SH Spotlight "Wanna Buy A Record?" movie with Mel Blanc at Capitol Studios, how records are recorded & pressed..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Read this and weep:

Hollywood, September 10 [1955] - Capitol Records will accomplish a major promotional coup this month via the slotting of five top recording artists and as many songs on five important television shows with a cumulative audience expected to top 150 million viewers. Them most ingenious show bows September 26 on the Ziv-Tv syndicated "Mr. District Attorney" airer, with Nat (King) Cole airing "Someone on Your Mind." Script for the show was penned by Cap staffers, while the plot deals with record piracy. Film will show scenes of Capitol's recording studios, depict an examination of the Capitol label, with the bogus disk and other details concerning disk bootlegging. "Someone on Your Mind," of course, gets the plug and is heard thruout the show, latter syndicated in some 200 markets areas thruout the nation.

[Note to fellow Nat fans -- the song's title is incorrect.]

2. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Guess that the photo above fits in this thread -- somewhat. (Just gave up, after spending some time searching for a more suitable open thread! Anyway, not the greatest picture quality, but still, a nice visual memento from the early years of the revered label ...)

3. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

The song in question is "Someone You Love,"and it apparently was featured in the background of this episode. No idea about whether actual shots of the studio were featured as well.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this is some great ol' footage too I thought that belongs in this thread:

5. Rick Bartlett

and off topic a bit, but some nice nostalgia

6. Rick Bartlett

ahhh, love this old stuff:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That Columbia film is really wonderful. I have the exact record that Igor was conducting that day. The xylophone gives it away.

8. Rick Bartlett

9. adad

adad Forum Resident

I believe at 11:40 it shows a quick shot of Ken Nelson recording Jimmy Wakely. Looks like a simple Studio at that time.
    I am a fan of old Capital Hillbilly Music so this was very interesting to me.

I dont see the song on You Tube. Maybe this 78
    78 Record: Jimmy Wakely - My Heart Has Room For You (1952)

My intro to this music was:
    Hillbilly Music Thank God Vol 1 from 1989.
    Various - Hillbilly Music...Thank God! Volume 1

Maybe the first was the Louvin Brothers. When I got into Gram Parsons/ Byrds in the mid 80's.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Christmas bumpie.

Tombby likes this.
  11. Just because I can, here's one of my most favourite records from Capitol Records. When I first heard it, I didn't know anything other than what was on the record label (an old Australian four track EP, very scratched) and as soon as I heard the big joke in the opening I was completely hooked!

That came out some 25 years before I was born. And I think it still holds up all these years later. As well as Stan Freberg (whom I hadn't heard of before that record) it also features June Foray and Daws Butler. Was anyone else involved or was it just the three of them?

I like the way YouTube calls it a song.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the two-track tape is nice, very wide Stereo. That 3 track remix from the 1980's wasn't that great.

13. Rick Bartlett

This is another interesting piece of footage showing how 'shellac' records are made.
    Archive Footage: 1940s Shellac Records - CharlieDeanArchives

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.