The BLUEGRASS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry, Feb 9, 2017.

1. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

lazydawg58 and Dok like this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I really enjoyed this - I don't know how 'bluegrass' it is in spite of the instrumentation, but I thought it was a well-done reading.

Love Canon - Touch of Grey

cedarbrew likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I've seen that before and also liked it!

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

6. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Anyone ever do "FreshGrass" at Mass Moca? Taking the family to it this weekend. It'll be my 3.5 year olds first music festival outside the womb, so any festival tips would be appreciated!

mando_dan likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Nice!

10. bzfgt

You guys are some Newgrassers! More power to you, but I lean trad. Feel the power of Pittsburgh's own 1st-generation titan:

Dennis0675 and cedarbrew like this.
  11. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

I was introduced to (actually attempting to play along with) Bluegrass by some friends on mine. It's an incredibly precise style of playing on guitar, banjo, bass and fiddle. Unfortunately, overlooked by many. Yet, it's not for the faint of heart. It takes serious practice to hone those skills.

lazydawg58 and cedarbrew like this.
  12. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Tony Trischka & Béla Fleck are well worth listening to...

13. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

My son brought home a five string banjo from an Estate sale (in New Hampshire) and I played it for about a week and then recorded a idea for a Bluegrass song (bass, guitar, mandolin, banjo and drum brutalized by me). It's in a minor key (chords Em, A7, C, Em & D/F#) not really Bluegrass chords but I'll learn how to play it one of these days. :)

Grass is Blue Song Idea.

ianuaditis and Dok like this.
  14. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

Witness greatness. This performance always leaves me in awe.

15. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I'm listening to the Saturday morning bluegrass show on WWUH in Hartford. They just played a cut by Mac Martin and band, which was hot! Gotta buy me some Dixie Travelers. Thanks for the tip!

16. bzfgt

Not really bluegrass instrumentation either...not that I am outraged by that or anything, but remember the story of the guy (I don't remember whom) who asked Bill Monroe why no drums.

Guy: Why can't bluegrass have drums? They're acoustic, aren't they?

Monroe: Yeah, but them sticks ain't!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    mdent and budwhite like this.
  17. bzfgt

If you want to drink the hard stuff straight from the tap, try this:

Or the precursor Vern and Ray, where Herb Pedersen, beloved of Newgrassers everywhere, got his start...

samsondale likes this.
  18. bzfgt

No problem! I got to see him at a Moose lodge in Western PA once, I hate to say it but he's probably not around any more...

19. bzfgt

He wasn't stupid, and he did have a sense of humor, by the way (I mean I never met the man, just by all accounts)...I hasten to add this lest the anecdote be misinterpreted.

20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Had this on cassette back in the 80s and wore it out. Haven't heard it since then. Legendary show. Rowan is probably "turning the boys on" behind Bill's back. OBS is verging on Interstellar Overdrive... need to get a copy of this again but nice to find it on YouTube

PonceDeLeroy, Dennis0675 and bzfgt like this.
  21. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Heck, Bill said dobro wasn't bluegrass either! I give him the benefit of the doubt - he invented it!

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  22. bzfgt

Hmm...not bad for a week...you got talent I guess!

mdent likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Yeah, he got outvoted on that one...most people hate the dobro, mind you, but they still admit it can be bluegrass if you have one in your band...

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

I just ordered "Dawg & T." It's a two CD album of two live duet sets of Grisman and Rice from 1997, some of the songs from their "Duets" album done live with some other classics. Just stumbled upon this new release while perusing Dawgnet. Anyone here this release? How can it not be great? I heard that the download has two LESS songs than the CD version.

25. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

I'm planning to get that soon too, but haven't heard any cuts from it. You're right, zero percent chance that it won't be good. I think it just came out in early Sept, if I recall from seeing the date on Amazon.

Dawg is also releasing a duet album with Tommy Emmanuel later in Sept., I also read. So I'll order both of these, I'm sure.