Back catalogue releases related to McCartney's 2016 move back to Capitol - First releases announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leeroy jenkins, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I think the press release stating that these are the “FIRST 8 releases” in the archive collection is potentially a good sign

OobuJoobu likes this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Hang fire. The albums don't come out for another month or so. Why the need to get all sarky just because pre-order links aren't all sorted? What is it with the need to pre-order months in advance???

Sean Murdock likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Because it shows a lack of care and haphazardness for a project that should not have to be rushed and should be planned better. It just shows how poorly run it all is. Instead, they (MPL, or whoever is put in charge of the press releases) could have spent an extra day or two making sure everything was correct and working properly. It is just sloppy to say the least.

4. Arnold Grove

Yes, it is ONGOING. And that implies that the Archive series is going to continue (probably though at its snail's pace). Now exactly what we will get in the future is another story. 1 CD? 2-CD set? 1 LP? Colored vinyl? 2-LP set? Deluxe book edition? All of the above? No one knows...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Bit disappointed Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway miss out again. I believe these titles have not been revisited since the early 1990s on cd or vinyl.

Mr. Explorer and Shak Cohen like this.
  6. Flaming Torch

I agree about the 70's albums. I too feel a degree of nostalgia for them. Going back to my hobby of moaning as an elderly curmudgeon I have never found the whole MPL organisation particularly user friendly. I have the download codes from several of the big box deluxe issues but I have never used them because you have to log in a member of one of 6 sites none of whom I want anything to do with.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

The press release was so vague, no one knows how limited these coloured vinyl are going to be, so it might be the case that they end up sold out way before release date.

It's certainly confusing. First they appear to be Capitol/Universal store exclusives, now US pre-orders are appearing elsewhere.
    As for the UK, all links have been removed (including the Universal McCartney splash page for this whole campaign) so it looks more like everything's been pulled again for now rather than everything selling out. But when folk like @Frank mention runs of 500, that gets me worrying........ :)

Chris K

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Thanks Mazzy. I have ordered the coloured vinyl from Soundstage and am now registered with them. Well that is sorted for now.
    I have no idea if these will be released (coloured vinyl) in the UK. The black vinyl is £24. The chances are that getting these from the USA will end up costing no more than buying any possible colour vinyl if they get a release in the UK. The 6 titles I would get on black vinyl will cost £150 in the UK anyway.
    Sorry for another moan but I feel we in the UK are getting treated in a more and more shabby way each day by Les Music Industry.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Sorry for another post (I am at coffee in Shenley at the Orchard Tea Rooms set in lovely countryside) but I agree with the above. Paul sort of was one of the first to leave a mega successful group and then have to go well what do you do next? There was no blueprint then and the raawk industry was still in its infancy.

Mr. Explorer and DK Pete like this.
  10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I heard that the "Wonderful Christmas Time" 45 is being re-issued on both red or green vinyl for RSD Black Friday.........I'm serious! An RSD WOA on red, white and blue vinyl would be great!

12. Arnold Grove

This must be part of the Comprehensive Plan. Paul is releasing these 8 albums in every possible variation that anyone can think up and on every record label that is left. I'm anxiously awaiting an announcement for a set of Archive flexi-discs on the KTEL label any day now ... ;)

Mr. Explorer and Darrin L. like this.
  13. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Why can't both exist?

Mr. Explorer and JDeanB like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They will. There are archive copies a-plenty still out there.

Mr. Explorer and e.s. like this.
  15. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has bought one since the switch or seen one in a store to see if the actual physical product says Capitol or some variation of Hear Music / Concord.
    There was a so-called 9th release that isn't included. I think that's what that means.

Also, we all (except the MPL braintrust) know that these aren't the "first eight Archive collection titles" anyway. There's a giant hole where WOA used to be.

I wouldn't read too much into the press release. It's a mess.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Anyone can see this whole release campaign is not something needed. The Archive sets cd and vinyl have been already released. The colored vinyl is a waste of time will these be the best sounding ever. There’s nothing New coming out right.

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

what an odd thing to say.

Capitol purchases the rights to the McCartney catalog, and you think they shouldn't sell anything?
    I hope you're better at something else than you are with economics.

18. Well when an artist owns their catalogue and switches labels the new label put out the catalogue again.

So by releasing these 8 titles they are catching up to what Concord put out then will continue with the rest of his music.

Easy obvious answer.

Mr. Explorer, e.s. and FKA002 like this.
  19. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Where did you hear this? I'm trying to find rsd info and haven't heard a thing.

20. MILKEY

MILKEY Forum Resident

Ok Capitol needs to sell records but us collectors don’t need a 2nd copy of everything do we.

21. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

No you don't need a second copy. You don't have to get them. But for me this will only be my first copy of these albums on colored vinyl. I won't buy them if capitol reissues them next year on the same colors.

Mr. Explorer and e.s. like this.
  22. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I hope you're right. But Capitol didn't catch up to what Concord put out even on its face, did they? I mean, besides the discs and discs of missing content, there's a glaring release omission.

I see absolutely 0 evidence that Capitol is interested in doing the kind of Archive Collections that a smaller label was willing to do. My gut is that we've seen the last multi-disc "pulled from the vaults" Concord-style Archive Collection and will, at most, get single-disc remastered editions of the remaining albums called "Archive Collection" for consistency. FitD was in the pipeline so that came out (they wouldn't even pony up the cost of a bonus disc for a $150 boxed set on that one though, putting deluxe content out download only), but I think that's it. They put up the cash to get the big name, but they're not going to throw good money after it on things that they'll see only a few enthusiasts buy on release day and then have sit in a warehouse.

It's nice to be the biggest fish in a small pond.

Hope I'm wrong.

23. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

As I recall, the decision on the bonus disc came straight from Paul. I doubt Capitol refused an additional disc (as people said here time and time again, the cost is peanuts) and insisted on downloads. We know that bizarre decision came straight from Macca.

I still believe its MPL who hold the reins on the boxsets. I'm sure as long as the reissues are profitable, Capitol will put out what Paul likes.

Mr. Explorer, e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  24. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I know nothing has been announced or confirmed but could this be a promotional tie-in for the forthcoming remake with Jimmy Fallon and The Roots instead of the original recording?

25. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Do you imagine Paul would announce that he has no pull with his label and couldn't even get them to release a peanuts-costing bonus disc, or do you think he'd send his manager out "don't quote me!" with some cockamamie excuse about streaming that doesn't even apply to the downloads to say it was his call all along?

Again, I hope you're right and we'll see big fat bonus content on the remaining albums, most of which I like.
    If this were the nature of their relationship, he'd have never left them for Starbucks (friggin' Starbucks!) in the first place.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.