The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

The forgotten pioneers of heavy metal (apparently)

Here's that album from the reformed band

A Different Game, by Iron Claw

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New Myrkur...

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

SKYCLAD is next, long out of print CD's and Vinyl coming out on Nov 3 :thumbsup:.

Wayward Sons
    Jonah's Ark
    Burnt Offering
    Silent Whales
    Prince of the Poverty Line

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Went and saw Accept last night here in Melbourne - amazing show 5 tracks from the new album played (21 songs all up 1/2 Tornillo era 1/2 Udo era) and the crowd went off considering it was a Sunday night too!

Met the band before the show and they were super cool guys. A great night all round my ears and body are suffering today though!!

6. Engelsstaub

Engelsstaub Forum Resident

That's awesome! I'd love to see Accept with Tornillo.

If anyone's interested their latest album "The Rise of Chaos" sounds very noticeably better on the 2 LP vinyl release. 45 RPM too.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  7. Fastnbulbous69

Fastnbulbous69 Forum Resident

Fans of Vektor's sci-fi themed technical death metal should enjoy the new Gigan. It feels like a step forward. Like the previous three, recorded by Sanford Parker, mastered by my bud Collin Jordan. I hope to catch them at Cobra Lounge 9/28.

Undulating Waves of Rainbiotic Iridescence, by Gigan

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Sorry...been busy...but currently digesting:

Eden's Curse: Revisited
    Lynch Mob: The Brotherhood
    MSG: Walk The Stage-The Highlights

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what did you think of that release?

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm a Schenker freak so I did a double-take on that one. Didn't sound familiar and thought maybe I missed a new release (like for example it was about 6-9 months before I even heard that he released that Schenkerfest show, which I like a lot).

Had to google that and when I saw the artwork I realized I have it as a "non-highlights" - that is a 4 CD/1DVD boxset that came out in 2009. I guess that full set is out of print? Amazon has only one seller with it and they are asking $250!!! Sheesh. Is this highlights CD a new thing they just came out with? I wonder which tracks/shows they chose to be "highlights"....

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Fastnbulbous69

Big release date tomorrow with a couple dozen albums coming out, about 13 of which interest me in some way. It's a good day for stoner/psych/sludge/doom/space rock fans with Ufomammut, With The Dead and Wand.

8, by UFOMAMMUT

"8 is Ufomammut’s 8th album, comprised of 8 tracks that flow into each other without interruption. This flow can also be seen when you tip 8 horizontally, thus it morphs into the leniscate from algebraic geometry – ∞ – a plane curve that meets at central point – or more commonly known as the infinity symbol. A continuous stream of movement reflective of the uninterrupted nature of the album but also the continued togetherness of the essential elements of the band – Urlo, Poia and Vita – since the beginning of the band’s history in 1999. ∞ tipped vertically sees us return to the number 8. It must be stressed there is no singular pronunciation of the title, 8 is to be spoken in every language e.g. “eight” in Engish, “otto” in Italian, “acht” in German, huit in french and so on. 8 is a continuous flux of music, a singular entity, which can be defined in micro measurements by its 8 satellite songs. Each track expands upon the preceding song, unfolding into an exceedingly dense and malevolent journey, resulting in this being Ufomammut’s most extreme venture yet, with no permittance for breathing space in the 48 minutes..." ∞8∞

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Here is info on it...I believe Lost Horizons is exclusive to this disc.

Walk the Stage: The Highlights - Michael Schenker Group | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have to give it another spin. On first listen I don't think its as strong as Rebel, and I liked the back half more than the front.

Jimmy Agates and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah i need to listen to the album and and the other 2 new lynch mob releases

Curveboy likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Lost Horizons is on the boxset that I have, from same show as listed on "The Highlights" (Hammersmith 9/25/80). Timing is different though - The Highlights shows it as 9:34 on Allmusic, but from the boxset it is listed as 11:11; the extra 2 minutes could be crowd noise/intros/etc.

I just looked over the tracklist on Allmusic, and thankfully all the tracks listed are also on the boxset. I'd be pissed if they put something on The Highlights but left it off of the main release. Happens all the time though!

Curveboy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Discovered these guys via Angry Metal Guy and loving them. Totally self released out of the Philly area. I know it's a cliché to say a band combines several elements seamlessly AND write good songs, but Lör does it. Sort of a cross between Symphony X and Blind Guardian with some Opeth thrown in. Check it out.

Fastnbulbous69 and weekendtoy like this.
  17. Fastnbulbous69

18. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

[​IMG]

A NWOBHM cult classic. My first spin. Really solid album, would've liked to see what these guys could've done for a follow up, with a little maturity and polish. From what I've read they went through big time personnel changes after this album, then disbanded for a bit.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Back to Lynch Mob The Brotherhood

I think part of my dislike is that right up front are two clunkers...I'll Take Miami and Last Call Lady. Also painful is the bonus track, Until I Get My Gold.

But there are some really, really great ones too...Until The Sky Comes Down is killer...and some really great stuff on Black Heart Days and Dog Town Mystics.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Ufomammut is one my favorite bands in the stoner/doom genre.

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Gave Jag Panzer's new album The Deviant Chord, that was released today, a quick listen after receiving it in the mail from Amazon. Upon first listen it is a solid Jag Panzer album and fans of Jag Panzer should like it. There are a couple standout tracks that I noticed immediately. I give this release two thumbs up and after I listen to it some more, it should grow as I get familiar with the songs.

Also, been listening to Overkill's complete discography all week (Studio releases, live albums, demos, etc.) in preparation for their concert tonight in Dayton, Ohio. I will be leaving in about a half hour for the trip up. Three other bands are also playing tonight. So, it is going to be a long night. Overkill's setlist is supposed to be about 14 songs with a mix of old and new songs, with 3 off their most recent album.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Jumping back to this...I think a lot of it was mastered off VINYL...but damn they have a lot of good tunes.
    Can you recommend any of their later material to check out?

23. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I started a thread this morning that was deleted because it was a "vs." thread and I will sneak it in here and see what you all think.
    I was listening to my music on shuffle (almost 4000 tracks) and I heard Ozzy - "Revelation (Mother Earth) followed immediately by Iron Maiden - "Revelations". I thought that was pretty cool. Two amazing songs with similar titles back-to-back. Now, both songs were the live versions. "Revelation (Mother Earth) was from the Ozzy/Randy Tribute album and "Revelations" was from Maiden's Live After Death.
    I asked myself, "Which is the better song"?
    It was difficult for me to pick, but after doing a little thinking, I came up with this: I chose Iron Maiden, but if I could have "Revelation (Mother Earth) immediately followed by Steal Away (The Night), I think I would have to go with Ozzy/Randy. Again, I would want the live versions (well, as live as they are;)).

BluesOvertookMe and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Normally Ozzy would trump Maiden pretty much every time...but Revelations is a killer Maiden track...so I have to give it to Iron Maiden on that pairing.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I’ll take Maiden between the two, easily. I never like the Ozzy tune. By the way, I thought that was kind of lame that thread got closed. You were merely asking people which song they liked better. I didn’t see how it really fell into the “vs” thread controversy. Anyway, rules are rules I guess and are interpreted in a haphazard manner. Nuff said.

500Homeruns and BluesOvertookMe like this.