The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

always try to find that version. apparently there is a version without the nice pyramid and such

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Listening to Charlie's new 7/3/84 PCM (it sounds great) and hearing Brent's "Don't Need Love" for the very first time. I tell ya, I've heard worse Brent songs. But man his tunes just always sound so out of place to me.

adamos, Crispy Rob, Blue Note and 2 others like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

May 13, 1977 update:

"Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain" is slightly substandard IMO although Jerry's playing gets pretty dang great in the later part of "Fire...". The 2nd set sequence of "Estimated>drums>The Other One>Stella Blue>Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad>One More Saturday Night" is quite inspired (I'm still on "Stella" at the moment), but in a tour of great shows/great sets, it doesn't really stand with the best. It's well worth your time though. Ultimately, it's highly unlikely that 5/13/77 would've been a stand-alone release, but it certainly holds its own among its more illustrious peers.

In the future, I'll most likely just spin disc 2 of this show, which is great. Who knows though - while disc 1/set 1 is only okay, it might be fun to play the whole show again sometime.

I'd say that while the "holy trinity" shows from the previous week (May 7 - 9, '77) all rank in the 95 - 100 range, and New Haven (May 5), St. Paul (May 11) and Chicago #1 (May 12) are in the 90 - 95 range, this show is probably an 85/100 or something.

Edit: oops - that's right. I forgot that the three final tracks are "borrowed" from other shows. Oh well, they're great versions and blend quite well. I'm not sure I would've noticed their "falseness" if not finding out online. Thanks internet, LOL.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    adamos and BurtThomasWard like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

D'oh I accidently closed the entire browser and all of my text was gone! @%$#

And then I typed this, so it erased what I had typed before! (in another thread it was missing then reappeared after a I clicked away and back.)

@Ivand, 5-4-79 at Hampton set II is pretty good, if you like that late 70s- early Brent era.

That's much more to the point, albeit with much less information than what I had typed before.

Ivand likes this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

5/13/77 has some fun stuff going on at the beginning (especially the unedited version versus official release) and an early Jack-a-Roe and a few other things going for it, but after listening to 5/4 through 6/9/77 all in a row I'd say 5/13 and 6/7 are the weakest shows in that incredible run, with 6/7 having higher highs and lower lows out of those two. Neither are bad shows, though, the band was en fuego at the time.

adamos, notesofachord and budwhite like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Amazing 45min including Morning Dew. I wonder if they have a SDB in the vault? I listened to Bear's great AUD recording. Do not miss out on this due to there is no SDB available

7. budwhite

I just did that. Pretty damn gooooood! Bob and Jerry sounds awesome on that Dark Star.
    Garcia gets a lot of flac for draging the band down after '78 but it wasn't just him. I have never heard Bob play this good outside of 72-74. And Phil was more a driving force earlier also. Billy as the solo drummer was nothing short of amazing for the band in '72. And Keith's fantastic piano playing wasn't to be found after '77-78 either

adamos, vudicus, Spadeygrove and 3 others like this.
  8. budwhite

I did a sneak peak at 77-10-11 before I went on with show #3 from Europe '72.
    Oh boy, that was an excellent NFA in a great but short 2nd set. Highly recommended!

Set 2:
    Dancin' In The Streets
    Dire Wolf
    Estimated Prophet
    Eyes Of The World
    Not Fade Away
    Wharf Rat
    Encore:
    Around And Around

9. budwhite

I'm not going to review the Europe 72 tour other than a song or two.
    The 20 min Truckin from Newcastle(show #3) hit the spot, followed by a massive TOO that resolved in the first Comes a time from the tour.

10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

That sounds pretty close - the riff is definitely Indian-influenced to my ears.

Anyway, here it is (in degraded form), for those who don't own RTR -

(Skip to Track 22 and go to 9:00 - 9:30)

bzfgt likes this.
  11. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

8-22 destroys me.

bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

No SBD in the vault. Just Bear's AUD.

:mudscrying:

budwhite likes this.
  13. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Funnily enough, my 'hatred' for this release in mind, I have both. To my horror I found that the nice pyramid had come unstuck and that all three discs (!) were covered in glue residue. Typical for the GOGD and Rhino, eh? Quality first but of the most fragile kind.

So anyway, I thought that they maybe were ruined (they weren't) and I bought an additional copy from eBay which had the bonus disc. What it lacked was any pyramidical fun, tho :rolleyes:

Edit: a word in Norwegian slipped in somehow. So I changed it from 'fra' to 'from' :D

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I prefer 8/24, but all the BCT shows are good. Of course, so are the Sept Stanley Th shows, and the Oct Fox Th shows...

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...and I can see that. It's unique in that regard (stretchiness). I suppose what I meant was, "The way they play this doesn't really work for me. I am surprised that it works so well for so many people."

I can think of quite a few Dews that make much more sense to me - Freedom Hall '74, Cow Palace '76 (well, '77), Pembroke Pines '77, Landover '79. As usual, the band's music speaks to different people in different ways. Thankfully.

I think it's the third last and second last songs. I believe the encore is legit on the official release. One thing that really bothers me about this "patch" is that the actual 13 May performances of both songs are quite different in feel and even tempo from the patches ones. I reckon they could have done a better job at finding suitable stand-ins. It's too bad there's no AUD tape of this (...yet.)

bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  16. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Looks like some good choices to go with on "This Day in History"

8/23/68 - Shrine
    8/23/69 - Pelletier Farm
    8/23/71 - Rochester, NY
    Heck, even 8/23/80 from the first Alpine Valley show

Decisions, decisions.

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'm still angry that after buying the FLACs of DP29 on Livedownloads, where the bonus tracks from this show were advertised, I didn't get the bonus tracks because they weren't actually included. I complained and their response was an e-shrug.

I desperately wanted as much of this show in officially released HDCD as I could get.

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

My notes for the Pelletier farm show are mostly about whether there's a cut in Dark Star as they don't seem to sing the first verse. It's a fairly spacy rendition, so chances are they just didn't play/sing it. Also a very solid Hard to Handle for that era, and Mama Tried and Sittin on Top of the World are both fun. Also a good Live/Dead sequence to contrast with the versions on the album.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  19. budwhite

Charlie Miller wrote this yesterday regarding Monterey pop

I transferred the two beta pcm's of Monterey Pop Festival that David Gans lent me. Sounds awesome, better than my pcm's. Very good mixes. I have no clue as to what circulates other than the GD set. This is about 5 hours of music. I'll pass this on to Jamie for review (if he has time).

20. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

That Shrine show is a BEAST, the one before Two From The Vault. I went nuts on August '68 a few years back and it quickly solidified as one of my top "Dead months".

21. Claxton

Looking forward to it. Prime Pig with a "Sittin'" and Live/Dead suite ALWAYS sounds like a good time to me.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

23 Aug 1971 was at the Auditorium Theater, Chicago. A fine show, along with the 24th.

23. Claxton

Stupid ReListen. It says Rochester. Not the first time this app has burned me, doubt it will be the last.

ianuaditis likes this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

OK, I revisited 4/24/72 Dark Star>Uncle Dark Star as it's been mentioned here a lot lately and that got me excited about it. It's long been one of my favorites, and like Archtoop I waver between that and 4/8 as my favorite of the tour (and maybe all time although there are a few contenders--probably 9/21 and 11/11/73 are the only other ones of which I can't decide which is number one).

Someone mentioned some melodic playing around the ten minute mark? Apologies, but I couldn't remember whom or the exact time. They go into the Dark Star theme and then Jerry messes around with something using his volume knob for several seconds before going back into it, is that the passage in question? It sounds great but I didn't hear a recognizable (to me) quote, or anything...

The post-avuncular segment is mesmerizing...

25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Bird Song and Sugaree from 9/18/87 are tremendous, I haven't heard the second set in years and years and it is now in my sights...

I also listened to Road Trips 4.4 from 4/6/82 today. The filler Playing>Ship>Jam is outstanding, as mentioned recently by someone here I also forget whom (sorry! it's nothing personal, just a lot of posts to remember).

I am assured that the album is at the wrong pitch, which seems to be the case with 65% percent of official GD releases, but I can't tell from listening and kind of wish I wasn't red-pilled...there's a Charlie Miller fix somewhere and after the ipod incident, I have decided I'm going to get a couple hard drives and go back to lossless, so I'll get my hands on that soon, probably.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and Archtop like this.