New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I remember one of the first interviews for New where he stated he was " working with" Mark Ronson before he announced several different producers. The fact is, until the album is done, you will not know who produced what or who played on each track

It is not uncommon for Paul to bring another producer in on things for a certain song(s) . He did it with George Martin several times

Mr. Explorer, Yorick and Paulwalrus like this.
  2. mikecarrera

mikecarrera Forum Resident

it is NOT, don't worry

3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Exactly, it would mean absolutely nothing

Yorick likes this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Only person twisting themselves into knots is apparently you!!! Just saying, take a deep breath and relax

Mr. Explorer, Yorick and Paulwalrus like this.
  5. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Why are people getting so defensive and attacking one another over speculation? I thought the point of having these threads was to speculate. That's what we do, that's what we've always done. Whether it's been reissues, box sets, or new albums. We talk and talk for hundreds of pages, our conversations ranging from reasonable to completely absurd speculation, and we continue doing this until we have an official announcement. No need to get upset over it.

6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Those Rolling Stones posters should be Beatles, damnit. ;)

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with the Frog song! :)

I hadn't heard about those lightcubes. Looked them up and now I want one lol

Mr. Explorer and Rob Hughes like this.
  8. Rose Decatur

Rose Decatur Forum Resident

Very very early on, Paul mentioned working with Mark, which was true, and then he mentioned others and we got reports of him working with other producers (Paul Epworth even played a track for a reporter before the album was released). That is miles away from Paul - when asked specifically about the album - for a year talking only about Greg Kurstin and listing Greg's credentials. That is all Paul has actually confirmed about the album, that Greg is producing it. It wasn't a brief mention early on, as with Mark Ronson, or added to later with mentions of other producers, or reports of studio time with other producers. Paul has talked only about Greg and then listed Greg's accomplishments and how they've worked together before, etc. Paul would not go out of his way to promote a producer like that and frame him at the center of the album if he was just "one of many."

You quoted etcetera before as a source, so you know that according to him, the album was completed last year, with orchestral overdubs done in December 2016 and the final mixing done in January and February of this year. If you believe that, then the album is finished. So when Paul has done things over the last year like the Japanese Q&A in April, he's referencing a finished product. He knows who's on it and who produced it, and with that knowledge, he talks about no one but Greg.

George was a special case who will never be duplicated. He was Paul's father figure and musical mentor, and Paul often tried to drag George out of retirement and get George to work on songs even over George's protests and do anything - if not produce than to at least do orchestrations. Paul normally has one producer on a record, he doesn't bring in "one-offs" - George Martin being the exception proves that it's far from common practice in Paul's discography.

It's already been disproven that Paul and Giles had a falling out, so why continue the fantasy that Giles has produced a George Martin tribute song done by Paul when that "rumor" only existed in the first place to be the supposed setting for an event that never existed?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

^^ Why not? it's not impossible, and we're speculating. Nothing to get upset about.

vitorbastos123 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

You quoted etcetera before as a source, so you know that according to him, the album was completed last year, with orchestral overdubs done in December 2016 and the final mixing done in January and February of this year. If you believe that, then the album is finished. So when Paul has done things over the last year like the Japanese Q&A in April, he's referencing a finished product. He knows who's on it and who produced it, and with that knowledge, he talks about no one but Greg.

Once again Rose, your lack of reading comprehension comes shining through. I haven't quoted etcetera as a source of anything. That was the other person you have been arguing with. And if you had read my earlier posts, I do not believe the album is finished at all, since my constant insistence that we will not see the new album until sometime in 2018. He has not once in any article over the past year said that the album is finished. In fact the total lack of information he has given or anyone else involved in the project has given lends credence that it is not finished. Other than a few short quotes of working with Kurstin and the existence of a Trump song, nothing else is really known.

11. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Same here. The link goes to www.sonos.com/en-us/shop?utm_campaign=Affiliate&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=cj-affiliate Maybe it has to do with location?

Anyway, at the bottom of that page, there is a link to the blog. Clicked that, searched for "giles martin", and there was the article Ron linked to, titled "Behind the New PLAY:5 With Giles Martin."

Mr. Explorer and Arnold Grove like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

What s the big deal
    It might be finished
    It might not be finished
    It might feature a rerecording of Bip Bop
    It might not
    There might be some people here who knows
    There might not
    Life goes on
    Or not

Mr. Explorer and Paulwalrus like this.
  13. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

just don't like people attributing quotes that I did not make to me.

DRM likes this.
  14. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That s understandable. Personally I have no idea of who says what here. It s just a bit of fun as far as I am concerned.. Fact is-noone here knows anything about Pauls next album and still this thread already reach an epic lenght.
    That s funny.:)

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, hopefully the next release announcement will come quickly and the conversation will turn to that

16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Definitely not that, let's make that CLEAR!

17. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

I did not in any way start a rumor based on any feeling, I just reported something that a source who is often informed quite well told me. Like I said, I don't know if it's true. He could be wrong. Time will tell. You don't have to take it for granted or even believe it, but please refrain from these offensive attacks.
    It might be that you don't know some of these people here (I see you're a relatively new member), but some people here have a very good report. @cb70 is a great scholar of McCartney recording sessions, @etcetera has a very good source close to the McCartney camp, @backseat has written an excellent book on McCartney's recording sessions and is in touch with some key participants, @maccawings seems to have some good music industry connections etc. etc. I could go on and on. It would behoove you if you would just sit back for a moment and see which way the wind blows.

18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That will be great-ecspecially if that announcement announce what I believe it willl-and that is not the next album.:)

19. Rose Decatur

My apologies, that was backseat. However, etcetera is the source for the George Martin tribute song rumor - with no mention of Giles. (etcetera also has a proven track record, so I put stock in his contention that the album is finished.)

There is nothing confirmed about a Trump song. The exact quote Paul told students at LIPA is, "Sometimes current events are so crazy, you can't help write about them." Nothing directly from Paul about Trump or not, that was journalists speculating which then got repeated as fact in article after article. It could be about Trump, it could be about Theresa May, or some other politician, or Brexit, or politicians in general. It could be about other current events - for example the song about Michael Brown Paul said he wrote several years ago (or a modified version of that same song). See how rumors get started? We don't even have a quote from Paul that he was talking about himself - a student could have asked about writing political songs and Paul's reply meant that generally current events can inspire you, not that he specifically wrote anything himself. Or, he could've been referred to a song he'd just written - and that won't show up on this album but maybe a future one (especially if etcetera is correct this one is done and dusted). He never said, "I wrote a song about Donald Trump that will be on my new album," but that's what it turned into - similar to how a comment here about there possibly being a song about George Martin on the album turned into "Giles Martin is producing the George tribute song" to "Giles and Paul had a falling out over the George tribute song they recorded together" to "it not being on the album will be confirmation of a falling out!"

Paul was asked in the Japan Q&A specifically "who are you working with on the new album," and he answered that his touring band are on some of the songs, he performs the other songs himself, and the producer is Greg Kurstin. He added about a good chunk of it being recorded at Henson Studios. That is what we know. Speculation still needs basis in fact. If anyone is going to throw out anything based on their "feelings" or just trolling (as the people did with Wikipedia about the false album title/tracklisting) then what's the point of this thread? If all it is is going to be used by people to play games - not for people to find actual information - we might as well all start posting things like, "There's a song on the new album co-written with Stephen Sondheim about giraffes. It's called 'Long Horses' and they flew in Lorde specially to do the warbles!"

JDeanB, Mr. Explorer and Fivebyfive like this.
  20. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Way past yesterday and here today this thread has turned into a tug of war. Too many people are letting go with junk. It would be something If we raided the medicine jar and put some monkberry moon delight in our pipes of peace. And got Hi Hi Hi. And with a little luck we can have hope for the future.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That giraffesong would be fun:)

JDeanB and Mr. Explorer like this.
  22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s a Tug of war about who knows most about nothing. It s funny.:)
    Maybe time for some Pipes of peace

JDeanB, RAJ717 and Fivebyfive like this.
  23. Maybe Paul will just cover Randy Newman's Putin song :thumbsup::tiphat:

24. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

no worries Bemagnus, an announcement coming soon about the next McCartney release that will change the direction of the conversation. And it will not be in regards to a new album

25. Rose Decatur

You asked the forum for information and you literally wrote in a post, "Sorry, there's no facts. It's just something that I picked up on, which I can't verify either until we see the credits of the next album." What does "something I picked up on" mean to you, exactly? If it's something someone told you directly, why is that not a fact? What does credits have to do with it, unless you are going to claim that lack of Giles Martin produced song on Paul's new album will "confirm" your rumor.

Are you speaking for the people listed? Are you saying one of them is your source? What is your purpose of bringing them up? Near as I can tell, they are different people, some of whom who have information that directly contradicts each other (for example maccawings claims the album is not finished, etcetera does) but none of them started the rumor of a Giles and Paul falling out. You did.

It would behoove you if you would stop mansplaining and either back up your contentions or not. You don't know who I know, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.