Classical "Mega" CD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dajokr, Jan 28, 2012.

1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

I have finally figured out the best way for me to store the Mega CD boxes. Since I like uniformity, I was always bothered by the fact that the outer design of mega boxes was all over the place, even with releases on the same label. Until I figured out that I can just put the boxes sideways with the lid open all the way, and have all CDs face outward (you have to turn them by 90 degrees). Now I’m happy, and all CDs are easily accessible at once. And it looks much nicer, methinks.

Pictured are:
    - DG Mono Era
    - Ferenc Fricsay Vol. 1
    - Pierre Fournier Edition
    - Walter Gieseking Bach
    - Decca Mono Years
    - Decca Sound
    - Archiv Produktion Analogue

What is missing is my Decca Analogue box, because the lid opens differently. I guess I’ll have to just store those CDs outside of the box.

How do you store/display your boxes?

bluemooze, PH416156, Wes H and 8 others like this.
  2. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

Nice display Crispi! Smart.
    I adjust mine as they arrive in the limited space I'm giving them. For now.
    I pull a box when I want something. The boxes won't fit in the CD rack.
    They'll eventually steal a bookcase shelf.
    Bach, Mozart, Beethoven & Brahms vs Louis L'Amour, Edward Abbey, Elmore Leonard & Robert E. Howard.
    It should be quite a battle.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Runicen, PH416156 and 4 others like this.
  3. Mowgli

Flashback to the final scene of Blazing Saddles...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector Thread Starter

Interesting idea. I think I would like it, except the few box sets that couldn't be displayed this way would bother my OCD. :D

I've thought of getting the sort of racks you find in CD shops:

[​IMG]

...and taking all of the discs out of the boxes so I could flip through them. With the thin sleeves, you could fit hundreds of discs in one rack.

bluemooze, PhantomStranger and crispi like this.
  5. Shapeshifter

Shapeshifter Well-Known Member

great collection. would you mind sharing all your collections?

Mowgli likes this.
  6. Mowgli

In pictures but not RL :)
    You mean something like this? (There's some LvB in there for on topic content)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  7. Mowgli

or Zappa (his symphonies are classical)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Runicen like this.
  8. Mowgli

some Mozart
    [​IMG]
    My Black Sabbath collection vs my Beethoven collection last Winter
    [​IMG]
    vs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's enough off content mixed in with the on

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I wouldn't put CDs out of their original jewel cases. It looks nice for a while, but then a feeling of "wrongness" slowly creeps in. I put all of my CDs in thin sleeves and then I had to put them all back in their cases. I don't know about your OCD, but I just couldn't bear the sight of CDs not being in their original form—OCD be thanked.

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'd be storing them all outside the box on shelves if all box sets had disc jackets with labelled spines. Instead it is sort of a game of Tetris on top of my two 2x4 Ikea Expedits, with books, DIY parts, turntable setup tools, misc CDs, etc :D

Runicen and Mowgli like this.
  11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I try to keep my mega-boxes together, but it has gotten harder as the boxes seem to keep getting bigger. I like to have my classical music next to my main stereo unit, but that is the area that has the least amount of space. With respect to how I store them I keep them in the box. The better protected they are the better, and when I want to listen to something from the box it will be easier to locate that disc.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Is this picture rotated? I hope you don't store your records vertically :yikes:

Mowgli likes this.
  13. Mowgli

Just posed for a leaning tower of Ludwig picture.
    They went right back into their cubby afterwards. Standing vertically of course :righton:

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I see :edthumbs:
    Nice collection BTW :)

Mowgli likes this.
  15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

not a "mega box", but what the heck! Somebody might be interested; only €9.99 for 15 terrific Gustav Leonhardt recordings, courtesy of Amazon.de

Gustav Leonhardt - The Edition boxset

Mowgli likes this.
  16. Mowgli

Impressive resume and seems like he was an all around good guy - Gustav Leonhardt - Wikipedia
    $33 from Amazon US - I see why Amazon.de is so popular here

from wiki - Among the awards given to him were the Medal of Honour for the Arts and Sciences from the Netherlands, presented to him by Queen Beatrix in 2009, and the 1980 Erasmus Prize, which he shared with Nicolaus Harnoncourt; it honored their recording of the complete Bach cantatas. (Leonhardt donated the money he received from the Erasmus Prize to Oudeszijds 100,[7] an ecumenical Christian charity operating "in the red-light district [of] Amsterdam" that "addresses the issues of drug-addicts, prostitutes, refugees, and the homeless.")

Runicen likes this.
  17. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

I think most of the discs in the Leonhardt collection have been previously released in the 2 Vivarte boxes and the Seon box. Has anyone done a comparison?

Gustav Leonhardt's donation was better than that which many have made in Amsterdam's red-light district.

Mowgli likes this.
  18. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

$15.35 with shipping to the US. Thanks.

PH416156 and Mowgli like this.
  19. Mowgli

Same here. I ordered earlier :righton:

Bubbamike likes this.
  20. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome. :wave:

I have the two Vivarte boxes, I'll check later. There might be three or four cds that are on the Leonhardt boxset too

21. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

It seems the only 2 discs already on the Vivarte boxes are:

Bach - Cantatas BWV 27,34,41

Weckmann - Froberger - Works for Harpsichord

and they're all on Vivarte 2

Vivarte 1 has just 3 Leonhardt discs:

North German organ music

Organ music in France and Southern Netherlands

Telemann : Paris Quartets N° 1-12

and they do not appear to be on the aforementioned boxset...don't know about the Seon box though

22. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Forum Resident

Thanks. Is there a easy to read list of the discs in the boxset? The list on Amazon, as usual, give track names but neither the work nor composer is identified. The pictures of the box itself and the included discs seem incomplete.

I've burned all my CDs to iTunes, making them portable. A secondary benefit is that iTunes has a good search engine. From the DHM box, the Sony Baroque Music box, the Vivarte boxe(s), and the Seon box, I already have 57 discs featuring Leonhardt, either solo or a part of a group or consort. I also have about a half-dozen discs from Das Alte Werk, the Teldec label, with which he recorded before moving to Seon. Probably enough for now...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Leonhardt set, it is nice.

Mowgli likes this.
  24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've been listening to audio samples of the big Cluytens box all night and I liked the performances much better than I expected. I might even get it ;)

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory and RiRiIII like this.
  25. Papageno

Papageno Forum Resident

Philippe Herreweghe: The Harmonia Mundi Years (30CD)
    Release date: 13.10.2017

Philippe Herreweghe - The Harmonia Mundi Years (30 CDs) – jpc
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Herreweghe-Harmonia-Mundi-Years-Philippe/dp/B0743X369G

[​IMG]

CD 1 "Grands Motets Francais" - Dumont: Memorare; Magnificat (Brigitte Bellamy, Guillemette Laurens, Peter Kooy, La Chapelle Royale) / Rameau: In convertendo; Quam dilecta (Suzanne Gari, Lieve Monbaliu, Henri Ledroit, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale)
    CD 2 & 3 - Bach: Kantaten BWV 21 (Barbara Schlick, Gerard Lesne, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale), BWV 82 (Peter Kooy, La Chapelle Royale), BWV 125, 133, 138 (Debora York, Dorothee Blotzky-Mields, Mark Padmore, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent)
    CD 4 - Bach: Osteroratorium BWV 249 (Barbara Schlick, Kai Wessel, James Taylor, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent); Magnificat BWV 243 (Barbara Schlick, Agnes Mellon, Gerard Lesne, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale)
    CD 5 - Bach: Kantaten BWV 12, 95, 214 (Carolyn Sampson, Dorothee Mields, Daniel Taylor, Mark Padmore, Peter Kooy, Hans-Jörg Mammel, Collegium Vocale Gent)
    CD 6-8 - Bach: Matthäus-Passion BWV 244 (Howard Crook, Barbara Schlick, Rene Jacobs, Hans-Peter Blochwitz, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale)
    CD 9 & 10 - Mendelssohn: Paulus op. 36 (Melanie Diener, Annette Markert, James Taylor, Matthias Goerne, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale)
    CD 11 - Desprez: Stabat Mater dolorosa (La Chapelle Royale) / Lasso: Vide homi, quae pro te patior (Ensemble Vocal Europeen) / Palestrina: Missa Viri Galilaei (Ensemble Vocal Europeen, Ensemble Organum, Marcel Peres)
    CD 12 - Hassler: Missa I super Dixit Maria / Cardoso: Missa Miserere mihi Domine (Ensemble Vocal Europeen)
    CD 13 - Campra: Messe de Requiem (Elisabeth Baudry, Monique Zanetti, John Elwes, Stephen Varcoe, Choeur de la Chapelle Royale, La Chapelle Royale)
    CD 14 - Gilles: Requiem (Agnes Mellon, Peter Kooy, La Chapelle Royale) / Purcell: Funeral Sentences (Tessa Bonner, Patrizia Kwella, Kai Wessel, Paul Agnew, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent)
    CD 15 - Mozart: Requiem KV 626 (Sibylla Rubens, Annette Markert, Ian Bostridge, Hanno Müller-Brachmann, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 16 - Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem op. 45 (Christiane Oelze, Gerald Finley, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 17 - Faure: Requiem op. 48 (2 Versionen) (Agnes Mellon, Peter Kooy, Les Petits Chanteurs de Saint-Laurent, Ensemble Musique Oblique; Johannette Zomer, Stephan Genz, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CDs 18 & 19 - Bach: Messe h-moll BWV 232 (Johannette Zomer, Veronique Gens, Andreas Scholl, Christoph Pregardien, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, Collegium Vocale Gent Orchestra)
    CD 20 - Mozart: Meistermusik KV 477; Messe KV 427 c-moll "Große Messe" (Christiane Oelze, Jennifer Larmore, Scot Weir, Peter Kooy, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 21 - Beethoven: Missa Solemnis op. 123 (Rosa Mannion, Birgit Remmert, James Taylor, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 22 - Schubert: Messe D. 678 / Mendelssohn: Psalm 42 (Anna Korondi, Anke Vondung, RIAS Kammerchor, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 23 - Bruckner: Messe Nr. 3 f-moll (Ingela Bohlin, Ingeborg Danz, Hans-Jörg Mammel, RIAS Kammerchor, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 24 - Beethoven: Symphonie Nr. 9 (Melanie Diener, Petra Lang, Dietrich Henschel, Collegium Vocale Gent, La Chapelle Royale, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 25 - Schumann: Symphonien Nr. 2 & 4 (Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 26 - Schumann: Cellokonzert op. 129; Klavierkonzert op. 54 (Christophe Coin, Andreas Staier, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 27 - Mendelssohn: Ein Sommernachtstraum (Sandrine Piau, Choeur de la Chapelle Royale, Collegium Vocale Gent, Choeur de la Chapelle Royale) / Berlioz: Nuits d'ete op. 7 (Brigitte Balleys, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 28 - Bruckner: Symphonie Nr. 4 (Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 29 - Mahler: Des Knaben Wunderhorn (Sarah Connolly, Dietrich Henschel, Orchestre des Champs-Elysees)
    CD 30 - Schönberg: Pierrot lunaire op. 21 (Marianne Pousseur, Ensemble Musique Oblique) / Weill: Das Berliner Requiem (Alexander Laiter, Peter Kooy, Choeur de la Chapelle Royale, Ensemble Musique Oblique

crispi, RiRiIII, bluemooze and 4 others like this.