Gold stars on Album cover - what do they mean?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pilon, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilon

Pilon New Member Thread Starter

Ive been looking on this forum for a couple of weeks now and I've learnt a lot and been thoroughly entertained by all the questions and answers, but the one answer I can not find is, what do the two gold embossed stars in a box on Album covers signify?
    My copy of 2112 by Rush has it on. I also saw one on Duke by Genesis.
    I even asked in my local record shop but they had no idea.

[​IMG]
    ( not my image, I coluldnt work out how to post mine)

2. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

I couldn't see your image but I'm reposting one I found from a thread on Discogs. Is this what you are referencing? One user on Discogs (he's from England) said this was something from the 80's and it meant cheap reissue (where he grew up). Not sure if that's correct but there you go.

[​IMG]

3. Pilon

Pilon New Member Thread Starter

Thank you for the picture, that's it, not sure about the cheap reissues as my copy of 2112 is 1976 pressing
    Matrix / Runout Side A Label:9100 039 1
    Matrix / Runout Side B Label:9100 039 2
    Someone did suggest it was a radio station copy, but those are usually a sticker unless I'm mistaken.

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

That type of gold colored embossing reminds me of the "For Promotion Only" stamping on album covers in the Eighties.
    Note this example - the stamp is on top of the "R", so it was obviously stamped after the album art was run.

Lost In The Flood and Boo Rad like this.
  5. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

Yep, those matrix numbers pull up the 1976 UK pressing. My next guess (as you and Lightbulb mentioned) would be a promo copy for a radio station. I'm just used to the white label and/or stickers with playing times for promos (or a stamp that explicitly says promo).

The only other thing that I would mention is both of the posters discussing the thread on Discogs were from the UK. Could it be a regional thing that was also specific to the 1970's and 1980's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.