Tom Petty The Live Anthology: Ultimate Collector's Edition Boxed Set (5 CDs + 1 Blu-ray + 2 DVDs + 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zafu, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

If I'd seen this set for UK equivalent $50 I'd have bought it but it's only for disc 5 really. Don't get me wrong, Lord knows I love a box set but all the other stuff I can live without.

ARK likes this.
  2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I bought the hires version from Pono so I don't have the BR concert or the detritus but I have the music which is fine by me. Would I like the vinyl box? Sure but not at prices ot's going for today. I haven't even looked as I know it's going to be more than I want to pay for it. Coincidently I was listening to it on my walk today and when I walked in the house I decided it didn't need to end so I plugged the Pono player in the main system and let it fly. So much good music to enjoy.

kBear and 500Homeruns like this.
  3. rgray_69

rgray_69 Forum Resident

I just checked my blu-ray and it has the songs from all 5 discs. 62 songs on the cds 62 songs on the blu-ray

bbanderic and Myke like this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'm quite happy with my 4 CD set. The 5th disc doesn't look that great, although I wouldn't mind hearing Ballad of Easy Rider from it. The DVD of Santa Monica would be cool. But at the prices? Forget it.
    The 4 disc set is damn fine.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is correct, the quoted info. was not. I just double-checked my own Best Buy Exclusive set.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers* - The Live Anthology

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

This set is now selling for big bucks. Glad I snagged my new corner split set for 50 bucks a few years ago. One piece of scotch tape and the split fit together perfectly, can't even notice it. Now I'm hanging on a Beach Party file that is showing one seeder but I'm getting nothing. I hope the seeder pops back in, I really want to check it out! The deluxe Runnin' Down A Dream DVD set is also skyrocketing, got one of those for me and one my brother a few years back too.

Tom Petty Live Anthology in Music CDs | eBay

The MEZ and melstapler like this.
  7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

One of my prized boxed sets.

The MEZ, Matthew Tate and Galley like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I bought the Live Anthology set at Best Buy a few years back for $29. Wish I bought a few at the time. I ended up selling it unopened for about $80 thinking that I wouldn't listen to it. Well that was a mistake as I've gotten back into Tom Petty the last few years especially in multichannel. I did a WTB in the classifieds for the Live Anthology set and got a mint set for $70. So glad I have it as the Blu-ray has been playing for the last 2 hours and still have quite a bit left.

9. Myke

3 hours. 5 hours total, it's a monster.

The MEZ likes this.
  10. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Yes, you are right about all 62 songs being on the blu-ray. Not sure how I got that wrong. In any case, the blu-ray is great sound, and I love putting it on and listening with it like a 4+ hour concert. Plus the 96/24 lists with DR of 13 vs. the cd's at DR of 9:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

kBear and Myke like this.
  11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Nice to know you have no problem stealing music and telling the world about it

O Don Piano likes this.
  12. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Pardon the pun, but it's a real heartbreaker for me personally that I snoozed on the blu ray version of this set. One of my most coveted releases but it's getting too high for me. Wish they'd reissue it.

13. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I didn't realize how much the vinyl box is going for. Crazy!

14. Larsen

Larsen Forum Resident

Great set! Manufactured to perfection. I beauty for the eye and a pleasure for the ear.

Matthew Tate, mick_sh and Malina like this.
  15. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Reading is fundamental. Beach Party is a 1982 Cameron Crowe directed MTV special that was only aired a few times. And now I'm "stealing music" because I want to watch it? :laugh: I've spent plenty on Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and that's fine with me, don't worry about it.

16. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

The big fat box is a must have for all Tom Petty fans. The artwork is one of the finest I've ever seen. Iconic. The blu-ray... what can I say, 62 great sounding Petty live songs in one disc.

kBear and Galley like this.
  17. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I have and love this set but don't really love the sequencing. I mean, each disc is great and works on its own, but I'd prefer the whole thing didn't jump from year to year, back and forth all over the place. I kinda wish it were closer to chronological by performance date. Then the material would roughly follow the songwriting/album arc, excepting killer latter day versions of older tunes, and I think it would be a more interesting listen hearing the band evolve that way.

clhboa likes this.
  18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It would be somewhat of an inconvenience, but you could make some discs with your own preferred order, no?

19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I just picked up a new deluxe box set for $80 at the House of Guitars here in town, the outer box was a bit dinged up but the contents inside were mint, not a bad deal considering that the set is going for $200 or better. I agree with everyone, this is an incredible set, feel fortunate to have a copy.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I just bought the 4disc set from Amazon for $15. How much will I be missing out on?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Huge inconvenience but I could arrange files as such and might now that I think of it.

22. Myke

23. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

So glad I snagged one when they were that cheap!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Can someone walk thru the 400 Days video? How many live performances? Any details on which shows are included?

25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Save a search on Ebay and one day when you don't expect it a reasonably priced Buy It Now will come into your email and you will snag it. I buy a ton of oop cd's on there, trust me.

The MEZ, Bill Mac and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.