New Netflix David Fincher series - Mindhunter

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mattright, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mattright

mattright Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone seen the new David Fincher Netflix series Mindhunter that was released this weekend?
    I really liked it - it seems like it takes place in the same universe as his earlier film Zodiac - based on both the look and subject matter. Nothing groundbreaking here - but it's more in the overall execution and aesthetic.
    It's all so very David Finchery - if you are a fan of his "style". I was never a fan of House of Cards - but that's more due to the subject matter that I just don't find very interesting.

2. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Haven't seen it yet but it is on my watch list. Looking forward to it.

3. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

I'm 3 episodes in and enjoying it...the guy who is playing serial killer Ed Kemper is really good...and terrifying.

MikeInFla, bluesaddict, Geir and 6 others like this.
  4. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I watched the 10 episodes in 2 days and bought the Kindle ebook for £5 this morning.

I liked it. A lot. It was very compelling. I think more than any other TV show it truly felt like one long feature movie.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  5. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I saw David Fincher at the London Film Festival last week. He was very optimistic that with the continuing rise of services like Netflix, a new form of visual storytelling will emerge that will dispense with such concepts as set episode/series length, three act structure etc. Food for thought certainly.

I haven't watched this series yet - it's on my list but time for watching at home is limited in football season...

Malina and googlymoogly like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks for the tip. On my watchlist now.

7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I watched it over 2 days with 6 straight last night. It thought it felt like 1 long movie and felt similar to Zodiac. Quite addicting.

painted8, ex_mixer and turnersmemo like this.
  8. Mychkine

Mychkine Forum Resident

I've watched 6 episodes so far - and it's really excellent.
    Brilliant dialogues, interesting story, good filming, great actors, looks like Zodiac.

Like Harmonica98 said above, a new form for television, 1st episode being 60 minutes and 6th episode is 32 minutes.

A strange thing: dressed like he is in the show, Jonathan Groff reminds me everytime of our President Macron...

9. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I'm six episodes in and I really like it. The performances are all very good. It has the look and feel of an HBO series.

10. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i loved Zodiac! well I guess ill have to accept Netflix's "come back to us" offers

Malina likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Love this!

A question though raised by the exchange between Kemper and the FBI guy - was a*al sex a 'thing' in the 70's? I thought it was a more modern thing.

12. tman53

What! I think people have been having anal sex since tje beginning of time. :)

13. tman53

This is a great series. Definitely feels like the 70's.

turnersmemo likes this.
  14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Goes back to the Romans, and ancient Greeks.

The use of Toto's Hold The Line jumped out at me last night. Supposed to be '77, wasn't released until late '78.

15. It's great so far. Three episodes in. It is definitely structured and styled like both Zodiac and Social Network, two films I love.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Nah, it was the original birth control.

Jim B., Deesky and Myke like this.
  17. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Fans of Fringe will be happy to see Anna Torv playing another smart character.

18. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

With the better TV shows that have come out in the last few years, I find myself pretty unsatisfied with the typical TV show arc and particularly the limitations film running times put on storytelling. A long running season isn't necessarily the best storytelling medium, nor is a two-hour film - but a season of 6-10 episodes can work very well.

19. googlymoogly

Overall, the casting is exceptionally good, particularly that of the lightly fictionalized serial murderers. The actor portraying Kemper is right on the money, something very frightening housed in a blandly polite persona.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    turnersmemo and Gardo like this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

2 episodes in.

Enjoying it.

21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Great soundtrack as well! Worthy of Zodiac or the Fargo TV series.

22. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Reading the praise here I checked it out and got sucked right in for four straight episodes. Excellent show! The leads are superb and personally it's always a treat when I've never laid eyes on any of the actors before. Or at least never noticed them before. Very helpful for the suspension of disbelief. Holt McCallany is especially terrific.

23. googlymoogly

Yes, I wasn't familiar with McCallany before this show - he really embodies the tensions of a pre- and post-Sixties American guy in his line of work, doesn't he?

painted8, EVOLVIST and Dreadnought like this.
  24. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Very much. He really conveys a guy who has been around the block for a number of decades, has personal burdens and yet is keeping his life on track. And as an actor does this without having to eat the scenery with over the top histrionics. It's in his straight face and few words. He's no Al Pacino. "Attica! Attica!" :D

googlymoogly likes this.
  25. Finished the show last night. Didn't realize I was already up to the final episode. Of course now I can wait for more. The series is really just beginning... so much more to tell.