Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Ok, maybe worthless was too strong a word, but personally, with the existence of the 6CD "Basement Tapes Complete", and being a big fan of this period, the 2CD set could never satisfy me, no matter WHAT tracks they chose.
    There are so many great songs here that I couldn't imagine not having it all.

I've actually been listening to it all week in anticipation of my plans for next weekend: A bunch of friends and myself
    rented Big Pink next weekend. :)

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

At this point, I buy the 2-CD sets strictly to keep the collection complete, although the unique 2-disc distillations of BS11 and 12 were both very good "best of" collections, and I've used them in the car a few times. I'd generally rather have studio stuff than live, but this might be the one era where the live stuff is by far the best way to hear the songs. I don't collect live boots much, so I'm thrilled to have San Diego, Toronto (composite) and Earl's Court -- but there have to be at least a few of those studio / rehearsal tracks that are as "essential" as the live tracks on Discs 1 and 2.
    If you're really into vinyl, I think the 4-LP BS13 is probably a great catch-all of the gospel period -- the natural successor to Live At Budokan in the catalog. Haven't noticed the price, because I won't be getting it, but the BS LPs are usually pretty pricey, no? And let's be real -- Sony treats the Bootleg Series vinyl as a collector's item, not a complete product, because they only press vinyl of the 2-CD versions. (Except for BS1-3, obviously.) I suspect this is more because Sony knows that vinyl is cool and trendy, and less because they think people should own the Bootleg Series on vinyl and listen to it that way.
    No doubt, and I shouldn't have used the word "throwaway" -- the material on Disc 1 and 2 is probably an outstanding "best of" of the entire live Gospel period, and I have no doubt I'll be listening to it a lot. But if it were the ONLY version you bought, you'd be missing out on some essential songs, like "Yonder Comes Sin" and "You Changed My Life," and brand new songs like "Rise Again" and "Making A Liar Out Of Me." So while the live discs 1 and 2 might be a terrific and enjoyable listen, they aren't a thorough overview of BS13.
    Yes, I agree. I'd guess that Jeff Rosen designed Discs 1 and 2 as the best way for a casual fan to experience BS13. Personally, I would prefer a studio disc and a live disc, but it really doesn't matter what I think because I'm buying the Deluxe anyway.
    No doubt -- Mr. Rosen has my sympathies. I'm ready to step in whenever he gets exhausted from it all.... :D

3. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Damn it, that ImportCD's price is great. Is the San Diego bonus disc really worth an extra $80 bucks? Thinking of canceling my BD.com order, but that comment about end-of-the-year John Wesley Harding bonus downloads (like they did w/ the $600 BS12 set) is giving me pause... seems kinda far-fetched right? :whistle:

4. Sean Murdock

Not much of a quandary -- the Amazon price will surely drop, and the Sony price will surely NOT drop. It all comes down to how much San Diego means to you.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

The full verse version of Trouble in Mind is on te Pure Dylan CD compilation from 2011 for information.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I strongly doubt any consideration beyond weighing sound quality vs performance quality guided this choice. Doesn't necessarily mean we would all agree with their ultimate conclusion if we got to hear all the material for ourselves, but things like spoken raps can easily be edited out if need be.

Also, as the Live 1966 box demonstrated, recordings of this nature aren't always complete. It certainly possible their choices where constrained by whichever shows happened to be captured in their entirety.

7. Sean Murdock

You probably just answered your own question!

SteveM likes this.
  8. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Could be, but the 1979 ROIOs I have heard are pretty consistent, and a "best" performance choice is pretty arbitrary. I'm thinking they were more on their game by 1979 as far as getting the complete shows in top quality, too.

9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Am I right in that it became standard on the US LP, but not UK/Europe? I bought my SoL vinyl circa 1990, new, in Sweden, and it does not have Groom. The standard CD that I bought a few years later, did have it though.

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I'll confess now: I purchased the Sgt. Pepper box on day one and haven't opened it yet! I was a bit busy doing something else :shh: which was far more interesting (and satisfying) in the summer and it slipped down the priority list.

Beaneydave likes this.
  11. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

To me? Yes.

bobcat likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

As you said ... arguable. Before I thought a 6-CD set was even possible, all I wanted out of the Bootleg Series for the Basement Tapes was a 2-3 disc set that had everything on the 1975 album (minus the non-Basement tracks), without the overdubs, and restoring the most obvious omissions ("Sign On The Cross," "I'm Not There," etc.). If you're a total Basement Tapes fanboy, you're going to want the full enchilada anyway, so it comes down to what you consider the "obvious omissions." I guess if you love "All American Boy" you have a legitimate beef, but overall I'd say that the 2-CD BS11 got the most important stuff covered.
    Problem is, distilling 17 CDs down to 2 and making them "perfect" is a fool's errand, and no two Dylan fans will agree on which 30-40 takes are the "best" ones. I'd still say they covered the most important bases -- quibbling over this take vs. that take is just sport.
    Admittedly, for someone who isn't a huge fan of the gospel period, then discs 1 and 2 as-is are probably perfect. If you don't love those albums, why would you love rehearsals from those albums? But there are a couple of major songs omitted here. Maybe it should have been a mirror image of most of the studio-heavy BS sets -- 90% live, 10% studio. Have two mini "sets" of live on each CD, broken up by a studio track. I don't know ... I'm just thinking out loud here. I'll be listening to the Deluxe set on November 3rd, and getting the 2-CD set just for "the shelf"...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  13. Sean Murdock

Open it, man! What are you waiting for!? You have about six weeks before BS13 comes out -- now you have something to listen to! :agree:

Percy Song likes this.
  14. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Yes, that's why I noted the "missing verse" on the original 45. I was hoping they would include the full take on the new set, but they pulled a fast one and included a previously unreleased version instead, which will be great to hear.

BTW:That Pure Dylan CD also has the B-side version of "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" that's otherwise only available on Masterpieces.

15. DeeThomaz

Pure Dylan is a very enjoyable set. I'm thinking about starting a thread on Dylan compilations, with the hope of shining a spotlight on some of the more oddball collections out there like this. Would there be any interest in something like that?

16. HominyRhodes

Sean "Spokeman For a Generation" Murdock -- you are totally killing it with your posts here today, pal...Thank you.

What kind of coffee do you drink? I'm gonna have to get me some.

Peter_R, Mazzy, Percy Song and 3 others like this.
  17. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

But Masterpieces has the only CD version on Rita May :winkgrin:

18. DeeThomaz

There's also the Japanese "Mr D's Collection #3" promo. But that's getting pretty deep in the weeds.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Rosen said, more or less, that there is no reason for a JWH "copyright collection" since none of it has ever escaped. So yes, I think it is quite the long shot.

domcasmurro and picassoson like this.
  20. HominyRhodes

Huh, that's weird. Time to consult Searching For A Gem!

21. HominyRhodes

Yes, sir.

22. Sean Murdock

Remastered and in stereo as well, if I recall correctly. I know it's the best sounding copy of that song I have...

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. Sean Murdock

I don't drink coffee -- I am sustained and inspired by the Holy Spirit! (Spirit of the Bootleg Series, that is...)

Mazzy, Hep Alien and HominyRhodes like this.
  24. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Here's a quote for you Percy:

"I'm taking the time for a number of things
    That weren't important yesterday..."

Open it! :winkgrin:

Percy Song likes this.
  25. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

What keeping you, Dee? :winkgrin:

-- David

HominyRhodes likes this.