David Bowie A New Career In A New Town 1977 1982 Boxset 3

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

What can Amazon do about the volume drop besides remove the set from sale if they have enough complaints? Although I suppose that could spur Rhino/Parlophone to action.

By the way, everyone complaining to Parlophone, start thinking of this as a Rhino product instead ... try emailing Dr. Rhino instead at drrhino@rhino .com, or use the web form at Website feedback | Rhino .

Edit: Posted before I saw that @jimhb posted the same thing!

CBackley, liv3evil and jimhb like this.
  2. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Most people seem pleased with it. I found it rather fatiguing. I didn't get through it all or really listen too deeply because of that.

dead of night and OldSoul like this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Just based on some song comparisons to the '99s (via MP3 fwiw), I came to the same conclusion. There's not a single album in this set that bests the '99s, for me (and I've found all the remasters so far improvements on that series). Guess I'll have to needledrop my "Heroes" and Scary Monsters LPs eventually.
    The real problem with the '99s for me is the processed sound. Otherwise, they're not that bad. Basically just digital sounding versions of the RCA's, based on the comparisons I've done on here.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  4. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

And I think it's worth complaining about the truncated start to "Red Sails" (original mix), too...

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  5. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Was the PDF of the book included for those who bought the hi res version?

6. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I have not had a chance to listen through the entire box set yet but do not want to miss out on possible action from amazon. Can someone please list the errors to be on the lookout for in one concise place?
    Pretty please?

7. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

In my experience, if discs are to be repressed then it's easier to hang onto your defective set and accept whatever partial refund is offered.
    Then just email Parlophone / Rhino with proof of purchase and get your replacements from them.

Returning the set for a full refund, then rebuying a supposedly correct one a few weeks or months later just doesn't work.
    I did that with Grace Jones Disco Box and the Cherry Red Creation Artifact set. In both cases I waited for more than a year and still received defective sets the second time around.

8. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

The box from hell

9. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

What is sq on stage viny?

10. Be sure someone will and they are also listed thought the past twenty pages or so.

But it would be interesting if everyone actually noticed problems all by themselves rather than mob scene reaction.

There were a few commenters who originally didn’t problems until they were directed there. I dont hear the Heroes drop on my first listen

yarbles likes this.
  11. Rob Jenkins

Rob Jenkins Forum Resident

I've just given my feedback to Amazon re: mastering issues. Really gutted about this as this is the 'classic Bowie' era that I know the least about, so I was looking forward to owning these albums. I love the packaging and the book is just great. Can't believe I'd never heard 'DJ' until this weekend :D His band were on fire at this point.

I clocked the Heroes volume drop on first listen without reading the comments on here. It jarred, but then I started thinking 'well, that must be how the original sounded'. I know it was recorded with microphones set up at a variety of distances from Bowie, but still...

Between this, a warped 'Time Fades Away' and the Gene Clark set that refuses to be shipped, I'm not having much luck with vinyl right now. (Off topic, but it's only typing this I have noticed the irony in calling the Gene Clark set 'The Lost Studio Sessions'. I am fortunate enough to be able to take these hits on the chin and write off the costs, but I can see why people get angry)

art likes this.
  12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

This is disingenuous and blatantly untrue regarding this thread. If you re-read the earliest posts, you will see that at least two of us who were posting early reactions were in such bad moods after immediate disappointment, we were no longer in the mood for listening to more of the wonderful David Bowie via this crappy release, and stopped listening after one or two discs, and resumed much later. Meanwhile others had since got their sets and discovered other issues and opinions from discs we hadn't yet played.

(I also missed the Heroes drop first time, but I took my 'phones off for most of the drop to get my iPad from where it fell :) )

Remember that none of this is the customer's fault, or any forum member's fault, or even Bing Crosby's fault.

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just emailed Dr. Rhino, so let's see what, if any, response I receive. Hopefully others will email him as well to get more traction to this issue and get it fixed.

e.s. likes this.
  14. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I listened to the Lodger Remix late on Friday night, very drunk and thought it was interesting... 3 days later and completely sober... it's bloody horrible :shake:

art and karmaman like this.
  15. BlueSpeedway

karmaman says it's a fadeup alteration, but it sounds exactly like a fragmentary cut / late start error, and shouldn't be there.

16. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Too late I already emailed Bing... ;)

Former Scientist and Beaneydave like this.
  17. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I'm really happy about 3 things.

I didn't buy any of the 3 boxes.

giantleech and SteveCooks like this.
  18. BlueSpeedway

He'd have probably made a better box set than these 2017 clots, if he was still around.

As would the surviving cast of Married With Children, or my neighbour's dog.

imarcq likes this.
  19. Actually I’m in agreement with most of what you say but a few folks are asking what to listen for.

I disliked some of the sounds too but hadn’t noticed Heroes after a few plays. And a couple of people I know who bought this set have posted how great it is on FB. They are not audiophiles nor have they heard of these issues.

Maybe sometimes ignorance is bless .

20. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

This thread has made me pull out my OG and early 80's represses of Scary Monsters, Lodger, Heroes and Low vinyl. They are still in excellent condition but would have loved to have upgraded them. You can't have everything.

21. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

My CD boxset is on the way from Amazon UK since Friday. Since then I'm reading all the complaints :cry:. So I'm gonna be stuck with my set of '99 remasters and this boxset. The worst boxset released so far is the one from my favourite era. Oh man.

And probably one of the most popular Belgian magazines will pay no attention to the errors and give this boxset a solid 5/5. We'll see tomorrow when it comes out.

I see it's been pulled from Amazon UK, but still available at Amazon DE/FR/ES... and other online stores.

22. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Bump, as I know this inquiry might get lost in this massive thread. I bought the CD box and would much rather read a digital PDF then the tiny-bound book.

If anything, at least maybe the written word surrounding this release might be informative and fun.

23. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Has someone compiled the list? Want to make sure I don’t miss anything in my note. Thanks.

xj32 likes this.
  24. LesMcQueen

LesMcQueen Forum Resident

What's the link between Rhino and this release? Are they an imprint of Parlophone?

25. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Other way around these days for catalogue stuff. If it's a back catalogue reissue from any of Warner Bros' labels, Rhino is handling it.

e.s. and TonyCzar like this.