BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmczaja

jmczaja Forum Resident

Interesting.. The pressing of Warm Jets isn't a step above the 80's EG pressing? Can anyone else comment? My 80's EG is in NM condition and sounds great. If it's not a step up, I suppose i'll skip it.

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I didn't find it intolerable until the last track, I really like that one aswell...but it kept dropping out the ?left channel so did spoil it a little. Up to that point, I wasn't taking too much notice...

johnnyyen likes this.
  3. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have near-mint UK originals of Tiger, Green & Science (Science has the prints) and the early 80's EG re-issue of 'Warm'. - I'm assuming I don't need these new re-issues, certainly in light of the fact I also have the original EG CDs and the 2004 CD re-issues!

Does the new issue of Science have the prints? I'd love to have these but £25 each or £85 for the bundle is quite a lot if I don't really need them... (I've answered my own question already I think...)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The prints are recreated on the inside of the gatefold...

JP Christian likes this.
  5. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I also have the originals plus the same CDs and bought BAAS just to see what it was like as this is an album I have loved and lived with for well over 30 years. My opinion is there's no real reason to buy other than getting a clean sounding copy. Much like the Solid Air half speed if you have clean originals of these, the 45rpms sound relatively similar.

JP Christian likes this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Musically.

richbdd01 likes this.
  7. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

So for anyone that bought these, are they now the definitive editions?

8. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Still waiting for these to arrive in the mail. I have a mishmash of UK and Japanese originals to compare to when they do.

Found it strange that Miles Showell claimed to have used the 1/4" tapes, yet these are still cut from digital, and that the 16/44 downloads provided are supposedly the same as the 2004 DSD sourced CDs? Has anyone figured all of that out yet?

This is a pretty good comparison by Michael Fremer of Baby's On Fire from an original UK pressing and the 2004 DSD CDs...even listening via YouTube, the vinyl sounds better to my ears:

"Baby's On Fire" LP vs. CD

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

For me that tape deterioration is the weirdest part. We are living in the day and age where the tapes of some of our favourite records are starting to fade. And we eventually will be left with digital copies. Do we know where they have spend the last.... wait..... 40+ years?

richbdd01 likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I guess the deterioration must have happened in the last 15 years. Since the 2004 remasters or when those remasters were made.

richbdd01 likes this.
  11. Neonbeam

Which makes it weirder. There is this great story when Strawberry mastering closed in the 80s and they just pust boxes with masters on the street. I think I read somewhere that these included Joy Division tapes but I can't believe it.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Maybe they had those famous dodgy Ampex tapes. They might have had to bake the tapes, run off the DSD transfers and the tapes shed some of the magnetic coating at that point. Just a wild guess.

Sticky-shed syndrome - Wikipedia

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Hardly, if as posters have written, there's tape dropout on at least one album.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Really love the sound of 'Before And After Science', but have tried two copies so far that have excessive ticks and clicking on the final two tracks of record two side two. Anyone else having the same problem or should I keep trying?

15. Topcheeseman

Topcheeseman Forum Resident

I had some issues with Side 4 as well and they ended up giving me a full refund and telling me to keep the record as they had no more in stock.

16. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Listened to AGW . It was a step up from all my previous copies.

17. Neonbeam

Just looked at the Discogs entry and... wow.... UK originals are now 50€+? I guess I really need to get used to certain.... developments. Times are changing.

The entry said this album would benefit from the new treatment and that there where little details that weren't noticeable before. What do you think? Worth picking up?

18. Piero

Piero Forum Resident

For your experiences what problem CR had with Clarity Vinyl?

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Very noisy. Most of the Peter Gabriel 45s, as beautifully mastered as they were, were beset with really noisy vinyl. Not every copy, but a lot of them. Although I have a 140gm black vinyl copy of their mastering of PG4. The mastering is great, but it sounds like someone is crumpling paper in your ear throughout.

20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

That's what some of us have been trying to say since Page 1 of this thread! :) Finding clean UK original copies has been difficult the last 10 years or so.

Neonbeam likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

I guess I've been seeing these records so long for 10-15 bucks that I got used to it.

"Lust For Life".... another example. I totally couldn't believe it when those orange RCAs started to fetch really decent prices. I guess the big difference to Bowie albums is that neither Eno nor Iggy ever sold ****loads of records. So their stuff is bound to be more scarce. And their still very collectable artists. Musically speaking.

But 50 for "Another Green World"? Wow! I guess I need to readjust.

22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You need to change your name to Laserbeam and get with the modern world kid.

23. Neonbeam

Well I am just a modern guy
    Of course I've had it in the ear before:cheers:

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Another thing to consider: even fewer of the UK originals made it over to the USA than what shows up in EU stores. I think the desire for "originals" in the States has driven up prices substantially.

25. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

One thing I did notice was the extra detail in terms of how primitive some of the synths are ! But yes, I think it's well worth it if you already know the album. The one thing I'll say the four sides break up of the song order doesn't help the flow very well and is somewhat awkward ( on the other hand it worked surprisingly well with Warm Jets).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.