Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I never think of myself as being a certified audiophile, but when people say, "I just listen to music on YouTube," I realize that I probably qualify.

I still can't recall ever being scoffed at for buying CD's, and now that I'm living overseas, people are awestruck by my collection (of 5", 7" and 12"). I also know a couple of true audiophiles here, a pursuit that required great financial sacrifice and a lot of legwork. One of the guys has money and a large collection. The other guy is retired with limited means; he does all his streaming in FLAC and I've "shared" some music with him in FLAC format (mostly Country, which he loves and is fascinated by). A young Englishman that I've become friends with has gotten the vinyl bug; he travels throughout Europe for work and scours shops for vintage LP's. He also buys mail order from shops in Istanbul.

Music geeks are part of an underground, and there's a very strong bond when one meets a like-minded individual. In many ways that increases the pleasure.

Vetiver's album of cover versions captures the passion very well...
    [​IMG]

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

One can dream can't they? The likely hood of anything I want JP to do (or explore ) is most likely to happen only when I sleep in a dreamstate than when I'm awake is a woefully obvious reality LOL. :shrug:

3. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Exactly. I was driving with my daughter last month; we were listening to Courtney Barnett (who I'd put on my iPod, because I know that she likes her) and were discussing the appeal and strengths of her writing. I mentioned that she probably listened to the Aussie band You Am I when she was young. My daughter was curious what they sounded like. I didn't have anything by them on my iPod, but Hey! No problemo... she pulled out her phone.

But the connection didn't work in the mountains heading up to Sagalassos. I'm sure the same is true in many rural areas of the US.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. babaluma

babaluma Forum Resident

There are a ton of great albums I own that are simply not available to download. I suppose it depends on the music you like but two of my all time favs are Miroslav Vitous's album Purple and Buster Williams' Pinnacle neither of which are on Itunes or Spotify so I had to get them on vinyl having got into them only through poor quality videos people had put on Youtube (which I am not complaining about as I would not have heard them otherwise!).

5. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Would I care if some snobby basement dwelling hipster freak 'scoffed' at me for doing what I liked doing? No. Would he still have gotten a sale out of it, being a jerk like this? No. Would I told him something nice about his mother and his close relation to monkeys? Yes.

nosliw likes this.
  6. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

I just scored a copy of Jerry Jeff Walker's "Jerry Jeff Jazz" last night on ebay for $.99. It makes me wonder what Jerry Jeff fan in their right mind would sell it for any price once they own it, unless they are dead...

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Dax_Frost

Dax_Frost A Visual Loop

My wife was just "scoffing" at me this weekend for it. I find them for 1 or 2 bucks at half-priced books. I can't really resist for that price.

DTK, Michael, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  8. BurtThomasWard

It is always nice to get treated with respect by the loved ones, isn't it? :D

Fullbug, DTK, Guy E and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Five for a buck, a few weeks back (library sale). That was a blind buy day for me because why not at that price.

Got a hit on "Good Luck and Games" EP, by Dig. Plus grabbed a few old classics I already knew somewhat, like Blur's "Parklife".

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

My wife still doesn't understand my obsession with music. We've been married close to a quarter-century now.

However, she knows how much I enjoy this hobby, so she looks past this particular eccentricity. Maybe it's a vice, but at least it's not gambling or drinking. As long as I don't have vinyls and CD's overflowing into her kitchen or bedroom of course.

Good album.

DME1061, BurtThomasWard and Guy E like this.
  11. Kdog61

Kdog61 Forum Resident

At 56 years of age let them scoff or heap scorn upon me but at .79 each I will take any abuse a Goodwill employee may throw my way. Yesterdays pickups : L7, X, QOTSA,Cure,Robert Plant, Van Morrison, Dick's Picks 7, Miles Davis-Bitches Brew, Little Feat .

Erik B., DTK, BluesOvertookMe and 4 others like this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

Well, congratulations on making a marriage last in this day and age. But I actually think that some of the reason for that is found in the next part of the quote. Even if one's partner is up to things one find eccentric, if they find it enjoyable and it isn't harmful, be happy for them.

My GF is also a music freak like me, thank goodness. She didn't even react when I paid a three-figure sum for a Grateful Dead cd. All she asked was if I really wanted it and could afford it. Helps that we have separate bank accounts and economies, of course.

Guy E and Gaslight like this.
  13. Natvecal.

That's my wife as well (and I love her so much for that ) She was a bit wary (possibly concerned even) about me and these AF, MFSL, DCC gold, SACD s I've been replacing my "remasters " with until I started knocking out her favorites (Deep Purple,Lennon, Doors) then she's been more ........understanding? I just scored ($60) Made In Japan DCC that I proudly presented to her as this will keep her happy for quite some time judging by the reaction to the sound(if she's happy then I'm happily buying more CDs that I want with no grief?) quality of the disc.This has worked well for me (I mean us ):winkgrin:

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I've been filling in cracks in my collection by doing the same thing. 10 CDs for a buck... you just can't beat it! And if the CDs suck, you donate them back! It's wonderful.

Fullbug and Gaslight like this.
  15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Why would anyone scoff at anyone for buying CDs? Especially when in many cases, the actual physical product is cheaper than the mp3s? Usually they're they same cost. So why not have the physical media?

DTK, DME1061, nosliw and 4 others like this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Nope. I get scoffed at for stopping at red lights and stop signs, signalling my turns, putting the shopping cart in its little corral, voting, paying my taxes, etc, but not for buying CDs.

Summerisle, MrTim, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

My wife loves music and she's never given me grief about buying albums and CD's, or getting tickets for shows. Never.

But this morning I was burning some CDR's of live recordings and demos by a band that I was friends with back in the early-80's, to share with a mutual friend back in NYC. My wife was very curious about what I was doing and who I was doing it for. She didn't get agitated, but it reminded me of the flack that I used to get back in the CDR trading days... she'd get jealous when I dedicated time to sharing music with a friend, an acquaintance, or a complete stranger!!!

We all have our crosses to bear. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    DTK, fluffskul and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Libraries usually have the most collectable CD's available. Well here anyway. I counted two Mercury green arrows and a lot of Polydor original red CDs on my last visit to a library here in Dublin.
    And the classical racks have vintage CD titles that people would pay three figures for on eBay. Esoteric titles included.

Summerisle likes this.
  19. Natvecal.

Sorry about POST #827 (belongs on Jimmy Page Future Plans thread ) I was going back and forth from this thread to the JP thread and somehow forth-ed and backed instead?I somehow (but, no surprise here) was quoting a response to my quote and it got on the wrong thread.:confused:I turned 55 recently (should I be .......concerned that this might happen more often?):help::shrug:

20. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's haul:

Foghat - Tight Shoes / Girls To Chat 2 disc set
    Foghat - In The Mood / Zig Zag Walk 2 disc set
    Keith Richards - Live At The Palladium
    King's X - King's X

$22 out the door.

Fullbug and fluffskul like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I couldn't care less what anyone has to say about which formats I choose (which is all the physical ones). I don't knock anyone for preferring digital downloads so it should work both ways. My stepson "scoffs" at me for using a 'conventional" stereo setup with an actual CD player, a turntable, speakers (with speaker wire)...he says, "no one uses that stuff anymore". Oh really? I wonder if he's seen the turntables out there that do everything but drive you to work.

DME1061 and PaperbackBroadstreet like this.
  22. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

Let em' scoff all they want. Who cares what they think? Certainly not me. I'm gonna keep buying CDs (and LPs too) and I ain't stoppin' for nothin! And that's that.

23. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

I say buy and do what you enjoy.

Tomorrow never knows......

;)

24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Not to derail the thread but I would love to hear your thoughts on the Foghat albums. I really dig all 4 of them. "Zig Zag Walk" is my favorite of the 4.

25. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

No...because I don't buy em!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.