Can MOFI sleeves damage the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oddyad, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Not necessarily, but they would be more affordable.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

What's the meaning of this outrage?! :laugh::sigh:

rebellovw likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

What you mean the initial one? :p

Chris Schoen likes this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I clean all new and used records on my Okki Nokki and then into a clean MFSL sleeve. No problems after years of use.

5. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

MoFi inner sleeves are for audiophools. :biglaugh:

Why else would people pay more for something unless they believe the Mofi advertorials. Even if you liked the Mofi inner sleeves in the way they crumple when you try to put them into LP sleeves, you could buy the same diskeeper inner sleeves. and you run the risk of the infamous cludy residue that only Mofi inner sleeves can provide.

U shaped poly sleeves or poly lined paper inners are effective and cheaper.

richbdd01 likes this.
  6. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

Even better, just do what EdogawaRampo does.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those U shaped poly sleeves are far worse than Mofi's to get into sleeves. They're far too thing and are always folding and creasing. I can just about get them in if I put them in the opening on the same side as the LP opening, which I don't like to do. I can't think of a worse sleeve to try and get into an LP sleeve.

Anyway, I have no idea why people get so upset at what other people decide to spend their money on that they have to result to idiotic and immature insults. Are they so insecure about themselves that the only way they can make themselves feel better is tell everyone how stupid they are? Some people really need to get a life. It's only an inner sleeve and it's use by others has zero impact on anyone else.

F1nut, McGuy, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  8. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I think you maybe using the US shaped inners incorrectly. I only use them when the LP has a cardboard lyric inner. You put the LP into the U shaped sleeve and pop it into the cardboard inner. You then slide the cardboard inner into the LP sleeve with the gap upwards , to keep the vinyl sung and safe - I have never had the US shaped inner poly inner fold or crease when inserting or removing.
    For LP's that only have the cheap paper sleeve - throw them away and use a polylined paper inner - preferably the ones with the corners cut - these allows for easy insertion and removal with the opening at the top of the LP, again so it has zero chance of falling out. try this with the mofi inners, half the time you need to fold over the corners yourself and they lack the strength/integrity of the polylined paper sleeves.

I don't get upset over folks using MOfi sleeves, just the opposite - I find it hilarious :D I have been called an audiophool many times - part of the territory. As you said yourself, they are only inner sleeves - so chilll :unhunh: does not mean I don't have a strong opinion against Mofi sleeves thou - Its important to get some facts out there as an alternative.

cheers

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I don't need to worry about cost...I buy the cheaper sleeve and then chuck talcum powder over the record so I've got essentially the same thing for less :edthumbs:

Turntable likes this.
  10. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Records that are packaged in MOFI sleeves at the pressing plant is a whole different situation than using fresh MOFI sleeves after cleaning records at home on an RCM. Records are frequently dirty & dusty at the plant, so any debris on them is being introduced into the sleeve when they are packaged... so of course they could get scratches in the MOFI sleeves.
    I'd recommend cleaning & then replacing every sleeve a record comes in.

Dan Steele likes this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Its caused by abrasion from the plastic material, you can differentiate between this and something caused by a dirty record imo...

Adrian Struve likes this.
  12. Adrian Struve

Adrian Struve Active Member

Mofi sleeves made hairline scratches om many of my expensive and rare vinyls, i found out too late that they can have sharp teeth-like spikes in the opening, tried many many batches and it seems they all are bad to me. Ive been using Vinyl styl inner sleeves lately, and it seems they dont have the sharp teeth-like opening as mofi sleeves got, vinyl stil sleeves are more firm and not as sloppy as the Mofi sleeves.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Said by Vinyl styl stakeholder most likely with this one post.

baconbadge likes this.
  14. Adrian Struve

Adrian Struve Active Member

Yeah you got me.. What can i say?

15. Ecjjr

Ecjjr Well-Known Member

I have used them for years. No problem if you use common sense and basic vinyl care techniques.

16. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

As most have said before, every album, new and used, gets cleaned and then into a Mofi sleeve it goes. I've been using them with EVERY single album for the past 3 years - ZERO issues. I do run a static brush over the album before play and often, not always, after play. Depends on how many drinks I've had that listening session. My albums also get an outer sleeve if they're brand new or something that has decent value. crappy half price books used albums don't get the outer sleeve, they don't deserve it! :)

17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

No problem with Mofi sleeves here

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes but they can leave wispy surface marks.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yes but sharp teeth-like spikes in the opening, residual cocaine powder from unscrupulous graveyard shift pressing plant zombies, plus they’re too crinkly and not U-shaped, audiophool something something, and Mofi is slang for a very offensive expression.

:nauga:

rebellovw likes this.
  20. Yes. If there is high humidity, those plastic inner sleeves can adhere to the records inside leaving a pattern of where they stuck to the record, which is then permanent.

21. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Yes, you are correct. Any sleeves can mark the vinyl if its dragged across the opening in my experience. I crack the sleeves open and then place the LP in there with the other hand.

22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

My fellow vinyl aficionados at their most disturbingly fussy, neurotic, and paranoid are like a viral marketing initiative promoting CDs and streaming.

23. All Down The Line

Yes but I was talking paper bag with no poly lining.

24. I really haven't had problem with marks on records which I could blame on a paper sleeve, but I sure have seen marks on records which originally were in poly-lined sleeves. Most LP's have a ridge around their outer circumference and raised label sections, which were intended for the record grooves NOT to rub on each other nor rub on a sleeve. However, those poly-lined sleeves are drawn to the record grooves because of static electricity and sliding a record in an out of them can create marks.

25. All Down The Line

Sure.
    You can buy a new sealed LP with a plain paper inner and open it to find plenty of marks.

zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.