Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

most comedies do not age well

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Bachelor Party rules! I haven't seen Porky's since its cable TV heyday.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The Blues Brothers rules!

Zoot Marimba and Instant Dharma like this.
  4. I would say any film that relies on swearing and thinks it is funny - example the Sanda Bullock film 'The Heat'.
    Swearing can be funny but when it is used constantly it is just lazy and dull and stupid.
    A good example of funny swearing would be Steve Martin in 'Trains, Plains and Automobiles' when he uses the F word about ten times at the airport rental car desk.

Dark Mavis likes this.
  5. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

One of my favorite lines to paraphrase.

goodiesguy and Instant Dharma like this.
  6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

What do you think?
    Leslie Nielsen was pretty funny when he played it straight (like in Airplane). But later he played it funny and he was not.
    I only watched a few of his later movies so I can not really say the above with confidence. But I think he did quite of few later.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

The Naked Gun movies were ok but Police Squad was brilliant.

yesstiles and goodiesguy like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeab Jay and Silent Bob had some funny bits but it wasnt a good movie. Clerks and Dogma were really good but the rest just fodder.

Wanna talk about unfunny movies? Anything Adam Sandler besides Happy Gilmour.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah well...it was the 70's.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Nah, I can't agree - I like "Billy Madison", and the first 2 he did with Drew Barrymore are good.

A few others are funny as well - there are some real stinkers but Sandler has some good stuff, too...

TheVU and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. Oatsdad

I do agree that late 70s/early 80s seemed to be a prime era for comedies that didn't really have a plot. "Animal House", "Caddyshack", "Porky's", "Meatballs", etc. - lots of movies that were mish-mashes of comic scenes vaguely tied together into a movie.

"Blues Brothers" does have an overall narrative arc - saving the orphanage - but that's just an excuse for them to drive around, have little adventures and play songs. The movie's less than coherent.

Which would be fine if I thought it was funny, which I mostly don't...

12. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I've been watching a lot of comedies lately on Netflix even though I find most of them to be pretty bad. It just depends on what I'm in the mood for, and sometimes it's a movie that I don't need to take seriously.

I like Will Ferrell. Thought The Other Guys and Step Brothers were great (I particularly enjoyed the lion vs. tuna argument between he and Mark Wahlberg's character in The Other Guys). But I have to admit the other movies I've seen of his aren't nearly as good as these.

Adam Sandler is just terrible and I don't think I've seen one movie of his that I thought was good. I had to stop watching Anger Management and I rarely will stop watching a movie. Some of his films are bearable, that's the highest compliment I can give him. And they are bearable usually because of his co-stars.

Horrible Bosses was funny (I'm a fan of Bateman and Day). I saw HB2 and thought it wasn't as good. Similar as 1 but not as funny so you are left thinking that you're watching a second rate version of a movie you've already seen. To be expected I guess.

Saw all the Vacation movies. Sorry, I know these are classics but they are not at all funny. I think I smirked a couple of times. I saw the newest Vacation with Christina Applegate and Ed Helms. Thought it was much funnier than the Chase movies.

I think Ferris Bueller's Day Off was pretty bad. Massively overrated. Not really a fan of Caddyshack or Stripes either. A few chuckles but mostly not very funny.

I do remember liking the Police Academy movies. Plus one obscure 80's flick called Moving Violations, which I just picked up and will re-watch soon (starring Bill Murray's brother, John). I also remember thinking Dude, Where's My Car was pretty good.

13. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

My wife and I revisited the first "P.A." movie via Netflix just a few weeks ago, neither of us had seen it in dog years and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it's held up (in a low-brow sort of way). I'm not sure if I want to revisit the sequels though. I went to see quite a few of them as they came out in the '80s, and even back then I thought each one was worse than the one before it....

I loved that movie! I was in high school when it first hit HBO back in the '80s and I must've seen it a dozen times back then.
    I saw it again recently for the first time in a very long time and still laughed a lot.

14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Neighbors w/ Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi, it was brutal.

TheVU and numer9 like this.
  15. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I hope I like it. I spent $30 to get it on Blu Ray! Silly really. I rarely spend that kind of money on a movie (much less a stupid comedy). But it seems to only be available on DVD and BR, and the DVD was $20, so I figured just spend the extra $10. If the DVD was $5-10 I'd have bought it instead. The movie sticks out as a childhood memory...me and some friends saw it once or a few times and we loved it. So it's a nostalgia thing.

16. Oatsdad

For reasons I don't recall, I never saw that one - wanted to, but didn't.

Maybe because it got bad reviews? I was 14 and needed my dad to take me to "R" movies, so maybe the crap reviews made him unwilling to go?

Anyway, maybe I'll rent it and see if it's as bad as claimed! :)

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I disagree a lot with you here but I loved Moving Violations back in the day. If you liked that you should check out the Whoopie Boys sometime.

But dude, how can you not like Caddyshack!!??

Dude????

Lol

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  18. danner

danner Forum Resident

Neighbors got a lot of play around my house when I was a kid. I think it was just in that TBS/TNT rotation in the early 90s. It's not particularly funny, but the movie has a strange vibe to it that I found sort of endearing. But yeah, it's pretty famous for squandering Belushi and Aykroyd's talents by intentionally miscasting them.

19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I think that Lewis was at his best when other people (like Frank Tashlin) were directing him, they were able to reign him in. It's when he took complete control of his movies that they weren't as good.

I agree that Nielsen was at his best when he was the completely straight man in scenes and that didn't work when he tried to be funny. Another factor was his selection of movies. One I can point to is Mr. Magoo.

The humor of Mr. Magoo does not come from him being near sighted. It comes from his stubbornness about what he "sees" and that the world accommodates what he perceives, plus he is the center of chaos. But in Mr. Magoo the humor seemed to come from making fun of Magoo's nearsightedness.

20. Oatsdad

"Moving Violations" was an awful, awful movie - one of my friends watched it probably 50 times because it was so inept!

That said, it's awfully hard to hate a movie in which Clara Peller "acts"! :laugh:

21. danner

danner Forum Resident

Caddyshack was a major disappointment to me. I went in expecting to love it since I liked so many comedies of that era, but aside from a few funny lines here and there, its greatness eludes me.

ILoveMyDogs likes this.
  22. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I can't stand golf, I've never set foot on a golf course, but I can quote "Caddyshack" chapter and verse. Go figure.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

I can't stand ghosts. I've never busted a ghost, but I can quote "Ghostbusters"! Go figure. ;) :D

TheVU, Instant Dharma and keefer1970 like this.
  24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah, I have a feeling on re-watching Moving Violations it will be god awful. But we'll see!

I think I may need to watch Going Overboard, despite my disdain for Sandler. 1.9/10 on IMDB. That is actually pretty impressive. I don't think I've seen a movie rated so poorly with that many reviews (nearly 11,000). And I see Billy Bob Thornton is in it, so maybe it has some redeeming value.

25. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Caddyshack is classic. Dangerfield, Chase, and Murray are great but Knight makes the movie.
    Caddyshack II - anyone seen it? I have not. It looks horrible.

Instant Dharma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.