Jethro Tull 50th anniversary plans

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Yes indeed. Ian Anderson is working on a series of projects to celebrate the band´s 50 anniversary, including UK tour, the Heavy Horses remix, a live compilation of different eras, and I guess the innevitable new studio compilation as well. We can post news here as they emerge, but each of teh releases will have its separate thread as time progresses.

Jethro Tull EXCLUSIVE: 50th anniversary tour and NEW album

The legendary frontman adds: " I have actually postponed the new studio album until early 2019 to avoid the plethora of re-releases, boxed sets and live stuff coming out in 2018. I think that next year, uncharacteristically for me, should be a year of looking back and celebrating past times, rather than unleashing unfamiliar new material on a nostalgic fan base."

Runicen, sjaca, dreambear and 5 others like this.
  2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

50th! Isn't it just too damn real?
    [​IMG]

3. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'd wear this every day but I swear explaining it would be so difficult lol.

EddieMann, FVDnz, joepepitone and 5 others like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

As noted elsewhere, Martin Barre will also be celebrating Tull's anniversary with a tour that will include some (as yet unspecified) former Tull members.

5. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

This sounds more interesting than what Ian is doing....Hoping for Barrie and Evans

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

According to a couple recent interviews, the one who's signed on so far is Clive Bunker. Otherwise, we'll see...

bhazen and SirMarc like this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

can't wait to see these releases

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I think there's a near-certainty that a deluxe set of "This Was" is coming, even more deluxe than the previous one.

FVDnz, Colinjpush and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

:D
    This Was - The Super Deluxe of All Deluxes ( Deluxe version box set)

With a stereo remix that mirrors the mono mix

10. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Can we please have a reissue of the TAAB book edition as part of the celebrations?!
    On another note, judging by the article above, it appears that Anderson's touring band have officially morphed into Jethro Tull!

JulesRules and Papageno like this.
  11. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

John Evans has stopped playing decades ago, so I don´t think so. It´s more likely that it may be Andrew Giddings of the former keyboard players. On bass, Dave Pegg is an option, but he´s probably rather busy. Jonathan Noyce has played with Martin before, but I do think that it ended in some kind of sour way. That leaves us with Jeffrey Hammond Hammond....and we can probably forget that option.

12. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

footlooseman likes this.
  13. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

See my link. None of the above players.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not with Ian, but some of the ex-Tulls will be touring with Martin. Clive Bunker is confirmed. I'd guess that Dave Pegg and Barrie Barlow are the best bets.

footlooseman likes this.
  15. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Nice. Two tours. The link I gave is for the Ian shows and an article about who the players are.

16. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

footlooseman likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Does anyone have the presale code for The Greek in LA?

19. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

very sad that martin not involved with the 50th anniversary tour. makes me regret even more passing on the 2010 show. why has it come to this? guess its not any worse than jeff lynnes ELO.

Octowen, Runicen and purple-lazy like this.
  20. hugo.polo

hugo.polo Forum Resident

It would be cool if they released some of the 70s outtakes on vinyl. Stuff that has never been released on vinyl before like Old Aces Die Hard, Paradise Steakhouse or Good Godmother. Maybe a RSD comp next year?:cool:

21. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

What was weird about the last two? I haven't been paying attention to Tull as a touring act in the last few years. Is this reluctance to tour with Martin Barre all about money or did the two fall out over something else?

Bruno Primas likes this.
  22. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

How many times is Ian going to say something to the effect that "he's not an anniversary/birthday kind of guy". It seems he says it a lot which would indicate that maybe he is.

23. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

An update from David Rees:

"There is a whole stack of goodies in the pipeline from Warners to mark the 50th anniversary occation, but I am not allowed to tell just yet. Needless to say it will be mostly marvellous and all-encompassing, and quite possibly expensive, so get savingthose pennies now! Ian is meeting Steven Wilson as we speak, to discuss the Heavy Horses box set which will be due in the spring......."

johnny q and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

aka a new hits collection with 1 or 2 unreleased things on it