Disturbing Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jayski, Mar 4, 2013.

1. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Equas and Harold and Maude come to mind.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I found Deathwish II very unsettling for some reason. The fates of the daughter and housekeeper (especially on the Euro version, from what I've read) are so lingered over and explored, it just sets this mood of unredeeming darkness and moral decay.

eric777, Holy Diver and hi_watt like this.
  3. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Requiem For A Dream / The Glass Castle = both are good with no need to view. Ever again.

4. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Alan Parker's Angel Heart...very messed up movie IIRC

Holy Diver likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Closer with Julia Roberts and Jude Law

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The fully uncut version was finally made available on Blu-ray within the past year or two. The extra footage isn't incredibly shocking (at least by today's standards) but it's definitely a little more explicit than what we saw in the theatrical version.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I'm a huge Sidney Lumet fan, but Equus was the only film of his I've seen that I didn't really care for. The plot was just too ridiculous and unrelatable.

8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Dear Zachary: A Letter To His Son About His Father

Devastating film.

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

That already has its own thread.

Ethan B and andybeau like this.
  10. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

8mm was mentioned, it's a mildly disturbing thriller, but the premise is laughable just a few years later.

1999: "Snuff films don't exist! Let's make a movie as if they did"

The Internet: "Ha! Hold my beer"

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet; The Plague Dogs an animated film revolving around a pair of talking dogs that broke out of a medical research complex. I found it very disturbing as an adult, I can't imagine somebody might accidentally show this to children because it's an animated talking dog film

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great one.

[​IMG]

12. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

+1 for Don't Look Now...
    A great movie and please go see it if you haven't already, but for me one time is enough....

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Fassbinder's film Martha (1974) about a woman who marries a sadist, is the most disturbing film I've ever seen. I don't think I could watch it again, but I can remember so many things about it.

Claus LH likes this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yep, once is enough

15. Breanna

Breanna Well-Known Member

I remember watching 'Flowers in the attic' as a child and being completely freaked out, and had a few nightmares after watching it. I'm not sure how disturbing I would find it today though.

16. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Home movies of my wife's family reunion!!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

One of his heavier deeper thinking complicated movies outside of the crime Serpico Dog Day Afternoon types. Nonetheless the psychological thriller worked for me.

18. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Mulholland Drive deeply unsettled me as a kid. Just the other day, I caught Gore Verbinski's The Cure For Wellness, which, although definitely not at all on par with many of the other films previously mentioned earlier like Salo or A Serbian Film nonetheless had a number of truly disgusting scenes and was cinematographically and visually disturbing, without much respite, for its entire duration.

I also found Nocturnal Animals to be pretty disturbing, especially the psychological turmoil instilled in the lead-up to Jake Gyllenhaal's fictional wife and daughter's kidnap and rape by malicious good ol' boys.

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Movies: Any love for From Dusk Till Dawn 2&3?

Also, Is the tv series worth watching ?

20. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

'Begotten' for me. A Pagan retelling of the Christ myth. The first half hour of that movie is so disturbing, I've seen hardened gore hounds who couldn't hang with it. Little known but worth a look. Very unique.

21. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

The one I've seen most recently that fits the bill would probably be Cannibal Holocaust - though honestly I'd expected that to be much worse given its reputation. Still, I felt like I needed a shower when it was over.

Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer was another one that got me bad when I saw it back in the day. In both cases, I remember thinking "Okay, that was a good movie... but I don't ever want to see it again."

I have heard/read enough about Human Centipede, Serbian Film, Salo, etc. that I know I will never bother to see them. I watch films to be entertained, not scarred for life. There are film buffs out there who treat "extreme" movies like those as a metric of their "endurance" (to see how much they can "handle") but obviously I'm not one of them.

Chris DeVoe, Nice Marmot and Jackson like this.
  22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I thought it was a Pagan retelling of the Genesis creation story?

23. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Mother! Aronofsky runs hot and cold for me. This left me frozen solid.

24. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

Texas Chainsaw. Its feels like a documentary and has a raw atmosphere.[​IMG]

yesstiles likes this.
  25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I thought it was well done. The 2nd and 3rd instalments are a total waste of time!