Is there any reason Frasier didn't get an HD remaster like Cheers?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by OldSoul, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

Frasier was a very popular show, and every season finished in the Top 10 of the Nielsen Ratings, except for the final season - which was 12th. Cheers only had one season (season 9) where it did better, by being the #1 show. None of the first three seasons of Cheers made the Top 10.

OldSoul likes this.
  2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Frasier had great dialog. Some of the situational stuff got to Threes Company level, but I always stuck around to hear Niles and Frasier do dialog.

OldSoul and artfromtex like this.
  3. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

My wife got me an autographed picture of Peri Gilpin one year for Christmas. She's fine with my Roz crush.

And we both agree this is one of funniest bits we've ever watched on TV:

4. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Frasier on Blu
    Would be a dream come true...

Steve...O and Benno123 like this.
  5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I like the farce they'd do.

One of my favorite episodes is the one where the radio talent does an old radio drama. I laughed until I cried at how it devolved into utter chaos.

Another one is the ski lodge where everybody was interested in somebody else than whoever was interested in them. Made for some funny theatrical comedy.

artfromtex and OldSoul like this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep, farce was used often and, importantly, brilliantly executed. The two eps you mention were certainly classics. I also enjoyed the Crane brothers restaurant opening ep and the one with Niles at this new digs trying to avoid being seen with a cockatoo anchored to his scalp!

MartyTem, Strat-Mangler and OldSoul like this.
  7. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Brilliant episodes!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

Frasier's she-devil agent, Bebe, was a hoot whenever she appeared. It was a wise decision to space her appearances out so that they'd be special. The episode where Bebe and the Boy Scout leader vie for Frasier's business (it is the one with the Crane bird attacking Marty) is a laugh riot no matter how many times I see it. The Dr. Nora episode with Christine Baranski is also very well done.

Out of 11 seasons there were very few episodes I didn't thoroughly enjoy.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

I loathe Dr Nora. What a terribly annoying character she was. Same with Kirby. And that Winston guy as well.

The episodes where they are shown are easily skipped by me. As much as I love the series, that's when I knew the writers were running out of ideas.

Steve...O likes this.
  10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think my favorite episode is the one where Niles makes the half-court shot and wins a pick up truck. He and Frasier plan to take it antiquing.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Steve...O

Steve...O Forum Resident

I respect your view. My perspective is the fact that Nora was a loathsome character is what made it work for me. Watching her get her comeuppance is hilarious and is Roz wanting to take her out and having to be restrained by Frasier.

Blimpboy likes this.
  12. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Any word on this?

13. Strat-Mangler

On what?

14. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

It gettting HD or Blu Ray release? I haven't seen anything

15. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

I wouldn't count on it. You have to remember that this is a long-running show and studios need to be convinced there is a market for this.

As much as I'd like to see it as I'm a huge fan of the show, I personally doubt it would sell enough copies to warrant whatever huge amount of money it'd take to do the job right.

I think it's safe to say The Simpsons have generated more money and have more fans than this sitcom and the former's earlier seasons are still unavailable in HD. That should give you a clue that seeing Frasier in HD is unlikely to happen for quite a while. :(

OldSoul likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure why a cartoon needs to be in HD. It's not like the large areas of flat color with black keylines need better resolution or higher bitrates.

18. Strat-Mangler

That would be an incorrect assumption. You'd only have to watch a Warner Bros cartoon in HD to see the difference immediately. It won't look as blatant as it does when actually viewing the content in motion, but if you click on the following pic, you can see that the jump in quality also impacts colors and gets rid of the color bleeding which affects the SD version.

[​IMG]

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can point to a couple of dozen classic Disney cartoons that would convince you that the HD looks a lot better than the SD even for animation. In the case of Frasier, the show would hold up very well in HD and was actually framed for 16x9 for most of the show's run, even though only the 4x3 extraction made it to air in the 1990s.

McLover, Steve...O and The Hud like this.
  20. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

I guess the fact that there are 11 seasons it wouldn't benefit studios. Tho Seinfeld, granted much bigger show is on Hulu in 720 I believe. It looks much better than the DVDs.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was all mastered in 1080 24p. What they show it in is up to the individual channel. Most streaming services base their resolution and bitrate on the ultimate destination... and that includes really crappy bitrates for stuff like cellphones.

McLover likes this.
  22. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

"Oh sheath your butter knife sharp wit."

McLover, Vidiot, Deesky and 3 others like this.
  23. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

Really, I don't know why I thought it was 720. It looks pretty good I must say.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why not syndicate the last 2 Frasier seasons if they already exist in HD?

OldSoul likes this.
  25. FrasierNervosa

FrasierNervosa Forum Resident

Okay, I'm a big fan so I'm biased, but you're right. If you have the HD masters and most tv nowadays is aired in widescreen HD format, why not include them in the syndication package?

Also has anyone ever noticed a difference in how Frasier looks in syndication vs on DVD/Netflix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.