Lets talk about Talk Talk *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Den., Dec 15, 2015.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Wow, nicely done, thanks for the heads up! Really good record, and that looks like a pretty nice new issue coming up too, though I know some here people don't like the 45rpm 2-LP sets... does make it a bit expensive to get over here in the US, with postage it's around $42, hopefully there will be some better deals than straight from Fire Records.

Newly remastered in 2017 from the original analog tapes at Metropolis Studios by Graham Sutton and Stuart Hawkes, and reissued officially for the first time, Bark Psychosis’ debut ‘Hex’ will be available on double vinyl / CD / Hi-res FLAC on September 15th

Baidur and Hallogallo like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I scored a NM copy of It's My Life on vinyl this week for £8 and it sounds awesome, also now completes my collection of all their studio albums on vinyl. Going to enjoy these for a while before venturing onto his solo album on CD

Merrick and jamesc like this.
  3. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Just a thought...

It's tempting to assess the Talk Talk albums as an evolving creative process, and maybe they are (?). But I like to see the albums (especially before and after Colour) as just different. To me it would be weird to deem The Party's Over as an unevolved Laughing Stock. They are aiming for a different expression, a different goal. And I think they both succeed brilliantly, and they should be rated accordingly - on their own merits.

No wonder people argue about which era (expression) is preferable. They are very different, and intentionally so, and as such there is no right or wrong expression-preference.

It's quite possible to enjoy opera and heavy metal without forcing them into a rigid hierarchy of value.

bcaulf, jamesc and Porkpie like this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I love both periods, you could actually play the 5 albums back to back on a Saturday evening going from the new romantic/new wave at the start through the hits and then onto the last two albums late night. They're all great for different moods, and the extra tracks collected on Asides Besides is excellent too

Scope J and JeffMo like this.
  5. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

There is a new reissue campaign on PledgeMusic: The Party's Over and It's My Life, on new vinyl. No sign of extra tracks, and thank goodness there are no remixes here, either. Due in October 2017. No other info, at the moment, but still decent news for fans of this great band.
    :pineapple:

jimhb, jamesc, Naughty Chord and 2 others like this.
  6. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That's interesting. I don't know anything about Pledge Music though, are their reissues digital transfers? It states they may have had little or no input from the artists so I'm guessing they just licence the tracks and put them out. I wonder what the quality will be like?

7. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

PledgeMusic is an online direct-to-fan music platform, launched in August 2009, that facilitates musicians reaching out to their fanbase (termed Pledgers) to pre-sell, market, and distribute music projects including recordings, music videos, and concerts. Broadly speaking it bears some similarities to such platforms as ArtistShare, Kickstarter, Indiegogo, Patreon, RocketHub and Sellaband.

PledgeMusic considers itself a direct-to-fan platform as opposed to a crowdfunding website. Features of PledgeMusic that distinguish it from other crowdfunding systems include that it:[1]

• is solely focused on raising funds for musicians
    • does not retain any ownership or rights to any music created through the platform
    • encourages artists to include contributions to charity as part of their fundraising project
    • absorbs all transaction processing costs involved in pledging on a project
    • encourages artists to offer a wide range of incentives and exclusive content to pledgers
    • does not process any funding transactions until the funding target is reached
    • is international, accepting artists, projects and pledgers from all over the world
    • allows pledger refunds
    PledgeMusic allows two distinct types of campaigns: direct-to-fan and preorder. In direct-to-fan campaigns, fans are not charged until the project target is reached, at which point money is collected in an "artist account" that holds the money for disbursement to the intended recipients. If a target is not reached, fans are not charged. In preorder campaigns, fans are charged immediately, and the artist is paid directly upon project completion, much like traditional online retail

(Hope that helps with what PledgeMusic is about...)

Porkpie likes this.
  8. bleachershane

9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

At what stage do you find out the source of the recordings, whether from the original tapes or digitally sourced vinyl?

10. bleachershane

That's an interesting point, is there a way to message whoever has put this pledge up onto the site to ask the question? (There is a 'Discussion' section where I suppose a question could be posted).

11. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

These are also showing up on Amazon.co.uk so they are not a PledgeMusic exclusive. Amazon says they are released by PLG UK catalogue. Don't know if this is another name for Parlophone or a completely new label.

12. bleachershane

Parlophone Label Group apparently from what I can see on a quick Google.

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Curious about this as well.

14. Andrewb

Thought that might be the case. Potentially good news then for those who want the band's output on vinyl as there's more likelihood Parlophone will use the original tapes, although that's not necessarily guaranteed of course.

Porkpie and bleachershane like this.
  15. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Talk talk, talk talk

All you do to me is talk talk

rushed again likes this.
  16. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

And I actually have the 2008 reissues on CD, but vinyl is probably the right way to go, longer-term. And there have been other remasterings, so I'm not entirely sure, but more going on the hope that the band will try to do right by the group of folks who pledge.

17. Andrewb

I don't have The Party's over - either on vinyl or CD. It's an album that doesn't really interest me although I quite like the track Talk Talk and bought the double pack 7" at the time of release. My interest in the band really started with Colour of Spring and I have the original vinyl releases of that album and Spirit of Eden. By the time Laughing Stock came out I owned a CD player so bought it in that form when I saw the promo wooden box in a used records shop.

I doubt the band has any active involvement in these re-issues, i'm thinking it's driven by the record company only. I don't recall there being any mention of any band members participating in any way when The Colour of Spring, Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock were issued on vinyl a few years back. Also, these releases are on PledgeMusic purely as pre-orders, there's no public funding to be made on this occasion.

Naughty Chord and bleachershane like this.
  18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Well, at least we know that Mark Hollis didn't like the idea of Steven Wilson mixing some TT albums into 5.1!

19. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Loved Spirit...for years, but oddly only recently got totally immersed in Colour Of Spring.

Just great.

bleachershane likes this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

On 6Music right now they're playing a version of "Life's What You Make It" - sounds like it's Placebo. I hope this doesn't start to feature in regular rotation and replace their plays of Talk Talk's version

21. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

£13.95 each at Amazon UK right now.

Shame these don't appear to come with a high res DVD-A like Spirit of Eden / Colour of Spring

Porkpie and bleachershane like this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm interested to see if these are remasters and if not (I doubt they will be) if they're digital or analog sourced.

23. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

they aren't going to be analogue.

24. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Probably better off keeping my originals than upgrading. They're on PLG UK. We could always email them for more info?

Carlox likes this.
  25. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I agree