What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

Elvis Presley and John Lennon were obsessed with numerology towards the end of their lives, and both owned a copy of 'Cheiro's Book of Numbers'.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    pablo fanques likes this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Charles Robinson was in a famous band when he was growing up.

3. WildHoneyPie9

WildHoneyPie9 Forum Resident

The book that Elvis was reading when he died was 'Sex and Psychic Energy' by Betty Bethards.

4. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

The percussion at the start of Al Green's Love & Happiness is actually one of the musicians stamping on a Coca-Cola crate. They still have the crate at Royal Studios in Memphis and they still use it...

5. chrischrischris

chrischrischris Forum Resident

I'm not sure where I read it, but I'm pretty sure there was talk of The Who making a Monkees-esque TV show. It sounds like an idea that Kit Lambert may have conjured up. Anyone have more info?

6. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I've read that too. I think it was in the bio Before I Get Old by Dave Marsh.

7. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

• Tony Hicks used Gerry Marsden's (Gerry & the Pacemakers) Rickenbacker 12-string on the recording of the Hollies' "Yes I Will."

• The Monkees did a version of the song on their debut album, retitled "I'll Be True To You." The Hollies' record was a hit in the UK, but not in the US, so Davy Jones was unaware of the Hollies' version until the reunited Monkees toured England in the '80s and he read a review that mentioned their "cover" of the Hollies' song.

• Gerry Marden's Rickenbacker 360/12 was the fourth Rickenbacker 12-string made:
    #1: Suzy Arden's 360/12
    #2: George Harrison's 360/12
    #3: Mike Campbell's 620/12 (seen on the cover of "Damn the Torpedos")
    #4: Gerry Marsden's 360/12

• Gerry Marsden built his own wooden road case for the guitar, and upon completion realized that it didn't fit length-wise... so he hacked a couple of inches off the headstock!! The guitar was later lost after he left it in the back of a taxi while on tour in Australia.
    :imwithstupid:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Twangy likes this.
  8. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Kirk Hammett owns Peter Green's guitar that he used during his time in Fleetwood Mac.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  9. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

And the self same guitar was previously owned by both Steve Jones, of the Sex Pistols, and Gary Moore.

MikaelaArsenault and Fullbug like this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I never knew about Steve Jones. When did he own it? I'm guessing it was after Moore as he bought it direct from Peter Green.

11. piston broke

piston broke Forum Resident

Hi Vudicus,

Sorry about the delay. But, from what I remember, Steve Jones needed money for drugs so sold it to Gary Moore. I'll try and find the interview.

On a related note, Gary Moore showed the self-same guitar to Peter Green back in the early 80s.

Greeny just stroked it - didn't even try to play it.

Regards

12. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Bill Haley was the king of the Latin Twist. Chubby Checker and Hank Ballard were more well know in the USA but it was Bill Haley who introduced the twist in Mexico.

pablo fanques likes this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

That is a good question- he’s never addressed it

14. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

I had always heard it was part of the "Paul is dead" campaign...hiding the identity of the "new Paul"...

15. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

The answer to the question is, that the picture is of Mal Evans and not Paul. Paul was out of the country when the photo was taken so Mal filled in for Paul with his back turned to the camera.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

We
    ll that was years later, but why choose that shot- I thought it was like the conductor facing the orchestra kind of thing but I dunno

17. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Are you sure ?
    [​IMG]

18. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I am not going to argue about it. I believe that the source was reliable, but it has been many years since I heard that story. The two pictures that you posted have different coloring on John's outfit. And the shot on the back cover could have been shot later when Paul was out of town. Trivia is supposed to be fun, and I have told and retold this story over many years and never had anyone challenge me on the story.

Hammerpeg likes this.
  19. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Coloring varies very easily in pictures. I've seen it as I work in printing. You could print the same picture one after the other and it could be different.

20. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

^^You can also witness that their faces are not the same color from a picture to another.

21. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Re: Mal subbing for Paul--Mal Evans was 6' 6" tall, and a burly guy!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  22. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

Largely forgotten, Bobby Spencer had quite a career. He did these three things:

* Was lead singer of the Cadillacs
    * Laid down the awesome lead vocal on "Gimme Gimme Good Lovin'" by Crazy Elephant
    * Wrote this smash hit:

Steve Litos likes this.
  23. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Man, don't mean to burst your bubble, but there are a lot of outtakes from that photo session. Lots are in the new Pepper box. Would really be a cool piece of trivia if true, but I'm afraid it's just not.

[​IMG]

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Here's a lame one I stumbled on one day.
    In 1980 Olivia Newton John and Cliff Richards recorded a song called Suddenly and in the lyrics it says I'm Ready to sail any "ocean".
    5 years later Billy Ocean recoded a different song called Suddenly
    Lol :laugh:

25. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Olivia Newton-John's former beau found after faking his own death

And Olivia Newton John's boyfreind disappeared while on a sailing trip.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.