Greta Van Fleet...Anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree of Life, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

I prefer my Zep soundalikes with more balls, like these guys. :)

2. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

:agree:

Timeaisis likes this.
  3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Highway Tune is getting to be a huge hit on Active Rock radio

tmtomh and artfromtex like this.
  4. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

Dang, that kid can SING, but he's gotta get a little more comfortable and animated on stage...he needs the rock star attitude soon!

tmtomh likes this.
  5. artfromtex

tmtomh likes this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I would definitely say there is a bit more of a Zeppelin presence than I am comfortable listening too haha I don't know, I just cannot separate his voice as its own thing rather than just hearing someone do their best Robert Plant circa 1969 impression (which I admit is a great impression nonetheless). The songwriting itself I just haven't grabbed onto yet, I mean the riffs and production are all there but when I hear the songs I go "yeah this is alright... but why listen to this when I have Physical Graffiti and LZII on my library to jam out to instead?"

Even in Highway Tune, it just makes me want to listen to The Rover instead. To each their own I suppose, for me I just tend to gravitate towards bands that can pay homage to the bands that came before them but in less of a novelty act way (i.e. look how close I can sound to Plant) in that aspect. In my opinion of course

tim185, Gumboo and mattright like this.
  7. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

I dunno, Zep is my favorite band and I'm really digging these guys even after just discovering them a few hours ago. Gripping me like new music doesn't do very often.

I can see the complaints with them copping their sound...but to me it sounds more like a channeling. Coming from the same place, and using a similar way of writing music. Sure, Highway Tune really, really, really sounds like a Zep tune. Especially considering it almost has no melody and just kind of riffs everywhere. Very similar to how some early Zep hits go.

But...the rest of the EP shows that they have more diverse musical tastes, and in the vein of Zeppelin they branch out and not everything is just a loud, driving hard rock song (QOTSA, I'm looking at you). Obviously, it's just 4 tracks, so this all remains to be seen...but what we've got on the EP is diverse enough for me to a) want to keep listening to it because it's so fresh and b) hope that they will be more than the sum of their parts (and influences) -- much like LZ became heh. Nothing will ever be LZII or Physical Graffiti ever again, but I'm willing to track these guys and see what shakes out.

Besides, I'd rather hear new Zeppelin tunes today than most new things, so even if they are copping them what's the big deal? :p

tmtomh likes this.
  8. artfromtex

Go to YouTube. You can find live vids of them doing more original material. They are playing loud in clubs, so the audio is usually overloaded, but it gives you an idea.

Quincy and tmtomh like this.
  9. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Senior Member

I've been playing their EP constantly for a week. I think, "Where were these guys when I was wasting time trying to enjoy dreck like the Fleet Foxes?" More balls in the first ten seconds of this record than in the previous decade beardy acoustic whiners combined.

10. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

Just heard about this band. Going to check them out on YouTube to see what the hype is all about. If they are as good as I'm reading about I may get their EP. Hopefully it's not a victim of the loudness war. Would be really sweet if mastering was as good as Zep.

11. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

It's not horrid, but it ain't perfect either.

You should check out all 4 tunes though (Spotify) as they are all good in there own way.

12. artfromtex

True. Definitely modern, but not "bad".

The HDTracks version is the best way to go. Same mastering, it seems, but the CD is impossible to get and the only other option is lossy MP3's.

13. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Tickets for their Detroit show sold out during the presale. My wife loves the band so I paid $49 each for $20 tickets. They're almost $100 on StubHub and rising fast.

14. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Going to see them on December 30th in Battle Creek, MI.
    It's just a small club, so tickets sold out quick. A few of us here at work decided to go and one of the guys picked up the tickets before they sold out.
    $27/each for tickets after the stupid fees. I can't wait!

Tree of Life likes this.
  15. Josh C

Josh C Forum Resident

Been watching the vids on YouTube. This band definitely rocks. I haven't bought music by a new band in I can't even remember how long, but that just changed. Acoustic Sounds has 20% off code, which brought the 24/44.1 download to $5.58, so I pulled the trigger. DR is not great, but the band sure does rock. I look forward to future releases.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-10-06 21:19:59

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Greta Van Fleet / Black Smoke Rising
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.74 dB 3:01 01-Highway Tune
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.08 dB 3:56 02-Safari Song
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.24 dB 5:13 03-Flower Power
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.35 dB 4:21 04-Black Smoke Rising

Number of tracks: 4
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 1745 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

LarryP and Tree of Life like this.
  16. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Give these guys some time to work it out man. So what if they sound like LZ. How old are they? 19! I hope they ake some great records.
    Tim

LarryP, gillcup and Tree of Life like this.
  17. I heard Highway Tune on the radio and couldn't figure out what it was. So I tried searching the lyrics and too many songs with the words as the title. Thought it was some lost Zep outtake. Great song. Finally found it on YouTube. These guys have a lot of talent.

Tree of Life likes this.
  18. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

They just announced a double EP 'From The Fires' available Nov. 10, I'll for sure be grabbing a copy

19. artfromtex

Hell yeah!

Tree of Life likes this.
  20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

So far all I can find is info for a CD release. Hoping they put it out on vinyl as well.

Tree of Life likes this.
  21. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Highway Tune is highly contagious and ingenious, in my book.
    Great band!

Tree of Life likes this.
  22. aroney

I hear ya, 8 tracks is the perfect length too.

JasonA likes this.
  23. artfromtex

From Blabbermouth:

Emerging young Michigan rockers GRETA VAN FLEET will release "From The Fires", an eight-song double EP, on November 10 via Lava/Republic.

"From The Fires" will feature on one disc four brand new GRETA VAN FLEET recordings as well as the four critically acclaimed tracks from the band's breakout EP "Black Smoke Rising", including "Highway Tune", the band's debut single that spent five consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Mainstream Rock Radio chart. The four new tracks were recorded last month at Rust Belt Studios in Detroit and produced by the same duo that produced "Black Smoke Rising" earlier this year, Al Sutton and Marlon Young.

According to the band's vocalist Josh Kiszka, compiling the four "Black Smoke Rising" tracks with the four new recordings made for an ideal grouping. "All eight of these songs share a theme of basic humanity," he said.

"From The Fires" will be available both digitally and as a physical disc. For those fans that have already purchased the "Black Smoke Rising" tracks via iTunes, they are invited to complete their "From The Fires" double EP at a special price. Log on to iTunes for those details.

Read more at GRETA VAN FLEET To Release 'From The Fires' Double EP

gillcup and RandelPink like this.
  24. aroney

The new "Double EP" will include the four previously released tracks along with 4 NEW tracks.

Sounds like their first album to me.

25. artfromtex

I think they are calling it a double EP because they have worked out a deal for those who purchased the first EP to not have to pay iTunes for those first four songs.

Of course, I bought mine from Amazon and then HD Tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.