South Park Seasons 21, 22, & 23*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Derek Slazenger, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll Thread Starter

Surprised there isn't a thread! If there is...my apologies....couldn't find it.

Anyway, did anyone else think episode 1 was the the best one for a few years?!

2. Dark Mavis

Dark Mavis Local Congressman

I love South Park, but was pretty disappointed in the first episode. Seemed very half-baked to me.

MikaelaArsenault, Complier and bopdd like this.
  3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

My feeling as well. I hope the rest of the season is better.

4. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was entertained.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thought it was hilarious

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Looks like I'm the odd man out. I thought it was rather bland and uninspired.

7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I thought it was so-so. I'm glad the show is back, but the episode didn't knock my socks off by any means.

8. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I thought it was a so-so episode, but I am really amused of all the reports afterwards about it setting off viewers amazon and Google devices as they were watching it. :)

9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Agreed.

Love South Park and have watched every episode. Hope they get better.

10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I loved it. I'm surprised no one has talked yet about how the episode got people's Amazon Echos to say naughty things.

11. agentalbert

Yeah, that was the best thing about the episode! I laughed more at that than I did the episode itself.

12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The Alexa gags were hilarious, but the overall plot was pretty bad in terms of normal episode quality. Trey and Matt still try to get mileage out of the funny line: "They took our jobs!" This is pretty much an attempt at remaking the "Goobacks" episode from season 8 with lesser plot results this time. I found this new episode pretty tedious apart from the occassional "They took our jobs" and the Alexa gags.

13. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll Thread Starter

I like the way Cartman's relationship has ended up!

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I haven't watched the past few seasons yet, so it was a surprise to see him with a girlfriend.

15. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

It was just OK. I kept looking at our Echo to see if it was lighting up but I guess I didn't have the TV volume up enough.

Hopefully the show will bounce back over the next few episodes.

16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

It wasn't top tier South Park, but it was fun.
    I'm very glad they've left the political stuff behind.
    The last series was way too Trump heavy. Apart from the Memberberries, I thought it was fairly forgettable.

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

They didn't leave anything political behind. This last episode was full of undertones of the political unrest these days. I personally love that about the show, because they manage to make both sides of an argument look so stupid that the argument itself then seems stupid, too. Member???

MikaelaArsenault and goodiesguy like this.
  18. I always find these episodes gutless and not particularly funny. Have the nuts to take a stand on something important. Trey and Matt can be funny, but they have little courage or apparently any social and political convictions.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The problem with Trey and Matt doing this kind of comedy is that they frequently just don't make it funny. Sure, point out the ridiculousness of both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump like they did last season, but don't forget to actually add humor beyond the ridiculousness of reality. Given that they seem to forget to actually add jokes a lot of the time the show becomes tedious to watch. "Oh my God, they killed Kenny" was funny a hundred times because of context. Hearing "turd sandwich" over and over again just isn't funny.

Oh, well, most shows lose it after a while. The Simpsons hasn't been funny in years. At least South Park still makes me laugh -- on rare occasions, though. I just wish they'd stop trying to make every episode a commentary on something and just come up with some demented story lines along the lines of "Scott Tenorman Must Die," "Cartman S**ks" or "Butters' Bottom B**ch."

20. agentalbert

I thought the whole last season with Troll-Trace and Cartman's change getting a girlfriend and then trying to get to Mars to avoid having his different past be discovered by the girlfriend was very funny.

21. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Could not have put it better myself. Sometimes whatever is going on in the world can't sustain 20 minutes of really strong comedy and I wish Trey Parker would realise this.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I should've worded it better. I meant specifically the overkill of overtly political Trump/Clinton material that dominated the last season.
    I too love that they never pick a side, they expose the flaws in all of them, much like Frank Zappa did with his political material.
    I just wish the last season had been a bit more varied in regards to content.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Member when Kenny got killed in every episode? I member!

No, I think this season is really good so far. Better than the last one, which didn't have as much laughs. I did like the Season before that though with the P.C. Principal introduced.

SandAndGlass and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I liked the second episode of this season. The relentless slaughter of kids by distracted drivers cracked me up.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not feeling it so far. Maybe they've lost their edge, maybe I've see it all before, I dunno, but there's just something missing, so far at least...

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.