The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

As for 9/18/87, I am reasonably certain it isn't sped up, but of course I've heard there's something wrong with this too...maybe my friend just doesn't like the sound, I can't remember. He particularly reviles 30 Trips...I think he gets really influenced when Charlie Miller pipes up about these things, sometimes it may be better to remain ignorant! Especially since I don't have a particularly discerning ear, I still haven't figured out whether I can hear any difference between 320 kbps and lossless, which probably means I can't (at least on my equipment, such as it is).

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It's usually the stuff from cassette masters that are the wrong speed, as Hal noted upthread. Those '82 shows are such culprits. The '87 stuff should be from a digital source and should not have speed issues.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Jerry hints around about it for a while, but it begins in earnest at about 9:30 of the DS section after MAMU. It really weaves in and out for the next several minutes of what is indeed a mesmerizing improv. Keith is particularly prominent and inspired. And how Jerry can make one single note so terribly interesting is beyond me.

Crispy Rob, adamos, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  4. bzfgt

Thanks, I was a minute late (above), so you mean just before the Dark Star theme. I'll listen again and also check out the ISB.

5. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Reading Archtop's post got me to thinking about that MAMU - the transition from DS is nice and clean, but then it feels like (to me at least) the energy of that astounding interplay / improv of the past 25 minutes starts streaming back in, as if it refused to be contained, and yr good ol' Uncle starts feeling destabilized.

3 minutes later, it fragments back into the deepness.

6. bzfgt

Yeah, I recall him twice in that segment doing a very structured kind of riffing (although it could have been more or less than I recall). I don't remember the bit before the theme, I'll have to poke around a bit and report back if I have anything to say about it.

Archtop likes this.
  7. bzfgt

Yes! That's how it always strikes me, like MAMU is an island in a maelstrom.

8. bzfgt

It sounds to me like not maybe typical but certainly not a-typical Garcia jammage from the era. Now I am putting on Maya though and we'll see if my eyes are opened.
    Yeah, I texted my buddy. His response: "on the box set they decided to do post production matrix to 83 to 95, and created a terrible mix, although the 87 was able to be fixed by Miller. The others were not. The Miller version of the Healy mix is much better."

US Blues likes this.
  9. bzfgt

Re: Maya--I see what you mean, there's a little thing on the one to flat third to major third on both (although I don't think it starts on the one of DS I didn't check that carefully but I'm just making "one" the note the lick starts on) and in general there's a kind of East-y vibe. I'm not sure that it goes further than that but I'm not all that familiar with the ISB song (which is awesome) so for now I have to leave it at that. It seems like the kind of similarity that could easily be influenced by the earlier song, or by something else, or to just be hit on in a jam, or to be unconsciously influenced by that or something else. No smoking gun and no way of knowing, but I'd say a good many things have something similar. Give a guitar player a joint and a Sandy Bull record, or send him to Monterey to watch Ravi Shankar, and his fingers may well do these kinds of things.

I don't remember any of that in the post-Uncle, I'll have to check that too to see what Archtop is talking about. Not right now though...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    rainbow dome and US Blues like this.
  10. bzfgt

In that vein, I am not an audiophile, and if I can hear all the instruments and it's relatively clear I'm happy--and, without comparing it with Miller's version, or with the tape I had in 1989, I have no idea how I rate MSG from 30 Trips. But in general I disagree with what several people said earlier, that in general the releases have the best quality--Miller puts out a lot of stuff that is as good or better, and definitely the latter if we start to consider pitch correction.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  11. bzfgt

There is some similar stuff directly after Uncle. But I'm heading back to 87, Quantum Leap-style...

12. bzfgt

Wow I actually momentarily forgot my favorite Morning Dew was coming next...

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  13. bzfgt

I wish I could "like" my own posts...

When Jerry plays the "wrong" note I think he's bending up to a D# (in the key of D), does that seem right? It's hard to double him, I can't quite get the sound....it actually sounds like a double stop and I can't quite figure it. I'll have to look at the video.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  14. bzfgt

I just realized that, although I've listened to Bird Song, Sugaree and Morning Dew many times over the past 10-15 years, I haven't heard this Good Lovin'>La Bamba> Good Lovin' since around 1990...fantastic! (still talking about 9/18/87)

I remember our non-Deadhead friend who referred to this as "a beat tune into a beat tune"...

(not like "beat combo" music but New Jersey slang for "lame")

budwhite and trd like this.
  15. bzfgt

Wow, I've got a lot of posts in a row. Where is everybody?

ianuaditis and BurtThomasWard like this.
  16. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Well, now you know how it feels to be me. Enjoy the view :winkgrin:

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  17. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

"Stop swingin' the bat. Put the bat down, Dave. Dave? Give me the bat..." Oh crap wrong Kubrick movie!

budwhite, notesofachord and US Blues like this.
  18. bzfgt

Thinking of dark horse Dark Stars, or whatever the wording was, I think the only measure would be not on a release, since everyone has various tapes and I can't judge how well-known something is in a lot of cases. But I am thinking of both Dane County 1973 (2/15 and 10/25) Stars as good examples, as well as 10/18/72.

I haven't heard 11/13/72 in years--I don't remember it sounding that great but that changes all the time with upgrades etc.--but I remember it being really good, with some intense Phil stuff (not always the best but I recall it being really killer in this case)

I'm listening to 8/24/72 right now for the first time EVER and right now there are tremendous things happening...someone on Heady Version says it's "almost as good as Veneta" (which really means "much better than Veneta").

Portland 6/24/73 gets a lot of love but I don't remember loving it. Haven't heard it since 1020 though, and you have no reason to take my word over the masses...

That was dzhason, right? There you go, dzhason...
    EDIT 2010

budwhite likes this.
  19. bzfgt

I actually checked the news to see if there was a nuclear war after I posted that...I would have been surprised if there was, mind you.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The only time it bothers me that a recording is not playing back at A=440 concert pitch is when I play along on guitar - which I rarely do. Or, if it's off enough to affect the vocal timbre to feel unnatural. Otherwise, as long as the instruments are in tune with each other, it sounds fine to me. I mean, it's well known now that most of the tracks on the original E72 album were sped up. Does that make it unlistenable? No, IMO. For example, hearing the 4/8/72 "Cumberland Blues" at its correct speed the other night was great, but I almost missed the artificial energy of the oft-heard, sped-up version that opened the original Europe '72 album. Almost.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Would it be better if Mr. Norman, Mr. Glasser, and crew bothered to check the pitch before putting out the official releases? Of course. However, the improved sources and mastering in most cases make the official versions essential, IMO.

Now what would we get if Mr. Miller had access to the vault tapes with his gear and mastering style? Hmmm, I'd better not open up that can of worms...

21. bzfgt

OK the 8/24/72 Dark Star is excellent. It feels short but it's not, I see; 27 minutes is pretty standard length...but I thought it might be headed somewhere exceptional when Phil proposed Morning Dew and Garcia accepted. Nevertheless, it is a really good Dark Star, and much better then the horrible train wreck of a Star at Veneta when they were clearly completely out of gas, and that show never happened anyway, it is all a hoax funded by Pole Guy who got some "crisis actors" to play the band (and the "crisis" is that horrible Dark Star). Pole Guy made one mistake though--he played himself, and he has never been seen since (thank God)...so check out the BCT for some good Dark Star action.

The Morning Dew begins very subduedly, reminiscent of 10/18/72. It has a lot of promise, but I'm just at the "young man moan" part and as I say I've never heard this before...

ailgin, ianuaditis and BurtThomasWard like this.
  22. bzfgt

I should say my mileage varies! You're out of your mind!

Actually, no, my mileage does vary, but just by a little bit. I agree that if I can't hear a chipmunk effect it doesn't really matter, but if someone tells me about it I can't help being bothered a smidge, at least. So maybe it's better to be blue-pilled...

...back to listening to Morning Dew and hitting "refresh"...

budwhite likes this.
  23. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Better play "Morning Dew" then, just to be sure :D

Ah, way ahead of me...

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  24. bzfgt

It's a classic but now that everything is available on the internet I never, ever listen to it.

It's hard to imagine a band having less of a clue what their fans want then the Dead in the days before Dick came to the rescue....what we want is train wrecks, wrong notes, "Day Job" and off-key but on pitch vocals.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  25. bzfgt

"I thought I saw BurtThomasWard post, my honey..."

Good Morning Dew, by the way (8/24/72)

Now I need to listen to 8/21 but I can't find the window the Archive is in...