Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. I actually surprised that the three Christian studio albums that these are sort of centered around aren't included in full in this set. Even though many of us already have them.

2. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

They probably considered it (e.g., BS10) but I'm glad they didn't. More room for other awesomeness.

HominyRhodes and SteveM like this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

You're surprised official studio albums aren't included in a "Bootleg Series"? I'd be surprised if they were.

bobcat and Beaneydave like this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

The first 'biblical rock' album... it would tie-in nicely, so maybe...

5. INSW

INSW Senior Member

How many of the period centric bootleg series include the studio albums?

6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Only the deluxe Another Self Portrait (though all of Bob's original Basement Tapes tracks from the official album are also on BS11).

7. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Right, so didn't make much sense to include them this time.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Hmm . . . I would say that is VERY arguable. For BS 11 (Basement Tapes)
    I find the 2CD set worthless. This was the first BS where I felt compelled to buy the 6 disc deluxe version, and I am very glad I did. The 2 disc set misses a LOT of the best stuff in my opinion.
    Virtually nothing from disc 1 (one of my favorite discs on the whole set) is on the 2 CD set. The distilled 2CD set was VERY poorly curated in this case.

For Vol 12 (The Cutting Edge), which I just very recently obtained the 6CD set of, I would say the same thing, but to a much lesser degree. Many of the alternates chosen for the 2CD set have much more interesting (and better) versions available on the 6CD set which should have been used instead.

For BS 13, I am not a big enough fan of this period to even consider the bigger version. I love the "Slow Train Coming" album, but am much less of a fan of "Saved" and "Shot of Love". Ironically, I think the 2CD set of this release will do me just fine, and honestly, I don't even think I will return to THAT all that often.

warewolf95 and savemenow like this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

However, it is highly likely that the Amazon price is going to ultimately be at least $20-$30 less than it is now. The BD price is fixed.

10. Would anyone like to take a punt on why Dylan's people chose San Diego for the special deluxe bonus treatment? The Fox Warfield shows have always had a great reputation (the 16th is pure dynamite) so could it simply be down to technical issues and / or SQ?

P.S. - I've never heard San Diego!

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What no live at Budokan outtakes included??? :laugh:

savemenow likes this.
  12. Probably but except for Slow Train they were not liked very much so like SP I thought they'd be included for a re avaluation.

It worked for SP.

13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I have most of the singles, too (including the "Trouble In Mind" B-side, missing the verse, and "Let It Be Me"), and until they revamped/reissued the Shot of Love LP, "Groom's Still Waiting" was only available as the B-side of "Heart of Mine." Some of the European singles had very nice picture sleeves, too.

I'm confident that you already knew all that -- just wanted to reminisce about the golden age of vinyl. :cool:

Percy Song likes this.
  14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I haven't heard San Diego either; I've wondered if they chose a show with a minimum of "controversial" comments in the spoken raps if they are promising a "complete" show.

SteveM likes this.
  15. I bought Shot Of Love for the first time in 1986 and "Groom's Still Waiting" was already there as the first track on Side 2.

16. slane

slane Forum Resident

It had been revised the year before.

SteveM likes this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Worthless??? Really???
    Open the Door, Homer / Odds and Ends / Million Dollar Bash / One Too Many Mornings / I Don't Hurt Anymore / Ain't No More Cane / Crash on the Levee / Tears of Rage / Dress It Up, Better Have It All / I'm Not There / Johnny Todd / Too Much of Nothing / Quinn the Eskimo / Get Your Rocks Off / Santa-Fe / Silent Weekend / Clothes Line Saga / Please, Mrs. Henry / I Shall Be Released / You Ain't Goin' Nowhere / Lo and Behold! / Minstrel Boy / Tiny Montgomery / All You Have to Do is Dream / Goin' to Acapulco / 900 Miles from My Home / One for the Road / I'm Alright / Blowin' in the Wind / Apple Suckling Tree / Nothing Was Delivered / Folsom Prison Blues / This Wheel's on Fire / Yea! Heavy and a Bottle of Bread / Don't Ya Tell Henry / Baby, Won't You Be My Baby / Sign on the Cross / You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
    Worthless???

Of course, most of us have some quibbles with this tracklist! I've got mine & obviously you have yours. But this is inevitable when distilling 6 discs down to 2. And FWIW, the more casual Dylan fans I know simply love this comp.

18. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yes, they made that the standard edition later on, but the first version of the LP was missing "Groom."

EDIT: ...as slane already explained. :)

SteveM likes this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

This will likely be the first Bootleg release I pass on getting the deluxe version. I don't see the need to hear these songs repeated disc after disc, although they are different live performances. IMO this is some of the weakest Dylan material of his career. This one would just be a dust collector on my shelf.

The 2 disc sampler will suffice.

savemenow, Spitfire and majorlance like this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Any theories as to why "Radio Spot January 1980, Portland, OR show" (disc 4, track 5) is included? I don't have it. Is there some interesting musical content? A particularly notable Dylan quote?

I've seen other archival sets that included radio spots. But generally, they're put at the end of the disc and function as fun novelties. Putting it in the middle of the sequence suggests this may be something different.

21. Maybe not coincidentally to tie-in with the release of Biograph which also contained the song.

22. S1m0ne

S1m0ne Forum Resident

Just read a comment on SDE which make me laugh: "Why did they put Jeff Lynne on the cover?"

mrjinks, bluesbro, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  23. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

This is my issue. I don't care that they have a super expensive 8 disc set for those that can afford it and wish to buy it. It does bother me that the 2 disc set is incredibly skimpy on the really cool unheard stuff. You are totally right that in the past, the 2 disc versions have been the "official word" and represented the majority of the cool stuff that the hardcore fan base clamors for. I'm sure the 2 discs worth of live stuff from this era will be great, but it's not the same value that we've been given in the past. Anyone can disagree, but for me and my wallet, that reeks of greed and milking the fan base. I get it. It's a business. While that's all perfectly fine and legal, I think it's a crappy way to treat fans.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  24. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

"Hi everybody, I'm Bob Dylan.
    Come on out to my show at the Paramount Northwest Theatre...or you're all going to HELL!"
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  25. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

I think that radio spot might be post-show interviews of from Albuquerque that were made into a radio ad for the upcoming shows in Portland.

DeeThomaz likes this.