Stephen King's 'IT' (2017 film - aka It: Chapter One)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Texastoyz, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I never got around to watching the made for tv miniseries. But the above clown does not instill fear at all.

2. You need to see him in action.

Saw "It" tonight. Quite good. The actors were really good which is hard for kids to pull off and look natural.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well done movie.

I read the book but never saw the miniseries.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  4. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Tim Curry's performance is a masterful balancing of playing up the silliness you expect from a clown but with a terrifying edge to it, while Skarsgard goes all-out on the sinister side. Both are incredibly compelling to watch.

Saw It tonight and was very impressed. Not nearly as intense or outwardly frightening as I expected based on the hype, but it's a fantastic and well-crafted film. I like keeping the focus on the kids vs. jumping between eras. Chapter 2 should be excellent.

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Saw it last night, and loved it. I enjoyed the kids as much as the scary Pennywise stuff. The movie is like Stand By Me, except instead of Kiefer Sutherland chasing the kids, it's a clown.

6. Clowns arent scary unless they are real life serial killers.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The people who have a crippling fear of even regular clowns would probably disagree with you. :)

8. o_O
    It's the whole "not their real face" thing and garish grandmother's make up that gets most people. Kids,are naturally afraid of them just as they are suspicious of men with beards (at least in studies and in my experience as my son when we first adopted him was terrified of me u til,I shaved it off and then gradually regrew it). Maybe it's because they are trying to MAKE you laugh. It's a control thing.

9. Nah, because they had a bully. It's like a Stand By Me except the dead body of the kid they are seeking is trying to kill them!

Grunge Master likes this.
  10. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I saw it last night. The opening scene of Georgie meeting Pennywise in the storm grate was very creepy. The closeup shots of Pennywise's face, his eyes, his elongated front teeth & his way of speaking were much more powerful than flat out monster clown later in the movie. I would have prefered more subtle horror like this through the movie but that's just me. I thought it was very well done, well acted & very entertaining. Just not scary.

11. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I wonder if the second movie will have Pennywise on the side of the road. Way creepy!

12. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Saw the original miniseries on tv as a really young child and it was terrifying back then. But watching it now it's more campy than I'd remembered. This version was a delight. The kids in the losers club seemed pretty genuine and how I remember kids acting when I was that age in the 90s. I'm glad the Pennywise character wasn't a rehash of Curry's role as well. Looking forward to chapter two.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    neo123, BLUESJAZZMAN and enro99 like this.
  13. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

So I was driving around today and saw this:
    [​IMG]

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If I were deathly afraid of clowns, and knew what that referenced and saw that by chance walking down the street I would be really freaked out! :)

5th-beatle likes this.
  15. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched this film. It was excellent, the kids had great chemistry and were very funny. Good acting and interesting story as well. A few dramatic scenes were quite touching and even better than the scary ones.

agentalbert likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The second part is set to come out in 2019.

17. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think this was the first movie I've seen with this amount of cursing coming from kids. I've seen R-rated movies with kids in it but it was usually it was the adults that did most of it. I remember from when I was a kid that this was the way we talked to each other but it still seemed strange to hear this level. Sign of our times I guess.

neo123 and Chris from Chicago like this.
  18. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Loved it.

5th-beatle likes this.
  19. metal134

metal134 Forum Resident

Only in that they aren't whitewashing it. I was a kid during that time period and that's how we talked.

20. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Agreed, it struck me watching it that I've never seen real children say the F-bomb so much in a film before, but they do talk like that in the novel.
    According to the screenwriter, Finn Wolfhard (Richie) also ad-libbed a good chunk of his jokes.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Again, based on the kids in the novel and the way they talk, smoke etc it's hard to believe they're supposed to be eleven, twelve years old.

22. Not hard for me to believe. Me and my friends acted just like those kids.

23. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Fully agree. I mean some 11 or 12 year old's are coming up to puberty. Me and my friends were good kids but at that age we would all take smokes without our parents noticing, sneak a can of beer out of the house and curse until the cows came home. It's part of growing up and thinking you are cool. We just didn't do it in front of adults.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Curse until the cows came home, yes indeedy, but smoke and drink and screw like the kids in IT do? Uh, no...all that came later, when we were like 14, at least:laugh:

25. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Did they screw?? Maybe they did in the book which I must admit I haven't read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.