Rubber Soul CD - Canadian Pressing Featuring Original UK Mixes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by button, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I believe that this has been covered in previous posts.

When the Beatles CDs were initially released in Canada, in 1987, Capitol/ EMI Canada imported West German, USA and UK Beatles CDs for their domestic market. Circa 1988 or 1989 (not positive about that date), Disque Americ was contracted to press Beatles from that point to 1994. These CDs were pressed in Drummondville, Quebec, Canada. EMI then took over pressing Canadian Beatles CDs themselves. ('Live ! At the BBC' is a DA pressed disc [1994], but 'Anthology 1' is pressed by EMI [1995].)

Disque Americ was pressing Beatles CDs in Canada for about five or six years, from c. 1989 - 1994. DA Beatles CDs were the first domestically pressed Beatles CDs in Canada.

2. Curtis

Curtis Forum Resident

OK, I'm goning to try and creat a timeline here, no guarantees though. Please, Please Me though Rubber Soul: 1st issues were from West Germany. Revolver through Let It Be were from USA. The first CDs I remember seeing with the "Canadian" catalogue numbers eg. C2-xxxxx were the 2 Past Masters, which was 1988. These are Disque Americ pressings. So I guess at this point, the whole catalogue started being pressed by DA. Sometime later, the Apple logo gets added to the back. This would have continued through Live At The BBC in 1994. By 1995, Anthology 1 was done by EMI USA, so at this point the whole catalogue would have started being pressed by EMI.

so for example... Help!
    CDP 7 46439 2 Parlophone logo, disc made in W Germany, printed in USA
    C2 46439 Parlophone logo, made in Canada by Disque Americ
    C2 46439 Parlophone and Apple logos, made in Canada by Disque Americ
    C2 07777 46439 2 Parlophone and Apple logos, made in Canada by EMI

3. Mal, EMI Canada did not press the Beatles CD catalogue until at least 1990. I was working in radio when the Beatles albums were first issued on CD 1987-88. Three or four of the Beatles CDs I received directly from the local EMI office. (Thanks to them I have a moderately low number on the original White Album CDs, 032067, compared to what was out there in retail.) The rest I purchased at a local ma & pa store called Casablanca Video. (They are still in existence, but don't sell CDs anymore.) The early discs were pressed by EMI W-Germany. Everything from Revolver on is Capitol U.S. The only Beatles CD I have pressed by DISC AMERIC is Past Masters Volume One (which I bought again in the early 1990s when 4 of my Beatles CDs went missing).

4. I checked my 1990s Beatles CDs including 1962-1966 released in 1993, the Anthology series 1995-96 and Yellow Submarine Songtrack 1999 all purchased at time of release. The discs are all EMI Canada, pressed by EMI Mfg.

5. Where are you getting this information from? Did you work for EMI at one time?

The red and blue CD sets were released in 1993. My pressing of "Beatles Red" is EMI Mfg.

6. The Past Masters Volume Two CD I have, purchased at time of release was pressed by Capitol U.S., no Apple logo on the tray card.

7. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

You must add

C2 46439 Parlophone and Apple logos, made in Canada by EMI

to this list.

8. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:thumbsup: Close with these exceptions -All of my Beatles' discs were bought on day of release in Toronto.
    Past Masters One & Two - UK discs.
    Sgt. Pepper's CD - made in West Germany.

9. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I just read on another website that the whole "mono fold-down" issue was uncovered and brought to Capitol's attention because of a Philly radio show host and the Steve Hoffman forum - pretty impressive!

10. Well, Bruce Spizer seems to be taking sole credit for it on HIS website, with nary a mention of the emails he was bombarded with from forum members. :(

11. eBay update:

The DA Rubber soul is now up to $62.00. Unreal for a CD that is apparently not rare!!!

The DA Help is up to $42.00.

Man, this forum has a distorted effect on economics!

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The 'Past Masters 1 and 2' CDs first sold in Canada by EMI Canada were UK imports.

P.S. Some of the early CD releases have 'Made in the USA' on the back cover but the discs were actually made in West Germany.

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

This makes me regret ever contributing to this thread.

14. tootull

Does this mean a higher Canadian dollar? :shh:

:shake: Have all of these freak Rubber Soul & Help! CDs been originally purchased from a 'Sam The Record Man" store?

15. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

With all due respect and thanks to Button, credit should be given to that person who posted on the Google discussion board back in '99.

16. tootull

FYI - A&A records Yonge&Dundas - day of release. 037378

17. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Where've you been? It all started right here, top of page 68:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=74288&page=68&pp=20

18. munson66

munson66 Forum Dilettante

For what it's worth, pages 1 and 8 (the front cover art and the track listing) have a coating of varnish. Pages 2 through 7 are coated stock, but with a considerably duller finish.

19. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

Greetings Members of the Secret SH Forum E-bay Price Gouging Society,

Our plan to unload our warehouses full of worthless Canadian "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" at massively inflated prices is proceeding apace.

This looks to be as successful as our previous triumphs with "Who's Next", "Die Beatles", and Export pressings of "Hey Jude".

Remember, no public announcements regarding the 1999 French run of "Sgt. Pepper" compact discs in mono are to be made until our sales figures on these two items begin to decline. The existence of the folddown mono editions of SPLHCB is also to stay quiet, as we intend to mix a few of these at a time into the supply of those mastered from the 1967 analog tape.

Thank you. We look forward to another top secret fortune in the coming months!

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

(edit) Oh Lord... did this get posted to the regular Music Forum instead of the Secret forum?

P.S. For the irony-impaired, there is no such thing as Secret SH Forum E-bay Price Gouging Society. Really. Forget you ever heard of it. - Doug

20. munson66

Indeed. Human nature is something else.

One of my editing projects is a quarterly financial newsletter. The writers are a couple of self-styled contrarian investors; basically, they buy companies with good fundamentals that most of the market has forgotten about or flat-out rejected.

Whenever they buy or sell a stock, they send an e-mail announcement to their subscribers. It comes out at 9 p.m. If you monitor those stocks the next morning, the buys are through the roof, while the sells are in the crapper. I've seen swings of 15 percent.

The irony is that the writers have made healthy profits by going against the herd mentality, and they repeat over and over that you should make your own decisions about when to buy or sell. But a good chunk of the readership just can't resist triggering their own herd response!

The other funny thing is that, if you're willing to wait a few days, you stand a pretty good chance of buying or selling at better prices than the writers could get in the first place.

It's easy to conflate price with worth. And when a perception of scarcity gets thrown into the equation, look out!

A year from now, these DA pressings will probably turn up at yard sales for a couple of bucks.

21. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

I've been here all along! That's exactly what I was referring to - I just wanted to show another example of the far-reaching effect of this forum. It's nice to part of a community that has such an influence and impact. :)

22. munson66

A bit nit-picky, but I don't see "Made in the USA" anywhere on my WTB. It does say "Manufactured by Capitol Records" yada yada "Vine Street" yada yada. And it says "Printed in the USA." Which indicates Capitol must have known at this stage that the discs were going to be pressed outside the US.

23. tootull

:wtf: You're banned from Canada.

24. munson66

I suddenly felt sympathy pangs for anyone who puts a garden-variety Canadian Beatles CD up on eBay. They're gonna be bombarded with questions about matrix numbers and microphone thumps and pops and hiss and echo and inhalations.

Oh, well, for US$62 and counting, I guess you learn to make some concessions. ;)

25. maccacollector

maccacollector Member

Hello forum members!

I've surfed onto this thread from another forum which was discussing this recent hot topic.
    I have just finished reading the first 15 pages of the discussion and must say that it has definitely rekindled my interest in my old Beatles cd catalogue.

I dug them out and sure enough I have the original mixes on RUBBER SOUL and HELP!.
    In fact, all 14 titles of my complete set (those available at the time) were made in the Quebec plant. So it looks like Canada has finally contributed something to the collecting world. Leave it up to our sovereignty-bent province to do something right!

So have you all concluded that RUBBER SOUL and HELP! are the only titles of interest?
    Is there anything else that might have slipped through that I can check on the other titles?

Regards,

Matt