How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

This has been rehashed far too many times.

Sadly so and to the point of some pretty hateful posts.

:( :blah: :blah: :crazy: :blah: :blah: :(

If you hate a format, fine, and certainly there are valid reasons to hate whichever one you dislike, especially if you are not savvy to using tapes properly and never had a state of the art tape deck, or vinyl set up properly, or CD, even FM radio for that matter.

I've heard some amazing as well as horrendous sound from each of those formats over the years.

Fact is there are strong reasons to hate vinyl as well as CD, so there you go, pick your poison and set up your system to do best for the format you prefer.

News flash just in.....in the end no formats are perfect, and that's the reason I have a few of each with great vinyl setups, great cassette/reel to reel tape setups and great CD, even FM set ups. Several of each actually, having different systems throughout my home I can experience each format on several very different stereo set ups, which really has opened my ears to the weaknesses and strengths of each format.

In the end it boils down to what shortcomings from a source format you can overlook the easiest.

But please don't trash any of the formats, especially if you've never heard them in a system with their best, state of the art equipment in proper use.

In the end it's all about the music, the reproduction components don't mean squat, so forget being a name dropper of audio components, you don't impress anyone with what you own and use. Instead try to impress folks with the quality source music you listen to. :righton: :cool::agree::agree::agree::cool: :righton:

mr.dave, Shak Cohen, qwerty and 3 others like this.
  2. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

I never hashed my cassettes. So it's not possible to rehash them.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Cassettes are today's new vinyl.
    Not quite, but ya get my gist.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'll probably just stick with Red Book CDs, but I'm glad cassettes are working for you. I had so many great times with them.

Dynamic Ranger likes this.
  5. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Being the pitiful hoarder that I am, I still have almost every cassette I ever owned, hundreds and hundreds of them, going back at least 45 years or so. I have a couple of decent cassette decks, and enjoy listening to tapes occasionally. The quality of some of the mix tapes I made over the years really surprises me sometimes. A true pleasure to listen to. Just yesterday, I was compiling a list (in my head) of "overlooked '70s soft rock gems", and the only format I could envision of making that compilation was a cassette.

Shak Cohen and zebop like this.
  6. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

First Metallica puts a gutter trash cassette in their MoP box set, and now this?

Do these hipsters know no bounds?
    Absolutely ridiculous.

7. muckyfingers

muckyfingers Forum Resident

LP's are selling so well, why anyone would go back to cassettes is beyond my understanding.

Nostaljack likes this.
  8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Z'EV is just one guy. He performed improvisational noise/percussion performance art. The times that I saw him he thrashed around empty plastic bottles, tin cans and other brikabrak that was all strung together. From the photos that I Googled, it looks like he expanded his "thing" in later years to include electronics, gongs and other more structured percussion instruments.

I don't think there ever was - or could be - an audience for his recordings. They'll probably be stuck with 45 copies of that box set on their shelves. :laugh:

But it was fun and theatrical in a small club environment. He kind of took over... the stage was way too small.

[​IMG]

Mateo Sanboval and DHamilton like this.
  9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I should just add that I remember Z'EV as being a very approachable and likeable guy. I didn't have to interact with him much... he didn't need a soundcheck. :laugh: But I looked forward to his return visits to the club.

10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

We do enjoy repeating ourselves.

I see the pencil meme was already cut-and-pasted. A few times.
    Hipsters were mentioned.
    The same forum members came in to inform us about their Nakamichi decks, in case we've forgotten.
    A few people pointed out that this isn't a new thing, to no avail.

They've seen it. You can find their posts in all the previous threads, saying the exact same thing.

My theory: Anterograde amnesia - Wikipedia

GetHappy!!, Nostaljack and Synthfreek like this.
  11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I really miss using my Tascam 4 track cassette deck for song composition. I have all the digital gadgets that sound much better but it's not the same. Navigating around menus when I'm trying to think of what to play just doesn't work well for me.
    If anyone knows where I could buy a hundred 90 minute TDK-SAs or Maxell XLIIs at a decent price, let me know. How foolish I didn't stock up.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  12. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I saw a few cassettes for sale at Urban Outfitters, and they were pretty expensive as well!

13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

My folks did the "you have a house now, so here's boxes and boxes of your stuff that was still at ours" thing. Several of those boxes were cassettes, and I also ended up with an old boombox and my old 4-track. Between all of that and buying a couple used cassettes in the last few years, I've come to a few conclusions:

1. Inherently wasteful/faulty medium. I'd pop one in to play, and it starts pitch slipping, or the cassette mechanism itself is making all manner of noises (squeaks, clicks, whines). The head pad thing would fall off a bunch of them. I even had a sealed Elvis Costello cassette from the '80s that I decided to play. First spin, the tape stretched and got pitchy, then broke.

2. I was depressed to realize all those 4-track recordings that my band made in high school actually sound like garbage. Real talk: even the lowest of LoFi Garageband recordings spoil you when you go back to recordings made on cassette. Oof.

3. Some stuff still sounds good - mixtapes I made back then that survived, particularly. But, I don't have a car deck, and there's no need to keep returning to those cassettes. Just not practical.

I've still got some involvement with making new music and am buds with independent label folks. I see cassette releases being a thing, and yes, to me it seems like needlessly contrarian/impractical hipsterdom, even if it's from people I like and respect. I don't get it. Yeah, it's thrilling to have a product in hand, but unless you keep a dedicated player up and running (maybe you do, I don't know), I'll bet you a TDK D90 that you're not really going to return to that cassette on any regular basis.

14. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

I've got a Nakamichi 1.5 gathering dust under the CD player but I can't see me getting back into cassettes.

15. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Members should probably check with you first before posting...anything. Remember guys, before posting, send a quick message to "Sid Hartha," (the official arbiter of what should be and shouldn't be posted on another man's forum) to check and see if you should post what you were planning on posting. This includes your own thoughts and opinions. Thanks!

16s and mikedifr0923 like this.
  16. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

There are three forms of music-45's-LP's-Cassettes!!

DrStroganoff and zebop like this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Or they could just observe the forum rules, spend an extra ten seconds of their time and do a simple search. Too hard?

Search Results for Query: cassette | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

Presto! 300 topics. Spend another ten seconds and find one that matches your intended topic precisely.

Or just keep repeating yourself. That seems to be your strong suit.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Hey, "Sid Hartha," the topic of this thread isn't "cassette." It is a subtopic of cassette, namely how many are for "rehashing" cassette as clearly defined in the OP. It's amusing that I don't see you protesting the thousands of threads made here about the Beatles. But you do show up in a cassette thread. Interesting, that.

Again, I can't stress enough how important it is for members to check with you first before sharing anything, including your own personal experiences and opinions or thoughts. They absolutely, positively, can NOT be repeated here more than once. Right Sid?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  19. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Rules are meant to be broken, just like the Beatles recording a double-length single like "Hey Jude."

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I wish Quad 8-tracks would make a comeback now that I have a Quad receiver.

21. Dynamic Ranger

Dynamic Ranger Forum Resident

They might sound like crap, and they might be outdated. But they're still better than streaming and downloads any day. I still use cassettes to record talk shows, and to listen to old mix tapes my dad made for me years ago. When it comes to anything sentimental, such as music or childhood memories. It's physical formats all the way!

22. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

I 've been listening to Pat Metheny's American Garage On my stock cassette player in my truck. I like it for what it is......just don't ask me to fast forward or rewind to find a certain song for you please!:D

23. I would definitely buy new cassettes if reasonably priced. Plenty of us still have vehicles that have cassette players. I'm not going to spend the money to install a cd player in my truck as long as the cassette player still works.

24. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

I disagree totally.

Ed

25. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

CDs have the least drawbacks for me.

Martyn and Dynamic Ranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.