So I am going to play every 45 in my collection.......(Part 3!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Juggsnelson, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member Thread Starter

Isaac Hayes-Theme From Shaft/Cafe Regios
    This soul/funk monster went to #1 in the USA in 1971. Great groove and some of the one liners still make me crack up. When Isaac's explanation to the choir girls for his cussin' (featuring Telma Hopkins) "I'm just talkin' about Shaft" hits the speakers, I smile every time.
    [​IMG]

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Wow! I have never seen a 45 of it, as I was deep into CD in 1992. Great song!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. Grant

Not much more can be said about this classic that hasn't already been said. But, I prefer the unedited album length.

Dan Steely and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. Juggsnelson

I agree....the unedited version is definitely the way to go!

Grant likes this.
  5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yeah, that's one I remember seeing on cassette single and CD single more than anything. I was still working in music retail in 1992. I saw her on tour that year.
    [​IMG]

team2, Grant and Juggsnelson like this.
  6. Juggsnelson

I love the lipstick writing of the title! Very cool.

Surly likes this.
  7. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Don't Stop Swaying is an odd little tune that has always fascinated me.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. Juggsnelson

Justin Hayward- Forever Autumn/The Fighting Machine UK ISSUE
    This track from Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds was cowritten with Gary Osborne (Little Jeannie) and reached #5 in the UK and #47 in the USA in 1978. The Moody Blues singer was the perfect,choice for this acoustic and flute lead tune...it sounds like a Moodies tune!
    [​IMG]

9. Juggsnelson

Head East- Never Been Any Reason/Love Me Tonight
    Although the B Side actually charted at #54 in 1975, we will focus on the A Side which hit #68 in 1975 and received much more airplay in my neck of the woods, even until this day. First off, great riff! Cool medley of guitar and keys. A bit Grand Funk until the Rush/BTO inspired co-lead vocals come storming in. Great chorus! Those 70's keyboards sound a bit dated but they lose none of their melodic impact. A classic in my book....a real rocker!
    [​IMG]

10. Juggsnelson

Hear N Aid- Stars/4 and a Half Minute News
    Heavy Metal's answer for famine relief! Lead vocalists include Ronnie James Dio, Kevin Dubrow, Don Dokken, and Rob Halford. Pretty great lineup!! Great musicians on the track too. The track was written by Dio and bandmates Vivian Campbell and Jimmy Bain.
    [​IMG]

BryanA-HTX, Grant and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Juggsnelson

Heart- Dog & Butterfly/Mistral Wind
    This slower departure for 70's Heart hit #34 in the USA in 1979. I am probably in the minority that thinks Ann Wilson sounds better singing folk and pop songs rather than rockers. Or maybe the band just always sounded forced full tilt rocking to me...either way. This is a beautiful song that is well done by all on board. Nancy's harmony vocals are a highlight for me. I think she is much better suited to harmony rather than lead vocals. This 45 sounds killer BTW.
    [​IMG]

12. Grant

I didn't hear this song until I bought the album used on a whim about 15 years ago. Good stuff!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. Grant

It's OK, but it ain't no "We Are The World". But, that's not the point. It was all about helping those who can't help themselves.

I love "Dog And Butterfly"! beautiful song, beautiful vocal!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. Juggsnelson

Heart-Tell It Like It Is/Strange Euphoria
    I was a bit shocked to see that this cover previously made famous by Aaron Neville hit #8 in the USA in 1981! It is well done but #8? Ann's vocal is exceptional as always, and it really carries the day here. A fine single based just on her performance. The sax is pretty good too!
    [​IMG]

Grant, ascot and Surly like this.
  15. Juggsnelson

Heart-This Man is Mine/America
    This Motown influenced track hit #33 in the USA in 1982. It would be the only charted single from the Private Audition LP. Cool harmonies and one of the last singles to feature Heart as a pure rock band. It almost looked like they were washed up at this point....
    [​IMG]

ascot and Surly like this.
  16. Surly

That album gets disregarded, and this record wasn't one of their strongest singles, but "City's Burning" from the same album is my favorite song by them. The guitars!!! MTV played the hell out of the video in the early days.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Grant

THis one impressed me when I heard it on the radio. I hadn;t yet heard "Even It Up", so I was pleasantly surprised to hear a brass section on a Heart song, and a classic soul song that I had grown up with, at that. The single version fades it out, but the album version on the Greatest Hits album has a nice soulful jam session.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. Juggsnelson

Heart-What About Love?/Heart of Darkness
    Didn't Roxette borrow this, and in a good way, for "Listen to Your Heart"?
    This remake of a song originally co- written by hitmaker Jim Vallance hit #10 in the USA in 1985. This ushered in a new, lighter side of Heart and the shift worked as this was their first top ten hit in the USA in 5 years. Check out those outfits on the sleeve! Extra wardrobe leftover from some period drama?? This is a solid, if unspectacular tune. Tons of backing vocals here, and Grace Slick and Mickey Thomas lend a hand....pretty good recruits!
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bobby Buckshot and ascot like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Heart-Never (remix)/Shell Shock
    This track written by Holly Knight and "Connie" (Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, and Sue Ennis) hit #4 in the USA and #8 in the UK in 1985. I like how the keyboard doubles the guitar chords on the intro. Cool little guitar fills on the bridge too. Nancy does a nice job harmonizing on the chorus. I dig the little ad lib shouts too ("No, No").
    [​IMG]

20. Juggsnelson

Heart-These Dreams (edit)/Shell Shock
    This tune written by craftsmen Bernie Taupin and Martin Page hit #1 in the USA and #8 8n the UK in 1986. Hearts first number one single....and....the first single to feature Nancy as lead vocalist! The lyrics are a bit cryptic but the story of becoming someone else each time you sleep in order to escape reality was hardly an original thought....still fun though. I think the band took some still shots from their Lost Boys tryouts and put them on the sleeve!
    [​IMG]

Surly, Bobby Buckshot and ascot like this.
  21. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I still love this song, and what a comeback album from Heart.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. Juggsnelson

Heart-Nothin At All (remix)/I've Got the Music in Me UK ISSUE
    This is my favorite Heart song!! The groove is so insistent and I love the vocal interplay on the chorus. Written by Mark Mueller, who besides writing the amazingly catchy theme to Duck Tales, also wrote Amy Grant's "That's What Love is For" and "Crush" by Jennifer Paige (which was a monster hit!). Ann sings the hell out of this song. Good harmonies by Nancy too. The beat is simple and steady but it has some balls to it. A flash of 70's Heart in the background. The single remix is quite different (and preferable) to the album version.
    [​IMG]

Surly, ascot and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. Juggsnelson

They really rose from the dead! The band and label picked excellent outside songwriter material for the Heart LP (Jim Vallance, Holly Knight, Martin Page, Bernie Taupin, Mark Mueller). That definitely helped a bit for sure! Couple that with the Wilson sisters great singing and a solid backing band and you get gold!

ascot likes this.
  24. Grant

This is the song that made me take notice of heart's new direction. I didn't care for the previous hit "What About Love", but this one seemed to have more of Nancy Wilson's classic singing voice, and the music was more interesting. "What About Love" was nothing but a generic power ballad compared to this one. But, I also like "Alone", so go figure...

It was "Never" that made me go out and buy the CD. Oh, and BTW, I much prefer the original album mix over the single remix that appears on all second pressings and comps. Two other songs were slightly remixed on second pressings, and there are a few variations of that, too.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Surly

I really like this period of Heart, even though they kind of resent it now. It really was a rebirth for them, after a number of years where it seemed like they were ready to fade away. This is from the same songwriting team that brought us, um..."We Built This City," but this is obviously a much stronger number. And I can never knock Martin Page, because I love that Q-Feel album so much.

I was kind of hoping you had "How Can I Refuse?" in your collection. Even though the Passionworks album wasn't a big success, I think that song is one of their best singles. The chorus is just so melodic.

Jrr, Juggsnelson and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.