Nick Drake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fishoutofwater, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

If you are connected maybe you could suggest his albums get the 45RPM LP treatment. Nick Drake's music deserves the best sound.

sjaca and Gardo like this.
  2. alexpop

[​IMG]
    There is a larger photo of this I believe with missing people that got cropped out.

Alan2 likes this.
  3. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Only a distant connection, but they are totally disinterested in the current obsession with messing around with old music.
    I doubt 45RPM could add anything to what exists.

Made To Love Magic was as far as they will go with actually tinkering with the musical past IMO.
    And now that Robert Kirby is gone, and John Wood is in no mood to mess around with what is arguably perfect, thats where we are.

For me, its a small canon of timeless music, artistic, production, recording perfection.
    And I love it for precisely that.

richierichie, Alan2 and Mbe like this.
  4. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Did you find one? it would be nice to see.

'Nice Enough to Eat' would be the one of the two 69 Island samplers with Nick Drake.

5. Buddys Dad

6. Buddys Dad

Some massive talent in the one photo

Flaming Torch and Man at C&A like this.
  7. Philo

Philo Music Maven

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

9. alexpop

10. alexpop

Well it wouldn't be messing about.
    It's not a remix.

11. alexpop

In the seventies the only good press he got was from the NME's Nick Kent.

12. alexpop

Good to see he has a few ardent fans on the forum.

13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I am very recent to the more complete works and talent of Nick Drake, although I have the samplers mentioned;
    The longest gap between listening to an artist and "getting" it?

Should be an interesting thread so looking forward to reading the comments.

14. Buddys Dad

Was invited to Nick's photographer Keith Morris Private view of his ND images in 2004. It was attended by Graham Coxon & Paul Weller to name but a few.
    Sadly we were out of the country, but that meant I got to go to Redferns Music Gallery to watch Keith talk about ND for a documentary.
    The overwhelming memory of the day, was the dramatic change in the appearance of Nick over just a few short years.

[​IMG]

Subvet, Mbe and Radio KTmS like this.
  15. Buddys Dad

16. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

You're not kidding! In an early brush with the obscurity he loves so much and his fans are bewildered by, RT fell off the left hand margin at the cover printers.

Lost In The Flood and alexpop like this.
  17. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

With the arrival of autumn here in the eastern/Rust Belt part of the US, come the Nick Drake records on my turntable and iPod.

Lately, I've been drawn particularly to Five Leaves Left, more than I have before. "River Man" seems to be from another dimension. I'm glad he found those unconventional chords and wrote that song exactly how it is.

The recent vinyl issues of his three albums are as perfect as it gets.

Gardo, HenryFly, Mbe and 1 other person like this.
  18. alexpop

Not very fair port.

HenryFly and Mbe like this.
  19. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Not very Fair port? Well a year after this photo we got the not very fair part RT was given by Nick as the sessionman you can barely hear on Hazey Jane II.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    alexpop likes this.
  20. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

I've begun to wonder what happened to poor Betty who, so existentialist and forlorn, feels her time is short. Did the analgesic thought of 'rain' help her get through to next years' lilac time (late May)? Or is she stuck in perpetual winter?

21. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I disagree...some, yes...but I was introduced to Nick in 1994 with Way To Blue: An Introduction To Nick Drake.
    The Volkswagen ad did not appear until 1999. Nick had already blossomed due to word-of-mouth that spread quickly throughout my generations heyday - 1994-1998. Volkswagen only spread it around a bit more.

22. alexpop

That's part of the gig being a session man, usually buired in the mix, I'm sure RT welcomed the session fee though.

23. alexpop

Brad Pitt " lost boy " bbc radio 2 was the narrator for Nick Drake documentary. Guess he finds his music soothing especially now with his matrimonial problems.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

How do the downloads compare to the original CDs? The original (90s?) CDs sound very good with a high level of transparency like the original/early UK vinyl. I wasn't too impressed with those deluxe box vinyl reissues for Bryter Layter and Five Leaves Left and I suspect some of it came down to the poor quality of sources.

25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

He may never have felt cheated by the mix, but it's the only thing I'd change in the 31 songs he released in his lifetime. Richard's hilarious quip when asked about his working relationship with Nick yet again after Nick-mania started was that before he met the queen to get his OBE he'd imagined what she was going to say to him and he was praying it wasn't going to be about his Nick Drake connections!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.