Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Judgment! is another of my favorite Music Matters/Blue Notes, musically and sonically. One of the most inventive quartets in post bop.

dzhason likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was checking this one out a couple of weeks ago on Apple Music and really liked it, so I ordered the record.

Curtis Fuller - The Opener (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

Six String and vanhooserd like this.
  3. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

finally, finally managed to pick up a copy of this gem! was lucky to snag a copy from HMV Japan, as they sold out pretty damn quick. absolutely stung on shipping, customs and handling fees, but so happy to finally have this one in my collection.

[​IMG]

Yesternow and dzhason like this.
  4. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Herbie Mann: "Peace Pieces: The Music of Bill Evans"

[​IMG]

Jackie P likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Jessica Williams - With Love (Origin)
    Solo piano

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Digging through my iTunes library looking for stuff that I haven't listened to in a while.

Paul Whiteman & his Orchestra - CBS Radio Shows

[​IMG]

7. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

I'm interested to know what the Jazz listeners here make of Snazzback, a band that are often found playing on the streets in Bristol city centre.

David Ellis, fingerpoppin and dzhason like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Sign me up, based on that clip, I'm 100% on board for Snazzback.

Al_D likes this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Another one I picked up after checking it out on Apple Music a couple weeks ago.

Paul Chambers Quintet (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

10. Al_D

Al_D Forum Resident

They are on Bandcamp, CD available. No records yet, but I'm hoping that will come at some point. If I see them about when I'm out, I'll have to ask.

dzhason likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The Complete Verve Master Takes would make an excellent complement. Bird was still pretty damn great after 1949.

[​IMG]

Jimijam and dzhason like this.
  12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was eyeballing that one too, there's some good stuff on the Best of Verve Years set that I have already, but my preference is for the Dial/Savoy material. However, I'll have to do a little cross-referencing of the track lists between this and what I already have to see how much new unheard material I'd come out with.

When I used to live in Brooklyn, my morning commute to work coincided with this radio show that was all about Bird and going through his material chronologically. I don't remember the name, but I think it was on 88.9 (it was definitely low on the dial). The guy hosting the show, who's name I unfortunately don't recall and who also had a book of Bird related paraphernalia, really went deep, it was awesome. I think there was a period of at least a month (I think it was actually more like a few months) that just focused on the Charlie Parker with Strings material.

EDIT: I want to say the show was called Birdflights but I'm not 100%.

EDIT to the EDIT: I decided to not be lazy and google, yes, the show was called Bird Flight and aired on 89.9, hosted by Phil Schaap.

Jimijam likes this.
  13. Lonson

Rosa Passos "Canta Antonio Carlos Jobim"

[​IMG]

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I like her cover! A nice tribute and I'm sure the music is good too.

I've been listening to Neil Young's live one from the Bluenote Cafe while working on my chili. It's simmering away as we speak so I can rest a bit. All that chopping and stirring four pounds of meat is hard work! I had the butcher do the coarse grind on half of it as I no longer have a machine tgat can do that. He did it in ten minutes too! I cubed the other half so the texture is more insteresting with that combo.

While out shopping for the non meat items and other sundries I dropped by a little antique shop that has some vinyl curated by a guy who knows his stuff and sells at reasonable prices unlike most antique stores. I found an OJC lp of Meet Oliver Nelson with Kenny Dorham & Ray Bryant, Wendell Marshall and Art Taylor. It's his recording debut and I've never heard it or seen it before afaik. I also got an early Guy Clark album Texas Cookin' which coincidently is what I'm doing today! $20 for both, not bad in these crazy days of vinyl insanity.

Stu02, dzhason and Lonson like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Isn't that great? I have five or six Paul Chambers albums and that one is my favorite and Music Matters did a super job as usual.

dzhason likes this.
  16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Stan Getz, Captain Marvel, really digging this album with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Tony Williams and Airto. Breezy and light-feeling music played by heavy hitters.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

WKCR-FM out of Columbia University, the show was and still is hosted by Phil Shapp, who - though he talks too much - is a brilliant jazz announcer. He has devoted a lifetime to broadcasting jazz specials that no other station ever has. I say that as someone who has broadcast single artist specials for over 40 years myself, but I don't get the extended hours that Phil has.

dzhason likes this.
  18. Richard Rowland

Richard Rowland Well-Known Member

Tonights listen - Blues & Roots - Charles Mingus ( Atlantic Mono Vinyl reissue )

dzhason and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. Lonson

Yes a cool cover if you are familiar with late Jobim records. :) The music is very good, I love these songs when almost anyone does them, but Rosa Passos. . . she's a maestro.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Most antique stores that have vinyl in the Northeast USA sell it for $1 to $2 per disc, Sometimes, they put select titles, like a scratched up Beatles LP, up for more. It is very uncommon to see an antique shop that sells LPs at more than $5. The LPs in such shops are usually acquired by the dealers in "estate cleanouts", where the dealer removes everything from a house to help the family get ready for a sale of the house. Houses still often have at least 100 LPs, sometimes many more. However, once in a while you will see an antique shop that puts out a Bing Crosby 78RPM album of 4 records for $20. It sits there until the shop closes down.

Move to the Northeast. It will be a paradise when you arrive!

dzhason likes this.
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Meet Oliver Nelson (New Jazz) stereo OJC lp
    Based on the patina of the back cover I think this is one of the early OJC reissues and it's in remarkable shape for a record almost forty years old. Outside of the patina on the back it's nm and so is the record. The surface is dead quiet.
    There are some originals and a few ballads you've heard before (Passion Flower and What's New?). Ollie's tone is so sweet and pure and he's playing tenor here not alto. I'm glad I grabbed this one. My instinct was correct.

dzhason likes this.
  22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Not out here in Californee-ay. A lot of them have heard that vinyl is selling so prices have gone up. Goodwills sell their crap for $2 and not $1 like everywhere else. I'm not claiming you can't find a place around here that might sell lower but I haven't seen a $1 record worth even holding in my hands for years now. Nobody is selling deep groove Blue Note lps on their stoop for $3 in this town and L.A. and the SF Bay Area are much worse.

Oh, and no way I'm moving to the east coast just to buy cheap records. My definition of paradise is a little different.

dzhason likes this.
  23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was about to say "wait a minute" on the age of the early OJCs but then I realized that I'm almost 40 too. :yikes:

Stu02 likes this.
  24. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I guess your definition includes, what was it, 100+ degree and 200% humidity heat spells lasting 2 months at a stretch. Ha, just teasing. I could deal with a little less cold weather and I wouldn't be offended if one of them medical dispensaries opened up around here.

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Horace Parlan - Headin' South (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

I love how on Low Down he plays this one quick legato lick continuously for at least an entire chorus.