"The Honeymooners" Classic 39 One at a Time (Episode-by-Episode Thread)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

It wasn't Marshall in this episode - the boss was Mr. Monahan. The actor playing whom (whose name I've never found out) also played Gotham Bus exec Mr. Peck (the one who first discovered that the so-called "mystery appetizer" was actually dog food) in "A Dog's Life."

And in the final scene, Ralph's reaction after learning Davis himself was a "put-on" artist, and everybody at the table breaking out in laughter.

davenav and Splungeworthy like this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I am proud to say I ran the Star Trek: The Original Series thread and made it to the end. It it is indeed a task. I have loved Ray's work on this thread.

And especially Ray's work on the Get Back sessions! ;)

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Good on ya mate.

davenav and RayS like this.
  4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

This is "What's My Line", live from Sunday, Aug. 21, 1955, on CBS, with Audrey Meadows as the mystery guest. After the panel narrows her to TV, Fred Allen asks whether her show is live or on film, and she and host John Daly are confused, then she answers "yes and no". After she is identified, John Daly explains that it has been live but will be on film, and she says "we start next week filming it". And more.

Audrey starts at 14:37

Luke The Drifter, davenav and RayS like this.
  5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Finally catching up with some episodes - (thanks, flu!)

I love the drama in this one, as it lets the cast show some range, especially Audrey, but Gleason and Carney are in fine form throughout. I was laughing at the noisy sink, the antennae man, and the water pistol when they were introduced, knowing there was going to be a great payoff! And they each played out perfectly.

Oh, and Norton definitely says, "They're killing him!" A line from On The Waterfront, I believe.

6. davenav

There was a change in the furniture between the the two two shooting blocs, I believe. There are new kitchen chairs in the second bloc.

7. W.B.

And it looks like along the way, there was a change in the way the set was lit and the theatre's acoustics, as well.

davenav likes this.
  8. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

Nope, can't hear it! :) Any chance you can dig up a link with the line in OTW?

9. davenav

It seemed quite clear to me, and I had forgotten about the debate in this thread about it.

The OTW thing is just by memory, but I think it's when Brando is taking a beating at the end.

10. RayS

There's just no way I can hear the last word Carney says as "him". "Ya" maybe, "him"?, no chance (just my opinion and ears, of course).

11. davenav

Memory was faulty. The line in OTW is "It's a massacre!"

The line "They're killing him" is From James Dean in Rebel Withiut A Cause, which is after this episode was shot, I think.

Funny how we hear things differently. I'll watch the episode again and see if it hits me as something else.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

One of the reasons I think, that The Honeymooners was such an enjoyable show, was Audrey Meadows participation. What a wonderful, likable woman!

davenav likes this.
  13. W.B.

One thing that should be noted, as I indicated before, of hints of two separate episodes, aired weeks apart, being filmed on the same week, Tuesdays and Fridays. One pair that may've been filmed on the same week - though I know not which order - was "A Woman's Work Is Never Done" and "Something Fishy" whose airing order was eight weeks from each other. The dead giveaway of that, is the way Miss Meadows wore her hair as Alice on those two shows.

14. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The last I asked WPIX about showing the "Lost Episodes", they stated they'd love to but they were not available for syndication.

Beaglemaster, Keith V and RayS like this.
  16. W.B.

I saw the "Life Upon the Wicked Stage" episode of the hour-long color Honeymooners wasn't among the eps. Still, to see these shows should be a treat . . . however, I'll wait to see if and when they turn up in the Used & New section of Amazon.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Just how many not-seen-since-originally-aired episodes are there? As much as I love The Honeymooners, I'm almost getting tired of the inexhaustable vault. It was fun in the 80s.

18. RayS

May you trip over an ottoman for uttering such blasphemy.

Ignatius likes this.
  19. Splungeworthy

20. RayS

The reviewer was shocked that Trixie was former stripper in the musical, but she was a former stripper on the TV show as well ("If the shoe fits, take it off" - Ralph). Norton proudly states that Trixie was the girl in the original "Flugel Street" sketch (aka "Susquehanna Hat Company" sketch).

21. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Don’t forget in one of the lost episodes Ed said he used to take Trixie a rose before work every night. He had to, it was her costume!

RayS likes this.
  22. RayS

The Lost Episodes DVD box (minus the bonus features apparently) is available for "free" streaming via Amazon Prime. They're broken it into 4 "seasons", but a cursory look makes me think everything from '51 to '57 from the box is there.

Splungeworthy and Benno123 like this.
  23. Splungeworthy

Great! I don't have to dig out my DVD's any more!

24. RayS

I'll also mention that I got to see pieces of some "Classic 39" episodes being broadcast on "MeTV" (Sundays@11 p.m.) While they are unedited, they are sped-up to the point of unwatchability (at least for someone very familiar with them). It's amazing to see how the comedic timing (particularly on the "slow burn" moments) is really ruined by this choice, one that the "average" viewer theoretically won't even notice.

Benno123 likes this.
  25. Splungeworthy

This seems to be a thing with syndicated shows, like Seinfeld and especially Friends. Can't watch them at all.

Larry Geller and RayS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.