New Kendrick Lamar album, "DAMN". 14th April 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Apr 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

oh come on. we all know that if the visual element wasn't important, everything would be release in plain white sleeves.

2. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

I finally received my signed red vinyl today. Of course USPS completely thrashed the package. The autographed sleeve is mangled and both records are warped. Have an email in to support to see about a replacement. Very bummed and not super hopeful. :( :shake: :cry:

brownsugah likes this.
  3. Naughty Chord

Anybody else notice that the signed red vinyl has an alternate version of "Fear"?

The intro on the vinyl has a preacher talking over it that isn't on the CD. And after the last line "I wonder if I'm living through fear or living through rap" there is a "damn us all" vocal and then the preacher returns. I assume this is on all vinyl pressings. Now I'm wondering if there are more differences between CD & vinyl that I didn't catch on first listen.

EDIT: Apparently the "preacher" is Kendrick's cousin Carl Duckworth.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Zongadude likes this.
  4. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I just saw him tonight in Oakland! It was awesome, though short. I recommend seeing the tour come though your area if you an get tickets. He played a mix of new and old and went way back in his catalog

5. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Red EU vinyl shipped !

6. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

All the differences you are reporting are also in the streaming version. I suspect the CD version of the album is a slightly earlier edit and the streaming version (and vinyl version, apparently) is later, since CD requires a longer lead time.

There are quite a large number of differences. The most obvious differences are in "Fear," but there are little differences throughout. The clearest evidence that Kendrick changed his mind after preparing the CD edit and made the changes audible in the streaming version (and vinyl version) are on "Duckworth," when on the CD he says "God is one funny motherf'er," while on the streaming version this has been sanitized to "life is one funny motherf'er."

The streaming/vinyl version also has a bit less Kid Capri.

Naughty Chord and jfeldt like this.
  7. Naughty Chord

Thanks for the insight. This is fascinating stuff to me. How many artists release multiple versions of a classic album? It just keeps getting better.

Maggie likes this.
  8. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Received my EU red vinyl copy. Flat and sounds great. Very happy to have this on vinyl. Pity to have the parental advisory notice printed (rather than a sticker)
    on the cover but the cover pic (IMO) is pretty crappy anyway. Overall really happy with this purchase.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  9. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The Parental Advisory was intentionally included at that size/placement by the designer. It's part of the cover art.

musictoad and johnnypaddock like this.
  10. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Got mine yesterday morning, the corner of the sleeve is slightly creased but the vinyl looks OK (haven't played it yet).

The inner sleeves are both split and they're a bugger to get back into the sleeve.

11. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I'm still really enjoying DAMN; IMO it's every bit as good as TPAB and Untitled, Unmastered!

The CD is not audiophile by any means, but as others have mentioned the mastering/sound is surprisingly good. In fact, I was only able to appreciate DAMN after I listened to it on a decent stereo system. Only then did I notice how well produced the album is. It did a lot less for me on a car stereo and a portable device (MP3).

12. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

I'm pretty much in agreement. Damn also has some pretty impressive bass that really adds a fascinating dimension to the album.

13. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

Some of you probably already know this but DAMN is sort of two albums in one.
    There were rumors when DAMN was released that Kendrick would release a follow up a few days later that would be related to DAMN somehow. That obviously didn't happen but it turns out that DAMN can be (or is meant to be?) played in reverse order. I just listened to it this way and it really does make it a different album. Try it out!

More info...
    Kendrick Lamar Confirms His New Album WAS Meant To Be Played Backwards & Forward (Video)

14. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Picked up the black vinyl EU issue from the excellent Amazon.de 3 for 2 sale. The vinyl certainly sounds a lot less boosted than the streaming version I've been listening to in the interim. Consequently it's a much more enjoyable listening experience. The records are also flat and silent - I'll put up with some sub-par artwork for that.

15. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

At the current exchange rate, US residents can get DAMN on vinyl direct from the Universal Music Canada site for US$20 and change. Free shipping if you spend CAD$35.

16. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

17. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

FYI, DAMN just got released as a collectors edition (digital/streaming only I think) with the reverse play order.
    Think I will save my money and just continue to listen to the playlist I created from the original album.

Blue Note likes this.
  18. I've really been enjoying this album. Every bit as brilliant as Butterfly but more succinct. I've been listening to a playlist in reverse order as @nmesen mentions, and have really appreciated it in that sequence.

19. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

CD too

20. So is it just the track list is reversed, or are there other differences to the collector's edition?

21. djej

djej Forum Resident

If only the album title had been a palindrome.

Geee! and Naughty Chord like this.
  22. Sander

Sander Senior Member

hvbias, Gaslight, jfeldt and 2 others like this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

24. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

hvbias and Blue Note like this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

One of my favorite albums of the year as well. Might actually be the No 1 spot.

Also noticed that it's up for the Grammy Record of the Year, next month....but he's up against Childish Gambino and Jay-Z so not sure if he might take the win this time. Certainly deserved in my opinion.

Blue Note likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.