Leave It To Beaver: The Complete Series (Shout Factory)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I hate double-sided discs. I don't think anyone does those anymore.

2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

See it here before it gets pulled:

My Three Sons S02e19 Bub Gets A Job - Video Dailymotion

About 14 minutes in Rusty appears

thestereofan likes this.
  3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I just started playing Disc One Season 1 and just finished Episode 2.
    Was "Captain Jack", the dog, a one-and-done?
    This is truly great stuff.

4. PaulKTF

Yes.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  5. dance_hall_keeper

I'm just finishing up Season 1, Episode 39.
    In the episode, "Cat Out of the Bag", something that appears to be a fly lands on the right-hand collar of June's dress for about eleven seconds and then departs.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Which episode has June telling Ward to not be so hard on the Beave? :whistle: :pineapple:

Benno123 likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Probably when I watched it, but committing it to memory ? No.

8. PaulKTF

She says "Hope you weren't too hard on The Beaver" to Ward in the episode "Beaver's Ring"

"Leave It to Beaver" Beaver's Ring (1958)

and "Going to be awfully rough on The Beaver, I'm afraid..." in another episode that I can't identify at the moment but the clip is on YouTube.

I can't find a specific example of her saying the exact phrase "Don't be so hard on The Beaver" in that exact phrasing but that doesn't mean she never said it that specific way I guess...

EVOLVIST likes this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Probably the last time I remember seeing Barbara Billingsley on TV was in a late season episode of Roseanne where Rosie meets up with a group of TV moms from past series. Found it on youtube and here it is:

longdist01 likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

That's a really fun episode and very funny! Kudos to those actresses for having a sense of humor about themselves. :)

11. dance_hall_keeper

Season 2, Disc 1, Episode 1: "Beaver's Poem".
    At least twice in this episode, once by Beaver and once by Wally, the words "Miss Canfield" (Beaver's Grade 2 teacher) are said but the audio soundtrack (?) says "Miss Landers", who apparently makes her debut in Season 2, Episode 3, "Ward's Problem".

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

We might be able to dig everybody up and reshoot, if we hurry.

There's always the question of whether stuff like this should be "fixed" in post, but you can make a good argument that this mistake was always there and to change it would be historical revisionism. But it's not that hard to do now.

13. PaulKTF

Leave It To No One to fix. :) Let's not all turn into George Lucas, thank you very much...

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, there's a difference between taking a mistake away vs. putting new content into a scene or re-editing the movie. I would argue it was never intended to be there even when it first aired. As an example of a case where I did this on my own, I fixed about 150 bad VFX composites in the execrable Disney movie Black Hole simply because I could, and I knew they were never intended to be seen. I also covered up a few boom shadows, which few people would ever notice. But... we didn't erase the wires holding up the "floating" robots in those scenes. One good reason is the wires were visible back in 1979 and they couldn't fix them, so maybe that's going "a fix too far."

Disney has had this problem with "how much do we fix?" in their restorations. They actually got complaints when they removed cel dirt from some animated classics scenes, because fans said, "well, this has always been part of the cartoon and should be there forever." The people in charge decided, "nope, Walt Disney paid for artists and backgrounds and characters and color, not for pieces of dirt sitting on the cel," so they were removed just as the dirt on the film itself was removed.

A fly on Mrs. Cleaver's dress... I think that'd be a time & money thing and Universal wouldn't spend the dough required to fix it.

15. PaulKTF

Yes, that wasn't a goof. The director was purposely trying to show that June was perfectly sane much like Norman Bates and that she 'wouldn't even hurt a fly".

(Okay, maybe not). :)

Vidiot likes this.
  16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

There's another episode early in the series (forget which one) but Eddie is standing on the staircase in the Clever home and you can see the boom mic above him. Or the shadow of it, it has been a while since we have watched the DVDs. Lately our TV time has been taken up by My Three Sons.

17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Wonder if it wouldn't have been visible on old sets, which cropped the image a bit. Faulty Towers had that issue too.

18. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Watched a first-season episode tonight, and afterwards (for a chuckle) threw on a Beaver-centric sixth-season one.

Good Lord, Jerry Mathers certainly became the weak link as time went on.

He was fantastic in the early years. Natural, cute, and perfectly believable.

What the hell happened? By the sixth season, he seemed like a totally different person. The cuteness was gone, he tended to overact (and shout his dialogue) all over the place, and had generally become quite obnoxious .

The producers must have figured this out as (thankfully) the sixth season has more Wally-centric episodes than before. Tony Dow and Ken Osmond make that year tolerable. (A Wally and Eddie spinoff might have been fun. Maybe it could have had them at college or something.)

I've been trying to figure out when the "good" Beaver ends and Bizarro Beaver takes over. I think it might be somewhere in the fourth season. Maybe around the time Rusty Stevens and Jeri Weil make their final appearances. Jerry Mathers' voice change certainly signifies the change has already happened.

Don't believe me? Watch a first season adventure, then immediately throw on one from the fifth or sixth season (especially the 6th). You'll be shocked as how cringe-inducing Mr. Mathers had become.

19. Jerry grew up and became an awkward teenager. No mystery or need to delve further.

thestereofan likes this.
  20. You can get pretty natural performances out of younger children because they aren't yet in their own heads. Once puberty starts rearing its head, good luck. I can probably count on one hand the number of good acting performances from young teenagers I've seen over the years.

21. PaulKTF

Yeah, it's once kids start trying to act "for the camera" that they become really unbelievable and hackneyed (and/or annoying).

22. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Mathers also played a very obnoxious friend of Robbie (Don Grady) on an episode of "My Three Sons) in the late 60's.

Dow and Tommy Rettig (Lassie's first TV master and a far superior actor to Jon Provost) starred in the first day-time soap for young people.

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Happens all the time. Cute kids grow up to be awkward teens and that includes their acting. The latest casualty is Nolan Gould on Modern Family. He became pretty intolerable about two seasons ago.

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Whatever affected Jerry Mathers, it spared Tony Dow, Ken Osmond, and Frank Bank. Wally and his circle of friends were consistently good throughout the entire run of the show.

At least the fifth and sixth seasons have an abundance of Eddie Haskel to liven things up. His interactions with June and Ward never get old.

thestereofan, MikeInFla and Gumboo like this.
  25. PaulKTF

Eddie is often the only really funny thing in those later episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.