Strange Days - The Doors 2nd album, 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lovemygirl, Jan 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Oh, they'll probably throw in a couple tracks from Matrix as bonus material.....thus insuring the complete Matrix will be delayed yet again for another year or two.

Hope they prove me wrong and the set looks like this:

Disc 1: Stereo & Mono mixes
    Disc 2: Best available studio outtakes (Didn't they recently purchase a few reels filled with Strange Days studio sessions? Well, now would be a good time to issue some of them).

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Good lord. Are you guys ever happy?

btltez, lovemygirl and No Bull like this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I like what I've heard of the singles 2CD so far.

ODShowtime and lovemygirl like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

We want the world and we want it

now. :)

6. Ok Pats, tell me what was good about that particular set.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That would make too much sense.

lovemygirl and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Us unedumacated don't understand the music business. It's pretty simple, really. Kind of like going to the zoo...You get to see the animals, but you get to smell the **** firsthand.

This can be done right if the stereo/mono are put on the first disc, and non Matrix/unreleased material is on the 2nd disc. These outtakes were on reels auctioned a few years ago.
    Tuesday April 4, 1967
    People Are Strange

Tuesday April 25, 1967
    Moonlight Drive
    When The Music's Over

Wednesday April 26, 1967
    Strange Days

I do recall reading elsewhere that there is a version of WTMO with Jim blowing harp. If that's what this is, and these tracks have vocals, then, yeah, put them out..as long as they are good. as much as I love outtakes, they can be a little pointless. (the only exception to this is 69-75 Black Sabbath!)

The best we can hope for is a live show of something most of us have not heard. And even it is something heard, but only out there in flac, etc., then I'd be ok with it. I'm hoping for one of those live shows that are eligible to be set free in Europe. Of course, we'll hear something along the lines (not this elaborate) that the tape had to be bought, licensing fees for each track, baking the tape(s), transferring the audio, cleaning up the audio, getting permission from the estates, pressing the cd(s), packaging, shipping, gas used to go to a brick and mortar, buying the monk lunch, etc...

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'd be thrilled with an instrumental version of the album. Stereo/Mono/Matrix/instrumental would be better than what's actually coming.

lovemygirl likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, the new set is called 'Expanded Edition', so we better hope this is the exact material here.

11. That isn't a terrible idea.

lovemygirl and rnranimal like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Not including vinyl is a positive development. I hope it does include the speculted expanded edition contents as above. I think they smartened up enough to not include any Matrix bonus tracks, and will finally issue a complete Matrix box in the future.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Cd2 2 wil be a sampler of the March 10th Matrix Tapes, this time only tracks from SD

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I certainly am. Off the top my head I was and am happy with:
    - BMA releases - I love them, even with their flaws
    - 40th anniversary sets
    - hi-res downloads of Other Voices and Full Circle
    - Feast Of Friends/Doors Are Open Blu-Ray
    - LA Woman 40th vinyl (even if the LA Woman box fiasco was a disgrace)
    - LA Woman documentary Blu-Ray
    - When You're Strange Blu-Ray

There is nothing in the debut 50th set to get excited about for anyone who has been a fan for more than five minutes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  15. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

It had the MONO MIX, giving it its world debut on CD and making it available for the first time in the US in any lossless digital format. Other flaws aside, that was good. And really, that's all I personally want from the Strange Days set, for myself. (With good mastering, of course!)

Simon A and Sidewinder43 like this.
  16. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

I still have all of these in the 40th 12 disc.

I don't really love every single change of the 40th remixes, but gotdamn do they sound absolutely amazing.

17. But they might as well have just released the mono version as a stand-alone CD. Why make you - and me - buy a box set for just that material?

Matthew Tate and Six Bachelors like this.
  18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Disc 1: Mono/Stereo 2-fer cd
    Disc 2: Sessions, outtakes (2007 perception box), plus unreleased stuff
    Disc 3: Live versions of songs from Strange Days...comb the vaults thoroughly!!!!
    Disc 4: Blue ray w/hi-res versions --->flat transfers of mono and stereo mixes, plus a 5.1 mix
    Disc 5-6: 2 LP set w/stereo and mono mixes...vinyl mastered from analog sources

andrewskyDE and lovemygirl like this.
  19. lovemygirl

lovemygirl Forum Resident Thread Starter

20. lovemygirl

CLASSIC TRACKS: The Doors 'Strange Days' |

...a lot of info about recording studio and such for the Doors - 'Strange Days' album ... :)

...now that I think about it, kinda helps show how there could be many differences and possibilities in single releases at that time or another depending on what resources were available or not...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  21. lovemygirl

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  22. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Thanks for the research and insight. Keep it up!

lovemygirl likes this.
  23. lovemygirl

24. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

https://www.thedoors.com/news/the-doors-strange-days-50th-anniversary-deluxe-edition
    STRANGE DAYS (50TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION) was produced by the album’s original engineer Bruce Botnick. It includes the original stereo mix of the album on CD for the first time in a decade, with sound that’s been remastered for the first time in 30 years. The second disc features the album’s original mono mix, which has been remastered for this set and is making its CD debut

25. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

15.98 list for the cd,

For the album’s 50th anniversary, Rhino will release STRANGE DAYS (50THANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION). This double-CD features stereo and original mono mixes and will be available on November 17 for a list price of $15.98. The music will also be available via download and streaming services. At the same time, the original mono mix of Strange Days will be released on vinyl for a list price of $21.98.

Bubba Zanetti, stereoptic and dcscott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.