Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Siki was huge between Detroit Toronto back in the 60s/70s. But black headliners were still rare although there were a few(Bobo Brazil, Ernie Ladd among others). Siki trained Christian and Edge.
    [​IMG]

2. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

His last name is Levy.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I'd say raven was underrated. I'm about to post a list

4. Matthew Tate

i've been watching a lot of old wrestling lately. my list on underrated wrestlers.

-sgt slaughter- was always able to bring out the best in whoever he worked with. carried lots of matches. as someone who was born in 1982 I don't remember him as a wrestler except for the tail end of his career so going back and watching him in his prime he was amazing

-ricky steamboat and rick rude- I grouped these two together because they might not be that underrated but they are just two guys who had a unique skill set back then. they were able to have great matches against heavyweights or cruiser weights, main eventers or mid card talent. any wrestler you wanted a great match with just insert one of these two. they had moves that worked with whatever style wrestler you wanted them to go against. the fact that almost any wrestling dvd i own that contains matches from 1983-1995 on it features at least 1 match with one of these guys says a lot about their talent. again I remember both of them as wrestlers but it was closer to the end of their in ring careers

-raven- he was mentioned earlier. I think he's underrated because most people think he was just a gimmick match guy. raven could really go.

-jake "the snake" roberts- not a great technical guy but he was always able to tell a great story in his matches

not two guys I just want to say something about
    -ric flair- not underrated at all but if you didn't start watching wrestling until 1998 or so you forget just how great he was

-jerry lawler- not a very technical guy. I'm just mentioning him because if you didn't know who he was before 1994 you would think he was a glorified jobber who spends most of his time as an announcer with a sick mind

Brenald79 likes this.
  5. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Most under rated? The Christmas Creature!

[​IMG]

Joking of course, he went on to bigger things!

Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

i mentioned earlier jerry the king lawlers dvd lacking in matches , well quality matches, f you don't own it here are the matches included and some info by me that I bolded

Empty Arena Match-decent brawl
    Jerry Lawler vs. Terry Funk
    Memphis Wrestling • April 25, 1981

Jerry Lawler vs. Andy Kaufman-this had to be here but its not a true match
    Memphis Wrestling • April 5, 1982

No Disqualification, Loser Leaves Town Match for the Southern Heavyweight Championship-good brawl. great feud between these two
    Jerry Lawler vs. “Superstar” Bill Dundee
    Memphis Wrestling • June 6, 1983

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert-ok but short match
    Pro-Wrestling USA • October 20, 1984

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig-silly that this is not the match where jerry wins the title from curt. why is that missing?
    AWA Championship Wrestling • March 12, 1988

AWA & WCCW Championship Unification Match-again silly this isn't the famous match where jerry wins the title
    Jerry Lawler vs. Kerry Von Erich
    World Class Championship Wrestling • September 24, 1988

Jerry Lawler vs. Jim Powers-short squash match
    RAW • April 5, 1993

Jerry Lawler vs. Owen Hart-good match. jerry was a huge fan of owen and the hart family
    Wrestling Challenge • July 25, 1993

Jerry Lawler vs. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper-terrible match as these 2 had no chemistry at all in the ring
    King of the Ring • June 19, 1994

Casket Match-good match
    Jerry Lawler vs. The Undertaker
    White Plains, NY • September 28, 1994

“Kiss My Foot Match”-silly match but this feud made jerry in the wwe but also helped cement him as somewhat of a fool in wwe
    Jerry Lawler vs. Bret Hart
    King of the Ring • June 25, 1995

Jerry Lawler vs. Al Jackson-short match with jerry doing the commentary as well
    Superstars • March 23, 1996

Jerry Lawler vs. Jake “The Snake” Roberts- short match but fun
    SummerSlam • August 18, 1996

Jerry Lawer & Rob Van Dam vs. The Headbangers-this is here due to jerry's involvement with rva and the ecw thing at the time
    Shotgun Saturday Night • June 14, 1997

Jerry Lawler vs. Tommy Dreamer-this is actually really good.
    ECW Hardcore Heaven • August 17, 1997

Jerry Lawler & Brian Christopher vs. Flash Funk & Scott Taylor-just a match to show off jerry and his son. not long after this brian and scott would be a tag team
    Shotgun Saturday Night • October 14, 1997

Jerry Lawler vs. Tazz-shame this isn't really a match
    SummerSlam • August 27, 2000

Legends Match-great match. these 2 still had it after all these years
    Jerry Lawler vs. Ric Flair
    RAW • November 29, 2004

TLC Match for the WWE Championship-this was jerry's only match ever for the wwe title. that's why its here. pretty good though
    The Miz vs. Jerry Lawler
    RAW • November 29, 2010

Jerry Lawler vs. Michael Cole-only here because its jerry's only match at a wrestlemania but its silly and really pointless
    Special Guest Referee: Stone Cold Steve Austin
    WrestleMania XXVII • April 3, 2011

so there is it. the blu ray I believe has 2 more matches. overall though not enough pre wwe matches to show how great he was and no idea why probably the 2 biggest pre wwe matches jerry had are missing in favor of other matches from those 2 feuds. rather have the matches where jerry wins the belts

7. Matthew Tate

figured i'd do this for jake roberts too with his dvd matches

w/Ricky Steamboat vs. Jim Nelson & Mike Miller, Mid-Atlantic - 09/09/81-short match but historical as you get to see him tag with steamboat. they would have a great feud in a few years

vs. Ronnie Garvin, World Television Championship Match, Georgia Championship - 12/03/83-great match.

vs. Leaping Lanny Poffo, MSG - 16/03/86-really a squash match sorta.

vs. Rickey Steamboat, Snake Pit Match, The Big Event - 28/08/86-great match. these 2 had a great feud. theres a few other matches from this feud on other wwe dvds

vs. Honky Tonk Man, Wrestlemania III - 29/03/87-good match. alice cooper is with jake

vs. Ravishing Rick Rude, Rude Awakening vs. DDT Match, MSG - 24/10/88-amazing match. these 2 had a great feud as well and rude always was a top worker

vs. Earthquake, Superstars - 27/04/91-not even really a match. kinda silly to put this on here.

After a match, Jake "The Snake" Roberts attacks Randy "Macho Man" Savage with a cobra - Superstars 23/11/91-squash match and then jake attacks savage. don't understand why they left off a match with macho man though. silly to show this but not show and matches from the feud

vs. Sting, Coal Miner's Glove Match, Halloween Havoc - 25/10/92-great match. think this is the only time they ever wrestled. the issue i have with this match though was there was a wheel that decided the gimmick and the coal miners glove was the worst option on the wheel. they had a great match though

vs. Dirty White Boy, Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Championship, Smoky Mountain Wrestling - 07/05/94-pretty good. was shocked they got smoky mountain footage

vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, King of the Ring Final - 23/06/96-great match. the birth of stone cold.

vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler, SummerSlam - 18/08/96-great to see these 2 go at it but not anything special

Run-in during Tommy Dreamer vs. Jerry "The King" Lawler - Hardcore Heaven 8/17/97 -jake just shows up in the match and causes a commotion

w/Tommy Dreamer vs. Justin Credible & Jack Victory, November 2 Remember - 01/11/98-jake does very little in this match. nice to see him in ecw though. its entertaining though

so there it is. unlike jerry lawler there are a lot of jake matches on other dvd's that are not on here though. would have like a match with macho man though. also would have like some more pre wwe matches. the wrestlemania vi match again ted dibiase should have been on here. no matches from the rick martel feud. odd. nothing from the undertaker feud either

Brenald79 likes this.
  8. Fox News had a lengthy, extensive interview with Hulk Hogan last Sunday about his life and career. Hulk was shilling his new surf shop but opened up about everything that has gone down for him, including his son's imprisonment and the Gawker trial.

He said that after all his surgeries, he's shrunk from being 6'8" in his prime to just a tick over 6'4".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Did he share the current size of the pythons?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Rick Rude feud was great. I remember on regular WWF programming all the stuff that led to their big matches when Rude would pick a girl out out the crowd to kiss and it was actually Jake's wife Cheryl and she slapped Rude then another week Rude wore tights with Cheryl's face on them and Jake came out to the ring and striped them off leaving him naked.

11. Matthew Tate

yeah rude had some great feuds with a few people. same with jake. there is another match in the jake/steamboat feud on the steamboat dvd set and another match on the best of Saturday night main event dvd set. there is a match from the jake/rick martel feud on the new unreleased vol 3 dvd set. of course pretty much any ppv match Roberts was in is on a dvd set. theres a match from the jake/macho man feud on one of the macho man dvd sets and another earlier encounter between these 2 on the Saturday night main event dvd set.

Sammy Banderas and Brenald79 like this.
  12. He did flex and pose a bit.:D The most shocking thing that was shown were all the crutches he's kept as a memento for his various surgeries over the years. He has something like 60 sets of crutches. Hulk does seem to be in a happy place right now. He was asked if he would go back to the WWE if invited by them, after they unceremoniously fired him when the video came out. He still misses the wrestling world on some level.

13. Matthew Tate

Hogan is part of the reason wcw went under and helped to squash a lot of great talent. he needs to stay away from wrestling now

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It was so dumb back then with 3 hour Nitro shows and another 2 hour Thursday show how all the best wrestlers would be in the first hour, then endless nWo stuff and hogan to end the show, if I'm remembering correctly.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

well Hogan also was helping to get his friends big huge contracts that were guaranteed. at one point wcw had dozens of wrestlers getting paid weekly who weren't appearing on tv shows. Hogan helped keep jake the snake from having a feud with him. he didn't want any of the wcw cruiserweights getting pushed to main event status and because of that a lot of them started to leave, Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, etc.

S. P. Honeybunch and Brenald79 like this.
  16. Matthew Tate

sorta asked a similar question earlier in this thread.

who are your favorite wrestlers from each decade and rivalries that you feel defined those wrestlers or that decade?

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

On Los Angeles local TV around 1988-89, we had a WWF show on early Sunday afternoons. It was mostly star wrestlers wrestling the no name guys. Honestly, almost all of those star wrestlers were great: Honky Tonk Man, Mr. Perfect, Brother Love, Rick Rude, The Barber, Bushwhackers, British Bulldogs, the Hart Foundation, Jesse Ventura... I don't remember seeing Hulk, Macho Man, or Andre too much if at all, as WWF probably saved those guys for the bigger broadcasts.

Earthquake and the Undertaker came a little bit later, and seemed to be a bit of a downturn in personality.

I started watching again about ten years later and took to Booker T and his wife. They were classy. The Rock was also fun to watch.

I'm back to watching Raw again, but haven't found a favorite wrestler. I kinda like Enzo and his willingness to make deals with Curt Angle to protect his belt. Goldust is a great wrestler, but it's painful to watch him lose every match.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

great thoughts. i'll make a post later to answer the questions i asked.

booker t was imo a guy no one knew how much he'd be missed or how much he was worth until he retired

19. Matthew Tate

to answer my own questions. I can not go back before the 70's. I'm sure maybe someone here can. i'm not old enough and there isn't enough footage for me to watch.

this isn't exactly a list of my favorite wrestlers but wrestlers I felt performed great during these decades. just because I list someone as being great in the 70's, 80's, etc doesn't mean I think that at the end of that decade they stopped being great. these are not ranked

70's
    1 Bruno sammartino
    2 Harley race
    3 dusty rhodes
    4 superstar billy graham

rivalries of the 70's
    -superstar vs dusty
    -Bruno vs superstar

80's
    1 ric flair
    2 ricky steamboat
    3 jake roberts
    4 randy savage
    5 rick rude

rivalries of the 80's
    -flair vs steamboat
    -Hogan vs andre
    -Hogan vs roddy piper
    -Roberts vs steamboat
    -savage vs steamboat
    -Roberts vs rick rude

yes I think steamboat was that great in rivalries

90's
    1 shawn michaels
    2 sting
    3 undertaker
    4 bret hart
    5 rob van dame

rivalries of the 90's
    -flair vs sting
    -hart vs michaels
    -undertaker vs mankind
    -rvd vs jerry lynn

00's
    1 HHH
    2 aj styles
    3 samoa joe
    4 Christopher daniels
    5 cm punk
    6 bryan danielson

feuds of the 00's
    -styles vs joe vs daniels in any combination of these 3
    -Danielson vs kenta kobayashi
    -hhh vs kurt angle
    cm punk vs joe

20. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

21. Hitman2017

Hitman2017 Active Member

Best promo ever!

:laugh:

22. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I've seen the King Cobra incident on YouTube. Talk about things that could never happen in today's world! Wow!

I wonder how Jake actually got a King Cobra into the venue, as well as talked Macho Man into getting bit by it? I know it was devenomized, but I've read where Macho Man got sick from it afterwards.

That said, I can't imagine a more heel moment than that one! Had women screaming, children crying, etc.

23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I watched lots of wrestling in the late 90s in the attitude era.
    Favorites:
    -DX (HBK, HHH, X-Pac), The Rock, Mankind, Scott Steiner, Jericho, Raven

Rivalries and great matches:
    -Shawn Michaels vs Razor Ramone (1994 Wrestlemania Ladder Match)
    -Mic Foley vs The Undertaker (1998 Hell in a Cell Match - Undertaker threw Mankind off the top of the cage onto the Spanish announcers table)
    -Mic Foley vs The Rock (1999 Royal Rumble "I quit match")
    -Stone Cold vs The Rock
    -Stone Cold vs Mic Foley

Live:
    -the best sporting event I've been to was a pay-per view 1998 before the Royal Rumble. Main event was Austin vs Undertaker in Buried Alive match and Mankind vs The Rock that went all over the arena with Vince and Shane involved.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Matthew Tate

jake said he showed macho several times it had no venom by getting bit himself and macho then ok'd it. jake said though for some reason the snake bit macho man harder and latched onto macho man longer than it was suppose to and caused it to be worse than planned

jdlaw likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

great match. remember when foley got slammed through the top of the cell too? that was actually not suppose to happen