At last! The STEELY DAN Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ohnothimagen, Sep 8, 2017.

1. So if my own US pressing is AA-1006, this other one AB-1006 will slay it?

2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And Side One is their saxophone side... ;)

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  3. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

John Bonham must have really liked that drum lick on Home At Last.

4. Jason Pumphrey

The learn to work the saxophone side!:righton:
    Also the the alcoholic drink side as well!:D

gregorya likes this.
  5. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

You are a damn fool and I will fight you!!! :D

Monosterio likes this.
  6. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!" Thread Starter

Aja reminds me of The Nightfly in that the piano/keyboard based songs are on side one while side two is the 'guitar' side (or at least features more guitar playing).

Ginger Ale and gregorya like this.
  7. Was that the inspiration behind the drum beat from Led Zeppelin's Fool In The Rain?

8. Jason Pumphrey

Not exactly sure but John Bonham pretty much plays it note for note.

sunspot42 likes this.
  9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

On the contrary, this is their best record.

Dan Steely likes this.
  10. Jason Pumphrey

Read somewhere that Denny Dias became a computer programmer, guess playing the six string didn't quite pay bills...

The Skunk went a similar route as well.

11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps Dias is trying to build a better WENDEL...

I guess Steely Dan attracted the brainy guitarist-types.... ;)

Jason Pumphrey likes this.
  12. Jason Pumphrey

Brainy musicians in general, that's what made the Dan superb!

Nightfly68 likes this.
  13. Jason Pumphrey

Could you imagine had they used a drummer like Neil Peart on the song Aja?, the drum fills would have been wall to wall!:D

Gadd was the perfect choice, although the late Tony Williams might have made great too, loved his style of skinmanship.:righton:

14. ohnothimagen

An oldie but a goodie...my kid when he was maybe two, checking out the artwork:
    [​IMG]

jdrueke, Bern, Nightfly68 and 2 others like this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

Child has a good taste of funked up music!
    Don't let him teeth on it though!

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Nice insights - here are a few comments.

Black Cow is about a stunning woman and a male friend who isn't quite in her league - who would really like to be more than just a friend. He consoles her, is supportive as she is consumed with other relationships that she is involved in. Self centered, she talks on and on - he - wanting to be closer - plays the role of a girlfriend - is her supportive shoulder to cry on. He gives her plenty of advice but she falls back into bad habits - which lead further into bad relationships - he sees her out from afar - or might have even been stalking her with another guy. He confronts her in the diner about it - "I saw you in Rudy's, You were very high, you were high - it was a crying disgrace" They are close but purely platonic. "On the counter by your keys - is a book of numbers and your remedies" - she has plenty of pills to smooth out the mess of her life, a series of one night stands. The numbers - drug dealers and caustic date phone numbers - Finally after one too many long diatribes, and seeing it will never go anywhere between the two of them, he has finally had enough and cuts it off with her.

Aja - is also my favorite Dan tune
    I'll chime in later

I don't think you understand what the meaning of the term "jumping the shark" is.
    When a plot is losing it's momentum and popularity - the writers inject something so ridiculous to prop up ratings.
    In Happy Days Fonzie went waterskiing and "jumped the shark"
    That doesn't apply to our dear Aja

Home at Last - the Odyssey Greek tragedy / modern LA/NY scenario
    This applied to Don and Walt's lives much like Woody Allen would go nauseous while in the sunlight of LA (Annie Hall)
    "Smooth retsina" is hilarious. This is a Greek wine made with pine needles - it is anything but smooth.

I got the News - Yes the song is pure sexual lust
    "Spanish kissing, see it glisten" refers to an aroused clitoris.
    I always thought it was the outro to the Classic Albums because they didn't want to talk about it's seediness.

I don't think they had any idea how big the album would be when they released it

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    Gardo and DavidD like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What scotch whiskey was it ?

bzfgt likes this.
  18. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Those credits seem scrambled. The credits I know about are:

ART DIRECTION: Oz Studios
    DESIGNED BY: Patricia Mitsui and Geoff Westen
    COVER PHOTO: Hideki Fujii
    PHOTOS OF DONALD FAGEN AND WALTER BECKER: Walter Becker, Dorothy A. White

Reissue coordination: Beth Stempel

Reissue Art Direction: Vartan
    Reissue Design: Mike Diehl

Cheers,
    Pauk

Nightfly68 likes this.
  19. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Wayne Shorter did Aja in two takes
    I think they were gaga on take one.

I don't recall reading that either one of them was apprehensive about working with the other.

Wayne was in high demand, doing Weather Report and was friends with Joni so I am sure he knew full well Don and Walt's esteem for him and meticulous recording.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  20. ohnothimagen

Good interpretation; I like it. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that that kind of scenario is something a lot of guys have been through, platonic relationship or not (I know I have) As a matter of fact though I won't bore any of you with the details it's kind of applicable where the girl who first played me the album is involved...a couple of other old flames of mine as well, now that I think on it...
    Oh, I understand the origins of jumping the shark- I meant it in it's more generic, shorthand context of "it's all downhill from here"...what the hell do you do after Aja? When you get right down to it the ramifications caused Steely Dan to split up for over a decade.
    I don't either...and on the one hand you can't help but think "Maybe they should have had an idea- they had to have known that they were creating something special there." But, no, you sorta get the idea that Becker and Fagen weren't really equipped to deal with Aja's success, or how to top it or even match it.
    :p It's subtle, but you can't help but wonder how they got away with some of those lines:laugh:
    Good point...

audiotom likes this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

DavidD likes this.
  22. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

audiotom likes this.
  23. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I know I'm stupidly late to this discussion, but life has a way of hijacking good intentions. I gave up on the Dan when I heard Aja, and slammed the coffin lid and pounded the nails in with Gaucho. For my listening pleasure, they went way off script. YMMV. During the mid 70s my roommate and I were in a few bands together and he and I were the principal writers, and Fagen and Becker were right up there on our list of heroes. I've moved on the ensuing years to other forms of music and didn't really go back to the first five Dan offerings much, if at all. I did go see them with a friend in one of the first of the 90s reunion tours, but it didn't move me much and didn't inspire me to go back to the old stuff, either.

That said, when this thread popped up, I decided to go back and reinvestigate it. Playing Can't Buy A thrill reminded me of how I first discovered them. I was working in a record store and the manager played Do It Again ad nauseum, and always took the LP off right after it. One day, he got called away while it was playing and none of us bothered to pick up the needle. I was stunned. I loved what I heard and flipped it over when the side was done. Countdown to Ecstasy knocked me out, too. I joined a band for a few weeks that did Night By Night, and then spent a lot of time with my bass playing, writing roommate with Katy Lied and Royal Scam. I'm really enjoying going back through their early catalog, but I'm not rushing to stay on top of the thread topics, obviously. (I'm only up to page 62 at the moment.)

I realized I remembered more of Katy Lied than Royal Scam and that and Countdown are pretty much my favorites still. I know everyone (or most everyone) thinks Aja is a manifestation of genius, but I thought at the time it was the result of too much time in the studio, too much heroin and no live band work. And Gaucho went further down that rabbit hole. So, thanks to @ohnothimagen for this thread which enticed me back into the rich writings of these two endearingly twisted guys and the musical whiz kids who aided and abetted them in the creation of all this music.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Malt?

25. ohnothimagen

Hey, yer welcome, and I'm sure yer not the only one rediscovering this music via this discussion.Hell, even I'm doing it, even though I listen to Steely Dan on a fairly regular basis, except this discussion has caused me to actually sit down and listen to the albums as we go along as opposed to just listening to them (background noise etc). Analyzing the songs- which I thought I'd done enough with their music over the years, but I freely admit I'm still learning new things! It's been fun, and probably a bit of an education for us all.

And we're not even halfway done yet...

Gardo and rufus t firefly like this.