How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

You don't need a second hand deck, there's CDs and vinyls to accommodate you, forget the remedial media.

2. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

As much as I am desperately nostalgic for the simpler times of my child days, and would love to put my hands back again on my favorite 90s mixtapes, there's absolutely no way I'm using cassettes "seriously" again.

I mean, I could buy a cassette deck and a couple of tapes for messing around, but it wouldn't last longer than an afternoon.

3. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I put vinyls in for a laugh btw.

lesterbangs and mikedifr0923 like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They were the least collectible music format ever. The lack of artwork, lyrics and sleeve notes on pre-recorded tapes irritated me every time. Horrible value for money. Their only advantage was they hardly took up any space.

5. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

geeze, no love for the tape. Oh well more for me.

Jaffboy151, Shak Cohen and theshape like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Exactly. I did love doing mix tapes and all, but cassettes are a sonic nightmare, all things being equal.

No thanks.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I think it would be sort of clever and funny if a cassette box set came with an exclusive pencil - complete with art on its shell complementary to the cover art - in the event of a respooling need.

8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And you could play them in the car without worry of skipping!

Hardly a reason today to keep it going. That said, I wish artists would record more on analogue tape!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

But when you were driving you couldn't salvage them as the player chewed them up...

Which happened frequently as I recall.

Chemguy likes this.
  10. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

As someone who grew up in the 80s and 90s.... WTF?!?!?

[​IMG]

Desolation Row, zebop and eric777 like this.
  11. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Exactly. And I hadn't either until I got my deck. I didn't even know it was possible that cassettes could sound so hi-fi. Sometimes I suspect that the internal ZX-9 circuitry might be making some overdubs sound even better than the records themselves. They made some truly fantastic gear back then.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I see no benefit in going back to cassettes. If I want an analog recording, I will by the LP.

SammyJoe, Nostaljack and Michael like this.
  13. DrStroganoff

DrStroganoff Forum Resident

I collect both vinyl & cassettes, and love each format for different reasons. Vinyl for the SQ, big artwork etc... But as an 80's child, the cassette will always have a special place in my heart.
    I run a DIY cassette label, they are great for small bands as they are very cheap to produce and a good seller at gigs. I've also had the privilege of working with a few of my favorite artists by approaching them with the idea of putting a tape out.
    While they'll never match the sound quality of vinyl, there'll always be room for tapes on my shelf. :)

ispace, SammyJoe, DougP and 2 others like this.
  14. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

After losing four Naks to theft I pretty much gave up. A fiend gave me a technics but it chewed up to much. Still have a boatload of tapes that I will probably never listen to again with the wifey wanting to discard them....

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no thanks I've moved on to better formats....

SammyJoe, Nostaljack and eric777 like this.
  16. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Send them my way? I'll pay for shipping.

footlooseman likes this.
  17. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

There was a short time time I bought tapes. When I didn't have a cd player and Kmart and Wal-Mart didn't sell records anymore. This would have been around 6 or 7th grade and lasted until Xmas in 8th grade. I did buy a lot of blanks to copy stuff.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nakamichi decks are a good bet if you can find them for a song.

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've got 8 cassette decks and all sound very good to amazing with quality tape recorded properly.

20. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I clearly don't care about it (spelling Nak...whatever correctly) - hence the spelling error I didn't bother to check for. Sorry.

Being the best "cassette deck maker". That's kinda like being really good at making fruit cake. Oh well. I digress...

If you like them, enjoy. They aren't my thing. Far be it for me to dictate how people have fun. I'm tickled in all ways pink that this thread continues to be rehashed over and over again. Sadder still, I keep biting. What is wrong with me? LOL!!!

Ed

Use_Your_Koala and mbrownp1 like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just recently got a BX300.
    Supposed to be not eye catching as a Dragon. Price a hellava lot cheaper.

Shak Cohen and GuildX700 like this.
  22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

if someone came out with a well made new cassette deck for less than $500 I might be tempted to buy one but I'm not sure whether or not shortly thereafter I would regret the decision.

23. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

To all the naysayers: You mean you don't want your music delivered to you through such a superb mechanism?????

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My direct drive ones are fantastic, thank Q.

25. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I've still got my Sony Walkman , and if a new album I like is released on cassette, I usually buy it and enjoy listening to it. Of course it doesn't sound as good as vinyl or cd, but it sounds different and that difference is often fun in a nostalgic way. I always buy the LP and usually the cd as well, but I do get a certain enjoyment from buying and playing new cassettes, and wish more new albums would get a cassette release.

Jaffboy151 and DHamilton like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.