Ken Burns' new documentary: The Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

TWO SOUNDTRACK RELEASES TO ACCOMPANY KEN BURNS & LYNN NOVICK FILM “THE VIETNAM WAR”

THE VIETNAM WAR – THE SOUNDTRACK
    CD 1

1. A HARD RAIN’S A-GONNA FALL – BOB DYLAN
    2. HELLO VIETNAM – JOHNNIE WRIGHT
    3. IT’S MY LIFE – THE ANIMALS
    4. EVE OF DESTRUCTION – BARRY MCGUIRE
    5. TURN! TURN! TURN! (TO EVERYTHING THERE IS A SEASON) – THE BYRDS
    6. MASTERS OF WAR – THE STAPLE SINGERS
    7. MUSTANG SALLY – WILSON PICKETT
    8. SMOKESTACK LIGHTNIN’ – HOWLIN’ WOLF
    9. BACKLASH BLUES – NINA SIMONE
    10. THE SOUND OF SILENCE – SIMON & GARFUNKEL
    11. ONE TOO MANY MORNINGS – BOB DYLAN
    12. AIN’T TOO PROUD TO BEG – THE TEMPTATIONS
    13. ARE YOU EXPERIENCED? – THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE
    14. I’M A MAN – THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP
    15. GREEN ONIONS – BOOKER T AND THE MG’S
    16. STRANGE BREW – CREAM
    17. WAIST DEEP IN THE BIG MUDDY (LIVE) – PETE SEEGER
    18. A WHITER SHADE OF PALE – PROCOL HARUM
    19. THE LORD IS IN THIS PLACE – FAIRPORT CONVENTION
    20. FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH – BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD

CD 2

1. DON’T THINK TWICE, IT’S ALL RIGHT – BOB DYLAN
    2. PIECE OF MY HEART – BIG BROTHER & THE HOLDING COMPANY
    3. MAGIC CARPET RIDE – STEPPENWOLF
    4. THE LETTER – THE BOX TOPS
    5. BAD MOON RISING – CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
    6. SOUL SACRIFICE – SANTANA
    7. TELL THE TRUTH – OTIS REDDING
    8. OKIE FROM MUSKOGEE – MERLE HAGGARD
    9. THE THRILL IS GONE – B.B. KING
    10. PSYCHEDELIC SHACK – THE TEMPTATIONS
    11. OHIO – CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG
    12. GET TOGETHER – THE YOUNGBLOODS
    13. GIMME SHELTER – THE ROLLING STONES
    14. TAIL DRAGGER – LINK WRAY
    15. AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL – RAY CHARLES
    16. WHAT’S GOING ON – MARVIN GAYE
    17. BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER – SIMON & GARFUNKEL
    18. LET IT BE – THE BEATLES

3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Weird they'd go for Bad Moon over Run Through The Jungle. If there's one rock song that says Vietnam War to me it'd be Run Through The Jungle by CCR.

There's an interesting story in the Vietnamese who came to the U.S. wanting to keep fighting, they even had their own sort of Bay Of Pigs thing launched from Thailand/Laos that ended in disaster. They still have parades in Southern Military uniforms in some places like Texas from what I understand. They lost their country and family members after all.

4. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched the PBS preview on ROKU. Not really all that concerned about the music although it is clear from the preview that they took that aspect very seriously. I am certain that it will be an educational experience for me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

what's this gonna tell me that Apocalpyse Now didn't cover?

Friend of mine died from Agent Orange exposure. In fact, some guys died just because they did the laundry and were exposed to it. I hope Burns doesn't do his usual stupid 'somberly intoned' narration approach. Just let the men and women who were their speak for themselves.

Scurvy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

They really should have included We Gotta Get Out Of This Place by the Animals on the soundtrack.

7. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

When I was there in 1966-67, that song was heard umpteen times a day, every day!

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I wonder if he'll do the Civil War trick of following some people through the war and out the other side.
    That could be a sad cross section--some come out the other side intact, some are unbalanced, some are junkies, some disappear stateside, some in prison.......

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Should be very good.

10. Some, like John Paul Vann, experienced most of it first-hand and were then killed before it completely petered out.

A highly recommended read: https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Shining-Lie-America-Vietnam/dp/0679724141

Scurvy and ianuaditis like this.
  11. There have been a few other good documentaries on the war -one included excellent interviews with General Giap (died at 102!) who fought the French and the US successfully.

Rhapsody In Red and ianuaditis like this.
  12. Or Who'll Stop The Rain.

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

In an interview, Jesse Colin Young, who formed The Youngbloods, said that he had Vietnam in mind when he wrote "Darkness, Darkness."

14. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

And I heard in the news, a few decades back, that more died by committing suicide afterwards than died in the war itself.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow..............

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm not sure it's quite that bad... I hope not anyway, yikes! All kinds of insane stuff happens in most any war and when is it ever good vs. evil? All kinds of lip-service from so many about vets and heroes and all that but what really counts are actions and making sure people have the services they were promised at the very least, like the U.S. WWII guys got to go to college under that G.I. bill. People should come before anything else... speeches, statues, whatever. Do something then tell us about it right?

I hope this series will help people communicate anyway, maybe see things from someone else's perspective a bit (not completely). I'd like to see the Vietnamese point of view of initially wanting to be rid of the French that people had north and south after WWII, but did it ever get messed up where villagers having been inoculated for disease were 'poisoned' by the west or some village chief was a capitalist land baron to be put on trial with a death penalty. 'Uncle' Ho supposedly wanted a constitution based on the U.S. one at one time, now that's ironic! I hope Canadians know we had companies involved, for example making Napalm, I hate when people act like 'we' were all geniuses or superior for staying out of that part of the world.

17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Interesting and unexpected selection for the soundtrack - Fairport Convention's The Lord Is In This Place.

18. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

As a U.S. Vietnam veteran, I can state that the G.I. Bill helped put me through college.

However, on the number of Vietnam veterans committing suicide after leaving the conflict, it seems I had republished a myth--though actual numbers seem hard to pin down.

I decided to do a little research. Some sources list in the range of 50,000 to 100,000 suicides, while this page (as one example) states 9,000 is a better estimate. It's clear that there are complexities in arriving at precise counts, and that muddies things. It's also clear that too often there may be agendas at play when counts are offered up--whether low counts or high counts. While my original comment on the number of suicides was something I did hear, and it's not hard to find that exact statement still promulgated on the web, I failed to find any real and qualitative support for the statement that more Vietnam veterans died through suicide following their return than died in the course of combat. I regret making that statement.

Whatever the actual number might be, it is too great a loss of course.

ZoSoUK, Greg Gee, mrjinks and 10 others like this.
  19. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

And now, back to the discussion of the Ken Burns' documentary!

20. Thank you for going back and trying to pin down the source of your remembered story and not just digging your heals in and standing by a number difficult to quantify.

And thanks for your service to your country.

21. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

I liked having a narrator, like in the Civil War, as opposed to having nothing but the words of the people who were there, like in WWII. I think you get more info through a narrator. But they can have a mix of both.

I'm disappointed that the Beatles song is Let It Be. It will probably be at the very end, over the closing credits. That is one of my least favorite of their songs. But I am hard pressed to come up with a highly relevant song of theirs to use, except maybe working "Revolution" in somehow.

22. Oops, sorry I missed this note before I posted.

23. The Civil War narration was provided by both historians (answering Ken's unheard questions) and voice actor's reading letters or writings of various participants. The blend worked well for me, and they could do something similar for the Vietnam War doc.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"Civil War" is the gold standard for documentary productions.

I was not as impressed with his documentary on World War 2, however. He tried to personify the war by focusing on specific people and places, but I thought that this approach fell flat. But maybe I'm spoiled by all of the fantastic documentaries that I've seen on the History Channel and other cable networks.

There have already been several documentaries on the Vietnam war, including the excellent 2003 film, "The Fog Of War". Burns has his work cut out for him.

ando here and Sneaky Pete like this.
  25. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Was there is 1970 & 71 and I agree. It seems very hard to believe it was not included.

ZoSoUK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.