & also Jeff Beck played with Charlie and Bill on some of the blues instrumentals released under the name Immediate All-Stars - this was in '65 though, I think.

Not directly related to TSMR, but interesting. Of course, John Paul Jones shows up for "She's A Rainbow," and he joined some noisy band with Jimmy Page shortly afterwards.

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Really nice interview. Thanks for sharing this.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  4. sami

sami Mono still rules

I'd place them just like this.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In other words - leave it as it is!! I swear, if some people had their way we'd have nothing but comps, and no B-side gems or classic two-sided singles. Call it a flawed classic, or just flawed if you must. To me, TSMR is a stone classic (pun intended) that is among the best records released in 1967 along with Something Else, The Velvets & Nico, Moby Grape, Younger Than Yesterday, and Forever Changes. Much like Exile, it's a record I have to listen to in its entirety, a great record that happens to contain one of the great singles of the decade. Okay, rant over.

Thanks to @Musicman1998 and everyone else who contributed for a great job on the thread - I love these, because it makes me hear some songs I know like the back of my hand in a different way, finding new things I may not have heard before.

Looking forward to the Between the Buttons thread when you get to it.

5. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

The band put a lot of work into this record - during a year which was anything but stable for them personally & professionally. Listening to the mono album right now. Brian and Keith especially did a lot of overdubbing throughout, especially on the much-maligned "Sing This All Together (See What Happens)." Of course, Jagger and Richards especially were very dismissive of this album in later years. It has Jones' stamp all over it, perhaps even more than Aftermath. Which makes me wonder - if Jones' estrangement from the rest of the band over the course of '68 was exacerbated by the relatively muted reception accorded to Satanic. The various other situations (Keith/Anita, drugs, drug busts, etc...) all played major roles. Perhaps the backlash against the album (both from within the band and from without) also added to Jones' estrangement - he was given relatively free rein, for the last time. Hard to know. But in the interview from Monterey, Brian certainly sounds very engaged in the process. As with the Tootsie Pop, "I guess we'll never know."

6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I knew "Dandelion" from (the US) Through The Past Darkly. My parents had it when I was little tyke.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  7. I'd swear having read, a very long time ago, an interview where Jagger said that he was "rather fond" of this album - those are the words as I remember them. That was back in the days where everybody (...but me :O)) bashed it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Michael D and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

My feeling is that they challenged themselves and their audience like never before on this record, and frankly most of what came afterward was easier due to their earlier influences and it was easier to fall back into that vs. going in an even more progressive direction. The 'back to basics' approach of the next records involved an emerging formula IMO.

sami, ParloFax, munjeet and 1 other person like this.
  9. Can someone more "wind instrument aware" than I am, tell me why the English Horn / Cor Anglais isn't in the above chart? Isn't it popular enough? (It's one of my favorite instrument sounds, so I looked for it.)

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think it was just a woodwind diagram.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. While the EP format was going the way of the dodo bird by late 1967, it's worth mentioning the juke-box only Satanic Majesties US EP due to its IMO excellent track selection (if you're going to cull five tracks from the LP, these would be my choices):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Absolutely, superb selection! London nailed this one! Though I would have swapped position between "Citadel" and "2000 Man", because the former is the stronger, best end-of-side track for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  13. ^^ This EP is the coolest little record... Did it have the lenticular picture, like the album?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  14. Unfortunately no, just the standard all-cardboard cover. I've had this on my 'want list' for years but could never find one... well at an affordable price anyways.

Can you imagine walking in to some pizza joint with a juke box and someone puts on 'In Another Land'?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  15. Yeah!

They would have been smart to reissue this, perhaps this time with the lenticular picture and, while we're at it, in mono, in time for a Record Store Day; I'm sure it would have been a major hit.

16. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I love jukebox eps. I have some great ones, like Tapestry, Teaser and the Firecat, Golden Grass -Grass Roots, various Chicago albums:)
    always wanted Zep 4 just for Stairway ...ha.

...but to me this one beats 'em all.

17. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Another recording that sounds like "Dandelion" is Pink Floyd's "Remember a Day", especially the "blow away" chorus and looking back toward childhood; flower power.

Thanks to commenters for some connections that I never made, like somebody compared "Citadel" to "Get Off of My Cloud"; I can see that similarity.

I've seen people trying to pin TSMR on Brian, but Keith was the music director (listen to "Satanic Sessions") and the main songwriter . This was the album on which the Stones displayed the most musical growth.

18. no vinyl and i would buy it

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

The reel to reel is a cool item also
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I was away from internet access this past week so I know I'm late with the comments:
    2000 Light Years From Home
    A totally brilliant futuristic sounding song. Fits perfectly with this album. One of the best songs.
    On With The Show
    A rather mundane disappointing end to a pretty good album. Along with Gomper and Sing This All Together (See What Happens) these tracks keep SATANIC MAJESTIES in the good, but not great category.

21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The chart as pictured doesn't seem to make a specific point. Perhaps it was to show the standard and bass versions of typical orchestral woodwinds but they left out contrabassoon. The English Horn is not a standard instrument of the orchestra but what is called an auxiliary. Also there is no bass version I am aware of. It is not just a slightly lower oboe. Of course bass oboes, bass and contra bass clarinets (and contrabassoons ) are also auxiliary instruments.

sallymae_hogsby and Zoot Marimba like this.
  22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Is there a list or text somewhere that describes whether Keith or Mick was the principal songwriter (lyrics and/or music) of each of the TSMR songs, apart from Wyman's of course?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I never had this album when I was younger. Although I listened to the Stones of course. I don't think I had it until I was in my late 30s. I like this album if I listen to the whole thing. I take it as is. Of course, She's a Rainbow stands out though.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That EP is perfect...just about all the tracks you really need from this album!

All Down The Line and The Doctor like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

If the Stones had released this as just an EP (without any LP), then the critics would have complained that The Stones were copying the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour (double) EP, instead of the Sgt Pepper album.... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.