Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

Anyone have a problem-free WYWH Immersion Blu-ray disc that I could buy? Finally picked up the set (mfg in the EU) and it's got the clicking on the 5.1 mix.

I understand EMI or Amazon sent out replacement discs, but at this point that ship has sailed. Hoping someone here's got one...

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is the clicking on all parts of the Blu-ray (5.1 and 4.0 mix etc.)? I never noticed it on my WYWH Blu-ray on the 5.1 and 4.0 mixes.

3. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

There are 3 spots near the end of the album. It's not a huge deal- but it'd be nice to have a disc that's 100%, knowing that there was a reissue program because of the dreaded clicks.

There's a 25-page thread here - I recommend working your way backwards.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  4. I knew there were some folks who had issues with DSOTM Blu-ray but I didn't know WYWH BR was in the same boat?

5. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

The DSOTM issue is that the Blu-ray discs have just stopped working completely, and that the packaging was awful so that discs were floating around in the box and got badly scratched. Was there more?

WYWH packaging wasn't much better, but the clicking thing was a manufacturing defect for which EMI sent out replacement discs.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. Understood. Do you know offhand when (what song, time) the clicking is apperent? Only 5.1 or stereo too?

7. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

AFAIK, it's only the 5.1 mix on the Blu-Ray. Clicks are at 41:48, 43:54 and 44:10. Totally minor first world problems, but they went to the trouble of a repress so I figured I'd try to get a good copy.

Bonddm and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I bought the EU WYWH box when it came out and the 5.1 mix of early discs was affected by clicking towards the end of SOYCD. The disc was replaced by Amazon within a few weeks so I have two Blu Rays in my box now. The quad and stereo mixes on the BD, and the DTS / Dolby Digital mixes on the DVDs were unaffected.

9. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

It sounds like Amazon was really good about it, sending out replacements whether or not people had disc problems. Some people here said they've got 2 good blu-rays as a result. I'm hoping to find one of those and buy one.

10. rob1960

rob1960 New Member

11. Sevoflurane

Once the disc has failed it is irretrievable. The only advice I can offer is to rip a working disc as FLAC files. If you have a backup you can at least burn a replacement disc.

12. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

All very well, but the day I discovered my DSOTM Blu-ray would no longer play my only option was to buy another box set, I had no back up, I had never done a back up of any Blu-ray in my collection. I would think that all those who bought the DSOTM Immersion box never expected Blu-ray disc failure so very few would have done back ups. Anyhow, to back up a Blu-ray is it not better to rip to MKV rather than FLAC..

13. rob1960

rob1960 New Member

I in fact expected the disc to be irretrievable, only had a dim hope to be mistaken. Thanks

14. Sevoflurane

I guess it depends what you want when you back up. I keep a folder of high res rips and multichannel rips from Blu Ray / DVD Audio discs containing FLAC files which I have maintained for years. While I didn't initially have a way of playing the 5.1 files when my BD failed I was able buy a BD burner and use them to burn a new BD with the music on. I wasn't expecting my Immersion disc to fail either and it was fortunate coincidence rather than planning that I had at least got the stereo and 5.1 music backed up in FLAC form. The unexpected benefit of doing this is that I can now play all of my surround music. My current surround system doesn't play DVDA (my Oppo player is in a stereo system at the moment), so I have been able to use my rips to make BDRs with surround mixes from the few DVDAs I have, as well as the Meddle 5.1 mix hidden in the Early Years box set.

Edit: Yes, it would have been cheaper to buy a new Immersion box...

15. rob1960

rob1960 New Member

Brilliant, thanks. I thus assume there is no unbreakable block on the disc preventing any backup/copy. Did you use any specific package to back your bluray audio up?

16. rob1960

rob1960 New Member

and by the way the only reason I want to back my blu-ray up (were I to buy a new immersion boxset) is to avoid anther unnecessary (and expensive) repurchase of the whole boxset just for the sake of the blu-ray disc. I already bought two of them and 'd be keen to stop this loop with a 3rd and final purchase

17. Sevoflurane

MakeMKV followed by Audiomuxer has worked for all of the Floyd Blu Rays thus far.

JonUrban and Deek57 like this.
  18. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Update: tried to listen to the quad mix tonight and guess what? The disc wouldn’t play the audio streams anymore. I can still watch the videos, but the three audio streams are gone (5.1, 4.0 and stereo HD). The last time I checked was a few months ago and it played fine. I’ve never updated the firmware of my player.

Then, I tried to rip the disc with an external pioneer Blu-ray drive and nothing, no way to read the disc.

I can’t notice anything strange on the disc surface, it looks like new.

Bad news...

19. Sevoflurane

Unfortunately, that seems to be the pattern. No sign of external damage and a disc that eventually fails to be recognised by any disc player. While I can understand Amazon saying they won’t replace something that failed after 6+ years, I rather expected the £90 I paid on a premium box set to result in something that would last longer. My first ever CD still plays and that’s over 30 years old; vinyl doesn’t degrade overnight like that...

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Not good, time I checked the second copy I bought late last year after the one I bought in 2011 failed. I have made a back up but it is only a single file, but hey it's Dark Side, I only ever play it start to finish..
    EDIT.....Muthaclukas...My replacement no longer plays expletive, expletive, expletive, two of the expletives... This is not on.. I'm going to contact BBC Watchdog (only kidding), something needs to be done... Two copies failed rant rant rant, all that ******* money.... Man am I unhappy...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  21. Sevoflurane

That is very bad luck indeed. If I ever get another copy i’m ripping the whole BD as an ISO so I can burn a complete new copy. Is there video content exclusive to the BD or is it duplicated on the DVDs? Can’t remember.

22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I really wanted to have the 5.1 and QUAD mixes of Darkside but this issue put me on to the SACD instead of the Immersion box set when it was time to choose. I feel bad for all who are affected.

Because of the hidden Meddle 5.1, I ripped the entire Early Years box set. Now I mostly play it from a flash drive instead of messing with the box and all the discs. I would be angry if one of those discs failed though. I made sure to request the free replacements just in case.

23. Sevoflurane

It’s kind of depressing that the home made bootleg DVDA of the Parsons quad mix that was widely circulated in 2003 ish still plays whereas the legitimate release has died.

PhantomStranger and Deek57 like this.
  24. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Exclusive to the BD is the twenty min easter egg of the Roger the (give 'em a short sharp shock) Hat interview.. which is both funny and sad to hear.

25. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I've just re-read the thread... Am I right assuming that the only safe purchase would be an American/Canadian box set? Have there been any reported issues with the Blu-ray disc of the American release?