Best Time Out vinyl release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have Time Out on vinyl. It's Jazz Wax version. It sounds but was wondering about the MOV or the Analogue Productions vinyl?

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I'm sure it has been discussed. Try the search function of the forum.

but I am bumping for you anyway.

3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the AP release is the same mastering as the Classic Records release. Both cut by Bernie Grundman. This goes for both the LP and the 45 rpm sets.

4. Diorama

Is that mono? I've heard Time Out Mono is the way to go. I just have heard the stereo.

5. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I have 5 or 6 different versions and of those the original 6 Eye mono is by far the best

jazdoc, aoxomoxoa and sonofjim like this.
  6. Diorama

Man, I gotta get me a copy of that.

7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I prefer the six eye stereo with the 3D ambience air of the studio.

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree on the six eye Columbia vinyl. It sounds good enough to me I was never tempted by the reissue. As to stereo vs. mono it's a tougher call. I like them both for what they are.

9. Diorama

I would imagine it's hard to get a good copy online at a decent price?

10. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

6 Eye

11. Diorama

I have a Colombia copy but it's so scratched it's hard to tell thus my Wax Time copy fairs better.

Tho as good/decent it sounds I am guessing I am missing something.

12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I can't comment on the wax time as I don't have it, only to say it's a EU Grey market release and not sure what it'll be sourced from - I opted for the MOV as I couldn't afford the AP 45 at the time and the MOV is really excellent, although judging by my recent acquisition of 'Dusty In Memphis' on AP 45, I'm sure the AP 45 Time Out will sound incredible. I expect as many have already said, the original 6 eye columbia (US pressing of course) will be the ultimate as the tapes were freshest then, but finding a clean sounding one will probably be a bit of a gamble.

If you like the sound of the one you already have and you're enjoying it then that's fine!

Diorama likes this.
  13. Wes_in_va

I don't think it's that pricey actually

14. Wes_in_va

The stereo is definitely great in it's on way

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have a mono 6-Eye and it sounds fantastic!

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The early UK Fontana and CBS versions with the matt labels (mono and stereo) sound superb.
    First issued on Fontana and then changed to CBS shortly after but the vinyl is the same. Same factory, stampers etc.

I've never had a chance to hear a 6 eye so I can't make a comparison but I still recommend you check those UK ones out.
    Far easier to find over here than a 6 eye, and will cost you a lot less.

17. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

It really depends on what your are after.

A clean new LP or a collectors item that is also clean.

There are plenty of VG and VG+ 6 eyes both mono and stereo on ebay in the 20-40 dollar area but you know they will have crackle and pops - not good for the quiet tracks like Kathy's Waltz.

An original "new" 6 eye stereo ie in shrink (unless you find in a used record store who doesnt know what it is), is a $75/100 proposition, even for the 2nd release with "Featuring Take Five" on the front of the sleeve. Discogs has a couple of them

The AP 45rpm set however will cost half of that and you're guaranteed a new excellent mastering and pressing of it

Dave Brubeck Quartet-Time Out-45 RPM Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

18. Diorama

Sorry I meant Jazz Wax records not Wax Time

19. Diorama

Thanks for the info!

Easy-E likes this.
  20. JP Christian

Still a Grey Market release - there's a lot of them about DOL, Jazz Wax, Intempo etc... I have what I believe to be a grey market release of The Ella Fitzgerald and Louie Armstrong albums, it's a box set and very well done, but it's not an 'official' release from Universal, who own the Verve back catalogue - it's still very good though - for a "one stop shop" of all those recordings it was fine for me.

The big giveaway with Grey Market releases is they don't have the rights to use the official artwork, i.e. the exact album cover, so they will always have an 'alternative' cover' - some folk on here never touch grey market releases out of principle - so it's up to your conscience really - I didn't realise the Ella/Louis box set was grey market until I actually had it in my hands - it's on the 'Jazz Track' label and I've never heard of them before. I generally tend to stear clear of grey market LP's - mainly as the mastering sources are rarely disclosed so not only do you not know what SQ you'll get, the royalties will not be going to the correct estate - depends on your look out I guess...

This is the box set I'm referring to - I paid about £60 for it but it looks like it's going really cheap ($29) of you're in the states...

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Complete Studio Master Takes

...and the first LP (Ella & Louis) in the box I actually prefer to the 2016 UME Verve reissue which is brighter and a little sibilant in places - the box set version is slightly better balanced...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    Tommyboy likes this.
  21. JP Christian

This is actually from 2013, but my copy has a 60th anniversary sticker on it so I assumed it was from 2016, but it's a repress of the 2013 UME back to black release.

22. Diorama

Yeah I am not a fan of such as DOL etc that being said I did buy a DOL copy just to check out the quality cos I couldn't talk about it unless I heard it. It's kinda like that thing you listen to it and you say " That sounds decent " then you hear the same album as it should be and realize how bad them cheap sounding DOL, Jazz Wax, Wax Time sounds.

It's sad they are being flooded in the market. I have seen them in record stores which is a tad odd. I guess people whom just wanna buy the records and are not audiophiles, they suit that market.

But it's a strange one cos my Time Out on Jazz Time I don't think sounds awful, sounds decent.

JP Christian likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Those grey market releases are all over the place and they're not cheap. I'd rather spend $25 on a VG+ copy of Time Out issued by Columbia than a brand new pressing issue by Doxy, or Wax Time, etc. I consider it a waste of money on an item that is dubious at best.

24. JP Christian

Yes, usually for me too although the Ella/Louis box set was an exception - I think Universal missed a trick there as they should have released their own box set of the 3 albums (two doubles) plus the Decca EP - that box apart from the wrong covers (which doesn't really matter for the first two, they are very similar to the official artwork) is a really nice set and even more so for someone in the states to be able to get it new for less than $29 on discogs at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  25. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I'm a big advocate for the Analogue Productions 33rpm pressing. It's "cheap" (compared to originals), it's clean, it's well mastered.
    I was tired of looking for clean originals, but didn't trust those grey market Jazz Wax junk pressings.

The AP 33 just ticked all the boxes for me. I think it might for you too.

jgrillo and JP Christian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.