David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

wouldn't give you $1 for it. as i say, if that album works for you then you needn't spend big to get what you want.

2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Not discussing this anymore with you.....you have made your point. I get it, you are the be all end all of Bowie vinyl :rolleyes:;)

Wouldn't have asked about earlier pressings if I wasn't planning on getting them.

Enjoy your night/day, whatever time it is for you

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

take my advice however you like it. and apologies for having knowledge of the various bowie pressings.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m confused. You asked for advice on earlier analog pressings, and then immediately grabbed two new digital remasters known to have severely reduced dynamic range and poor editing issues. When someone tries to help, you get defensive about it. If it’s really more about just getting the cheapest thing you can find...why not just listen on Spotify?

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

thanks for getting it.

jon9091 likes this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

That really is a strange reaction to the advice you were asking for.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  7. mikedifr0923

First off I asked for advice to get early analog pressings because I want to get earlier analog pressings.....what's so hard to understand about that??? Seems pretty simple and straight forward to me. I think my 7 year old would understand. :confused:

B, I got them before asking for the advice....hence the reason I asked

Third.....Because I'm the first person to buy multiple pressings of the same albums on here?

D - No one ever said anything about the cheapest I could find.....that would be streaming which I only do in work. Recently spent $100+ on a porcupine tree record....certainly don't cheap out. Forgive me if I don't feel like searching for originals and wanted to know of good, earlier represses/reissues

Lastly, I don't use Spotify but I have already listened to things on tidal.....again....I must be the first person on here to get multiple pressings of the same album. Weird precedent I have set. I sure hope no one else makes that mistake! :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  8. mikedifr0923

No....it's a reaction to repeated "snobbish" remarks on the new vinyl after I already got the advice I wanted....from people who didn't feel the need to act that way. I didn't feel like going through a circle jerk of debating so I decided to be a wiseass/sarcastic....stop taking things so seriously...hence the emoticons. Did I set a precedent with being a wiseass/sarcastic as well?? ;)

Sorry if people got offended, Jesus

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

[​IMG]

Say hello to the rest of my ignore list for me. :wave:

10. mikedifr0923

Will do!!! You asked the question.

:biglaugh::shrug:

11. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Your attitude in your last few postings stinks - sounds like you don't really need any help from the rest of us if you're going to start mouthing off like that - I politely suggest you exercise more restraint and composure in your replies in future...

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  12. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The Bowie catalog is too much of a mess to reccommend a particular batch or campaign. Sometimes the German RCA is best, sometimes the Japanese RCA, sometimes the Ryko, sometimes the new remaster. Too many options to form a consensus.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  13. mikedifr0923

Apologizing is stinky attitude?

Didn't realize we all had to be 150% serious all the time on here and that everyone except me can be offended. Noted.

My sincere apologies for any misunderstanding.

14. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

You don't have to be 150% serious on here all of the time but your tone has hardly been apologetic until now, more attacking the very people who were offering to help you.

We're all on the same side here, at the end of the day everyone wants the best sound quality possible without breaking the bank.

15. mikedifr0923

I wasnt attacking anyone.

I apologized above when I realized people were offended.....On an earlier post I sincerely said have a good night after I ended my sarcastic comment with emoticons indicating such. I got asked a really stupid question and responded with sarcasm, again indicating such with emoticons. I got responses acting like I am an idiot that doesn't know what he talking about (which is far from the truth).

I shouldn't be made to feel awkward and unwelcome asking a simple question and having discussions on here even though I don't post wave forms and charts and am not looking for perfection like some (which is what I meant by "everyone else can be offended but I can't?") If I wanted to be a dick I would have been a dick.....trust me, that wasn't me being a dick.

If you look back at all the recommendations I received I replied and I tried to thank people personally. Whoever I missed was because I didn't want to overload the thread, I can't get the multiple quote posting to work.

Like I said, it was a complete misunderstanding. But I will take the responsibility and apologize.

16. mikedifr0923

I am starting to see that.....Just trying to get best bang for buck and it seemed like there were a couple recommendations. I enjoy him but he isn't one of my top favs where I am willing to go nuts. After that, who knows, I may branch out even more the more I listen to his music. I tend to create my own rabbit holes haha

17. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I've spent well over an hour reading and searching through the forum threads on the "Five Years," "Who Can I Be Now" and "A New Career in a New Town" box sets and am still confused. Hoping someone can help explain how these sets got issued on hi-rez digital download, and what's the best strategy for buying them.

I was planning to buy these box sets on HDTracks to get higher resolution files than CD. I already have the Bowie catalogue from prior reissues (although very few of the old RCA CDs), and mostly wanted the new and bonus tracks.

Then I realized "Five Years" on HDTracks does not include half the material on the CD box set, and "Who Can I Be Now" and "A New Career" are each offered in two different configurations with different material from the box set and different resolutions:

Five Years
    Who Can I Be Now 96/24
    Who Can I Be Now 192/24
    New Career 96/24
    New Career 192/24

18. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

wish i could help as i only purchased the CD sets. have never had the opportunity to compare them to the hi res offerings.

19. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

As follow up to my earlier post (two posts above), I've listed out what's included in the "Five Years," "Who Can I Be Now?" and "A New Career In A New Town" CD box sets, indicating what is not available in the hi-rez download versions of these box sets on HDTracks, plus a few other notes. The 192/24 and 96/24 hi-rez versions of "Who Can I Be Now" and "A New Career" contain different material. It is not entirely clear to me what "exclusive to the box set" means, but I believe the record company means that particular mix or mastering won't be offered in a separate product outside these box sets.

Hope this helps others figure out what has what. I welcome any corrections.

* indicates exclusivity to the box set

Five Years (1969-1973) [12CD]
    1. David Bowie (a.k.a. Space Oddity) (2015 remaster)
    2. The Man Who Sold the World (2015 remaster)
    3. Hunky Dory (2015 remaster)
    4. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2012 remaster)
    5. Aladdin Sane (2013 remaster)
    6. Pin Ups (2015 remaster)
    7. Live Santa Monica '72 (2008 remaster) [NOT ON HI-REZ]
    8. Ziggy Stardust: The Motion Picture Soundtrack (2003 remaster) [2CD] [NOT ON HI-REZ]
    9. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2003 Ken Scott mix) * [Previously available on DVD of 2012 LP/DVD 40th Anniversary reissue] [NOT ON HI-REZ]
    10. Re:Call 1 (remastered tracks) * [2CD] [NOT ON HI-REZ]

Who Can I Be Now? (1974–1976) [12CD]
    1. Diamond Dogs (2016 remaster)
    2. David Live (original mix) (2016 remaster) [2CD] * [Previously released on CD by 1990 Rykodisc/EMI, which had some bonus tracks]
    3. David Live (2005 mix) (2016 remaster) [2CD] [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]
    4. The Gouster (remastered tracks) *
    5. Young Americans (2016 remaster)
    6. Station to Station (2016 remaster)
    7. Station to Station (2010 Harry Maslin mix) * [Previously available on DVD of 2010 Station to Station deluxe edition box set] [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]
    8. Live Nassau Coliseum '76 (2010 remaster) [2CD] [Previously available in 2010 Station to Station deluxe edition box set] [NOT ON HI-REZ 96/24] [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]
    9. Re:Call 2 (remastered tracks) * [NOT ON HI-REZ 96/24] [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]

A New Career in a New Town (1977–1982) [11CD]
    1. Low (2017 remaster)
    2. "Heroes" (2017 remaster)
    3. "Heroes" EP *
    4. Stage (original version) (2017 remaster) [2CD] *[Previously available on CD by 1984 RCA and 1991 Rykodisc]
    5. Stage (2017 version) [2CD] [Rearranges running order of original version, like 2005 CD reissue, but also adds “Suffragette City”]
    6. Lodger (2017 remaster)
    7. Lodger (Tony Visconti 2017 mix) * [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]
    8. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps) (2017 remaster)
    9. Re:Call 3 (remastered tracks) * [NOT ON HI-REZ 96/24] [NOT ON HI-REZ 192/24]

20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I see you've already answered your questions, but I would add that this is region-dependent.

In some non-USA territories it was possible to buy hi-res "Box Only" titles (and hi-rez individual songs!) without buying the entire box.

In the USA, if you were willing to buy lossy versions, you could have gone to Apple and/or Amazon for your a la carte needs.

But ....

hi-rez Re:Call[x] was offered nowhere. Didn't exist.
    No version of Re:Call[x] was included with 96/24 or 192/24 download boxes.

192/24 Visconti Lodger was offered nowhere. Didn't exist.
    192/24 Maslin STS was offered nowhere. Didn't exist.
    192/24 Nassau was offered nowhere. Didn't exist.

etc.
    etc. on back through first box.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

That's pretty scummy. Given that most of the vinyl in these sets is digitally-sourced (from my understanding), I'm more inclined to go with the hi-res downloads. But if the downloads include virtually nothing that is exclusive to the box... why even bother issuing these? It's just the individual albums, which were probably already available separately (or will be).

Very disappointing! But thanks for the heads-up, @Turnaround!

gomen ne and sunspot42 like this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I skipped most of these reissues as a result. Don't want more CDs. Vinyl? You have to be joking. Where's the 8-tracks? And the outrageously expensive high-res editions are missing the bonus disc.

On top of that the remastering is a total mixed bag - they still couldn't get it right.

One of these days I'll just re-equalize the Ryko remasters from 1990 and be done with it. I'm fully convinced - based on what I've heard - that those masters with a touch of EQ would best every other edition available, I already own all of them, and they come with a full suite of bonus tracks.

gomen ne and mikaal like this.
  23. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Small correction: Stage (2017 Version) adds "Suffragette City" and "The Jean Genie".

JediJoker likes this.
  24. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

I wouldn't totally discount the mastering on the new releases. The mastering on the first set is damn near awesome. Especially considering the way the masters for his catalog have been notoriously mishandled. The second set was a little less consistent but still sounded great.

Third set...yea, we know how that went. If that was closer to the other two in terms of quality, I feel the reputation for the overall project thus far would be regarded more highly. But that screw-up with heroes was a big mistake and cost them a bunch in terms of credibility. Their initial excuse only made matters worse. On the flip side, I really enjoyed listening to a different take on lodger.

If you already have all the rykos and that mastering appeals to you, then I can certainly see passing on these.

But if you're buying the catalog from scratch, I think you definitely have to consider the newer sets.

mikedifr0923, JediJoker and TonyCzar like this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I got the high res downloads of the second set.

Meh.

It's not exactly a revelation, and I suspect I could re-EQ the Rykos and get something that sounded almost identical. The EQ is broadly better than what's featured on the Rykos - which really aimed too hard for clarity, that being the on-trend sound of the times (see also the '87 Beatles remasters) - but beyond that I hear few advantages.

The original master tapes also seem to have deteriorated considerably since Ryko did their remasters in 1990, based on what I've read about the issues on the first set.

mooseman likes this.